Specifications of Tripod Screw

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi there, anyone knows the specs of a tripod screw?
ie the diameter, and the length between each screw thread. trying to find a bolt that fits a camera tripod hole.

It also seems that taps and dies uses this formula XMY, e.g. 3M0.6, where the first number is the diameter of the bolt and the second is the size of the threads...

anyone can assist?
thanks

The tripod screw is not defined by the metric system.

The screw size is normally referred to as 4-20, or 1/4-20

I think it means 1/4 inch diameter and the 20 refers to the thread density. Maybe 20 threads in 1 inch.

Should be able to find the screws as well as tap and die tools from hardware store.

- Roy

So i just go to a hardware store and tell them "hey gimme a 4-20 bolt and they would know what i'm talking abt?

At least that's how I got them here is US, except that all the parts are labelled clearly on the packaging.

In singapore, you will have a better chance by bringing your camera along, so that you can verify if the screws you get ar ethe right ones on the spot, since most stores don't have a very good return policy.

If the hardware store don't understand what is 4-20 screw, then just describe verbally to them lor. 1/4 inch diameter with 20 threads per inch. That should do the job.

By the way, 4-20 only specifies the threaded part of the screw.

You have to tell the shopowner the type of screw head (flat, philips, hex etc) and the length of the screw.

Hi,
roygoh is correct....but i think the correct term should be #1/4-20, (pronounce as quarter-twenty), not 4-20.

common coarse Unified screw come in (from small to big) 2-56, 4-40, 5-40, 6-32, 8-32, 10-24, 1/4-20...(Ø in inch)

there is also fine thread series which seldom use, only 10-32 is common use in industry

metric screw is simpler: M2, M2.5.....etc (Ø in mm)

when buying unified screw, u need to state the lenght also: 1/4-20 x 1/2L ( 0.5 in long), this lenght refer to the total lenght excluding the head, but including the unthreaded part.

type of head: Flat , round, truss or hex socket head (need allen key)

material: carbonize (black in color), or stainless steel (more $ but strenght)

hope this help...

Just saw this thread...

See here for info on imperial fasterners....

Cheers!

Originally posted by vince123123
.... trying to find a bolt that fits a camera tripod hole.

Hi Vince,

would this be, by any chance, for a Slik tripod/ ballhead?

eh i'm just looking for the specifications for the standard tripod screw mount...it works for any tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.