Stacking Raynox DCR-250 on another DCR-250

Status
Not open for further replies.

koyok

Feb 14, 2007
Hi, all. I don't think I saw any related topics on this, so therefore I'm starting this one. We know that a Raynox CM-2000A MacroExplorer 3-in-1 set is essentially a Raynox DCR-150 stacked on top of a Raynox DCR-250. That will produce a +12.8 (4.8 + 8.0) diopter strength. Now I'm thinking whether it is possible to stack a DCR-250 on top of another DCR-250? That will produce +16 diopter strength. Isn't that a more attractive option?

The thing is I haven't got my DCR-250 so I can't test. Anyone has tried this before? I'm interested to know the effects. :lovegrin:

Thanks in advance.

Hi, all. I don't think I saw any related topics on this, so therefore I'm starting this one. We know that a Raynox CM-2000A MacroExplorer 3-in-1 set is essentially a Raynox DCR-150 stacked on top of a Raynox DCR-250. That will produce a +12.8 (4.8 + 8.0) diopter strength. Now I'm thinking whether it is possible to stack a DCR-250 on top of another DCR-250? That will produce +16 diopter strength. Isn't that a more attractive option?

The thing is I haven't got my DCR-250 so I can't test. Anyone has tried this before? I'm interested to know the effects. :lovegrin:

Thanks in advance.

for every closeup filter you stack, you will have a rather significant light lost as well as quality lost. no one is stopping you, but you better have steady hands and a way to bring back the colors and sharpness.

for every closeup filter you stack, you will have a rather significant light lost as well as quality lost. no one is stopping you, but you better have steady hands and a way to bring back the colors and sharpness.

Thanks for your reply Del_CtrlnoAlt. Yes, you are very right, but I'm very curious about the results so I'm wondering if anyone is crazy enough to do it.

I think no need to stack 2 DCR 250.

There is a Raynox MSN 202 which is almost 4 times more powerful than the DCR 250. I heard there is a MSN 505 too, but can't find it in McGill's site.

I think no need to stack 2 DCR 250.

There is a Raynox MSN 202 which is almost 4 times more powerful than the DCR 250. I heard there is a MSN 505 too, but can't find it in McGill's site.

Thanks for your reply, cichlid. Yes, the MSN-202 has a +25 diopter strength. But I'm thinking I might not need that much magnification. Besides, having 2 DCR-250s offers the flexibility of using just 1 or stacking another one for a greater magnification. I might go this way if it is workable.

Now if only some kind souls have the DCR-250 (and probably a 49-52mm step-up ring) to test before I commit my purchase, I'll be most grateful.

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply, cichlid. Yes, the MSN-202 has a +25 diopter strength. But I'm thinking I might not need that much magnification. Besides, having 2 DCR-250s offers the flexibility of using just 1 or stacking another one for a greater magnification. I might go this way if it is workable.

Now if only some kind souls have the DCR-250 (and probably a 49-52mm step-up ring) to test before I commit my purchase, I'll be most grateful.

Thanks!

Oh I see, maybe you can join macro outing (if any), then you sure get to test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.