spend $371 on sec 1 textbooks !

Status
Not open for further replies.
ask u an honest question , do u think u really need that tablet PC to study and pass exams ? it cost 2k ! i mean it is not 200 ! and will u utilize it fully until your O levels are over ?

why loan ? didn't our education system should be teaching us to be financially wise ?

Good asking, erm.. mum?
But you are asking a 13yr old boy? ;)

Y so expensive? I think max should be like $200... For me,not necessary to get all the exercise books etc... get them when teacher needs them.During sec 1,I bought 10 exercise books,teacher never used even one.

this is very true. most textbook resellers come up with a list full of unnecessary items to maximise their revenue.

since your kid is already sec 1, he/she shld be able to judge what he'd need. and buy only when the teacher requires the items. scan thru the booklist carefully to make sure every single item in there is required. that'll shave off some cost. otherwise you'd find that you'll be spending money on worthless crap every year. the usual culprits are dictionaries, excercise books, art & craft materials, stationery etc.

but then again this being his first year in sec sch, it is perhaps ok to buy stuff that you only need to buy once (i.e. dictionary) - as this can be used throughout sec sch I think. however if he requests for a more complex version, give it to him. otherwise sod it. it wouldn't make a diff to buy a more pro dict and not use the extra features. hey that sounds like cameras doesn't it... :bsmilie:

in short, just buy anything that is absolutely necessary.

2k On A Compulsory Tablet? Siao Ah? Better Buy A Good DSLR... Then You Kids Can Play Truant And Become Good Photographers And Make Money...:devil:

World Class education = World Class Pain in the As.s

Sometimes you wonder if the government is doing things to make life better for the people or just trying to prove to the world.

My casio fx991 just died on me recently. :bsmilie:

just do away with textbooks,everyone buy a laptop(use edusave to pay for it, else u also dunno where to spend that edusave money), school buy license for e-books and distribute. :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

just do away with textbooks,everyone buy a laptop(use edusave to pay for it, else u also dunno where to spend that edusave money), school buy license for e-books and distribute. :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

actually there has already been calls of suggestion to make all textbooks online. Softcopy, readable on internet. Since Singapore is heading towards a high speed cyber nation, why not make our schools cyber ? make them online .. submit homework online.. ask and discussion questions online in forums or chat rooms. We can save money spend on paper and printers. We can even cut down academic hours at school, spend more time at ECA sports.. as i see a need to lose some weights in kids.. they just love fast food too much.

;)

e-books on the computer screens are plain hard to read. And how to highlight, draw mindmaps, add notes quickly during lessons? Books and paper still better...

Ebooks suck la. I'm an avid reader.. one month at least read 2 different books of different genre. I tried eBooks before.. Strain my eyes until damn pain. Really no point.

Your kids like fast food? Whose fault is it? I'm 18 this year and I remember when I was young, my parents never allowed or brought me to any fast food outlets. So over time, I never asked for it cause I know ask also no use, ask for what? haha. I thank them for that now, for I'm not very fat. Now when I'm older, I can decide for myself whether I want to eat the harmful transfat, saturated fat filled burgers and drumsticks.

Also are you sure they will like sports. If my memory serves me right in secondary school, usually all the fatter people do not like to participate in sports. I think seriously, fastfood harms our world by and they do it by the most irresponsible method. By targetting the children.

e-books on the computer screens are plain hard to read. And how to highlight, draw mindmaps, add notes quickly during lessons? Books and paper still better...
there's software to do all that already. u would be surprised at the intuitiveness...haha

I use to claim for my nieces on their yearly assignment bks. One of them, pri 6 next yr, claim ard $150! So, next time want to have kids, think 101 times first. :confused:

Sori for asking a silly qtn.

Text book and uniform got GST or not ?

:confused: gave up schooling years back liao :bsmilie:

Sori for asking a silly qtn.

Text book and uniform got GST or not ?

:confused: gave up schooling years back liao :bsmilie:

oh yah.. didn't check it.

btw, i feel our education products and services should be exempted from GST ! students don't work and got no income. What is the justitification for them to pay taxes ? right .. ? ;)

wow. that's pretty ex. I spent around $220+ at the most on my Sec one books.... hmmm. Wonder where the heck are they now.... lol. :p

oh ya. Inflation rates horh. that's around, I dunno, 2% each year?

crescent (is it still a girls' school? :dunno: ) have people from the middle and low income group as well mind you.

Having a tablet PC? I have no idea what good it'll do the students.

"Ms Tan, I can hand in my work cos my Tablet is infected with virus"

If you are a boy and you study in Crescent Girls' School, then you must be "neutered" :bsmilie:

asexual =D

anyway i believe my secondary school books like during sec 3 and 4 is around 200+ as well. and that was like 4yrs ago.

and when i was in sec 1, my batch of express students was the first batch in secondary school to use tablets if im not wrong. sponsered and on trial during that time and costs 1-2k each as well. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.