S'pore eyes holidaymakers to boost population

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parchiao

Deregistered
Jan 2, 2003
Visit site
SINGAPORE, May 19 (Reuters) - Singapore is to allow young foreign holidaymakers to work in the city-state as part of efforts to attract skilled migrants, leading newspapers said on Saturday.
Singapore, which wants to raise its population from 4.5 million to 6.5 million, will allow undergraduates and graduates from seven countries -- including France, Germany, Britain and the United States -- and the Chinese region of Hong Kong to look for employment while on holiday in the country.

"This programme will target to bring bright young people to Singapore," Manpower Minister Ng Eng Hen was quoted by The Business Times newspaper.

The government hopes these students, aged between 17 and 30, will return to Singapore after an initial working holiday of up to six months.

"These students and graduates are a rich source of talent whom we should try to tap on when they eventually join the workforce," he added.

Singapore is widely seen as one of the world's freest economies but it also has one of the lowest global birth-rates.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is going to backfire. Singaporeans are going to face stiffer competition, work harder and longer hours, have less time for children let alone have children to begin with. Foreigners from foreign countries are not going to have many children anyway, and they will not be any guarantees that foreigners from developed countries will want to settle down here because they will feel they have downgraded, more likely for this to happen for those from China and India as it is an upgrade for them, just like our forefathers.

In my opinion, what will be attracted would be backpackers, they most likely stay in Singapore a couple of months IF they can find casual jobs, IF they are willing to accept the low rates. After they earn enough for the next destination, they will just leave.

Although there might be some who find Singapore a nice place to stay when they finished their backpacking trips, I doubt there will be many.

Also, with more people coming in to find jobs, I think there's gonna be more competition in the casual job market. What about students on holidays or students working part time.........

To me, it seems we are being squeezed out.........

NEVER MIX WORK WITH LEISURE...

go holiday still wanna work... who the hell implemented this?

which boss in the right mind would wanna employ them?

no point complaining so much.

this country don't belong to you.:sticktong

This is going to backfire. Singaporeans are going to face stiffer competition, work harder and longer hours, have less time for children let alone have children to begin with. Foreigners from foreign countries are not going to have many children anyway, and they will not be any guarantees that foreigners from developed countries will want to settle down here because they will feel they have downgraded, more likely for this to happen for those from China and India as it is an upgrade for them, just like our forefathers.

i think 'top management' want their seeds only, they can leave after they have planted them on our soil...

no wonder talking about more liberal now...

i think 'top management' want their seeds only, they can leave after they have planted them on our soil...

no wonder talking about more liberal now...

LOL! :bsmilie: I am gonna start teaching my about to be 3 year old girl that all foreign b-a-s-t-a-r-d-s only want to plant seeds!

A new volcabuary has been invented: "Chiat Hong Choo Kang".

Mostly young Ang Mohs from 7 countries can come.

Maybe some can become cheap models for us? :bsmilie:

think i wanna change my profession to locksmith, sell locks and help pple unlock. :bsmilie:

Foreigners from foreign countries are not going to have many children anyway, and they will not be any guarantees that foreigners from developed countries will want to settle down here because they will feel they have downgraded, more likely for this to happen for those from China and India as it is an upgrade for them, just like our forefathers.

Only young people from Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, the UK and US can come one.

China and India are not in the list.

Why not? Models, short term promoters, service staff during crunch times (such as F1 period)...

Due to my job I come accross such people that either come here on holidays or for a brief assignment and want to stay and work.

Would that increae the birth rate?

Come on !

With the standard of living rising and the size of the appartements diminishing, ppl have less children since they put material needs and education before the number of children.

No foreigner is going to change that. He wil just adjust like everybody. It will only increase the population of adults. Not babies.

Because China "holiday-workers" are already present in our society. No need for new regulations to say so. They are seed collectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.