Spots of Hong Kong in IR

takeshi.lum

Jun 20, 2007
Some of my shots while I was in HK. Out of the 4 days I was there, there was only 1 day which I could see the sun. The other days were full of mist.

I planned a trip to Tai-O to get some nice shots, but too bad, it rained on that day.

#1 - I left my tools here...
Shot at Kowloon Park. The park cleaner left his trolley here and went out of the frame to do some trimmings. So I conveniently took a shot while he is gone.
4492776823_f86046bb1e.jpg

#2 - Slit houses
Slit houses in Tai-O, It is a fishing village. It was raining that day so I found a spot to rest and hide from the rain in a small but nice cafe. That explains the heavy mist in the background Took a shot at the back of the cafe.
4486456124_1e2af11fbd.jpg

#3 - Leaving you behind
I was on a ferry leaving for Cheung Chau. This depicts the ferry slowly leaving Hong Kong at the back of the ferry. That day was quite misty too, so that explains for the mist in the background too.
4531093218_c594b3b8ef.jpg

Last edited:
#1 is nice.

A garang-guni man's trolley or is he the park's cleaner or both?

thanks bro :)
that is the park cleaner's trolley. he went off the frame to do some trimming on bushes.

#2 is interesting with the mist and the B&W treatment .. it most look like it was snowing :thumbsup:

The concentric circle of the floor tiles in #1 gives it a great sense of pattern!
I like that composition.
With the yellow foliage, it further enhances the strong sense of IR.
Lovely!

ei bro, you seem to be everywhere!:) how i wish i have time to shoot lots like you... please post some more of your hong kong IR shots!:thumbsup:

#2 is interesting with the mist and the B&W treatment .. it most look like it was snowing :thumbsup:

thanks bro! its actually raining cats and dogs, and i looked like an idiot cos i sheltered my cameras while others are sheltering themselves :bsmilie:

The concentric circle of the floor tiles in #1 gives it a great sense of pattern!
I like that composition.
With the yellow foliage, it further enhances the strong sense of IR.
Lovely!

thanks bro!! there are quite a lot of things to shoot in kowloon park, many would make nice IR pictures :D

go have a try in hk too hehe

Last edited:
ei bro, you seem to be everywhere!:) how i wish i have time to shoot lots like you... please post some more of your hong kong IR shots!:thumbsup:

haha! this is what i do when the ladies go shopping and i've got nth else to do ;)

if u wanna go HK for shoots, go when its warmer or the mist will make u headache. i wish i could have more time too! so i can go to more places :bsmilie:

#4 - nailed
The focus was supposedly on the nail, but I guess it shifted to the left a bit. Had to use a low shutter speed cos of the rain so there wasnt much light. This was taken from a stool at the cafe on Tai-O.
4534371417_681b91e069.jpg

#4 - nailed
The focus was supposedly on the nail, but I guess it shifted to the left a bit. Had to use a low shutter speed cos of the rain so there wasnt much light. This was taken from a stool at the cafe on Tai-O.

Wah... your wooden table is of such a natural colour that if we hadn't known that it is an IR picture, we couldn't even tell!
Great treatment, my friend!

#4 - nailed
4534371417_681b91e069.jpg

ei bro, so this is your "nailed" thing!:bsmilie: i personally like the composition, have you tried doing it in B & W? i think it'd be :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wah... your wooden table is of such a natural colour that if we hadn't known that it is an IR picture, we couldn't even tell!
Great treatment, my friend!

haha! thanks!
but doesnt it defeat the purpose of IR already :think:

ei bro, so this is your "nailed" thing!:bsmilie: i personally like the composition, have you tried doing it in B & W? i think it'd be :thumbsup::thumbsup:

thanks Wurdelak, yup this is my "nailed" shot;)
havnt tried it in B&W, i think tonite i can try and play with it somemore.

#5 - Feeling purple?
Shot this at Kowloon Park, at the same location as #1. They had these little colourful flowers displaying on beside the walkway.
4481748164_451bcca53b.jpg

haha! thanks!
but doesnt it defeat the purpose of IR already :think:

Haha... that is what I began to ask myself lately when I played too much with the colours such that the IR shots become normal shots.
But no worries... IR will always be IR.

#5 - Feeling purple?
Shot this at Kowloon Park, at the same location as #1. They had these little colourful flowers displaying on beside the walkway.
4481748164_451bcca53b.jpg

This is nice!
Your flower colour is very good!

Haha... that is what I began to ask myself lately when I played too much with the colours such that the IR shots become normal shots.
But no worries... IR will always be IR.

This is nice!
Your flower colour is very good!

thanks bro!!

for now, i only try to put in 1 color for drawing the attention to the main point in the picture.

#6 - Among the living and the dead

Taken in Cheung Chau while the ferry is inching towards the jetty. Those rectangular structures above the houses are actually graves or rather tombstone. These houses are among the trees, which are the living things, and above them are their ancestors. Thus, the title "Among the living and the dead"
4530457197_0f41075e59.jpg

#7 - Docked
Taken in Cheung Chau while the ferry is inching towards the jetty. These ships are docked and chained to each other.
4505099369_0dbc9065d3.jpg

Last edited: