Sorrow of a songstress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IloveBeaches

Dec 19, 2008
androidsinboots.com
This is a photo taken for ntu hall production. C&C welcome.

photographer:me
art director: william chua
DI artist: dennis

10a_ppa.jpg

nice attempt.. but abit off focus..
add some noise to heighten the mood?
hmm good to see something different in the ntu hall production poster.. been flooded with lousy ones for a very long time already.. hahaha

The newspapers on the wall makes the photo a slanted horizontally but it could be a style thing - Am quite anal when it comes to horizontal and vertical axis actually.

A little more headroom would be nice I guess. Great for magazine cover but as a picture itself, I'd position her a little off centre. Maybe a landscape format would look art-ier too.

Have fun shooting. :)

nice attempt.. but abit off focus..
add some noise to heighten the mood?
hmm good to see something different in the ntu hall production poster.. been flooded with lousy ones for a very long time already.. hahaha

i didnt want the noise cause i want it to have abit more on the glamorous side.
hahha. thanks. i do agree on the lousy photos though.
u should watch that play.the musical concert story line is very good.
anyway u sounded like u are from ntu.

there is abit out of focus? i dont see it. or maybe i am getting old and eyes is failing

The newspapers on the wall makes the photo a slanted horizontally but it could be a style thing - Am quite anal when it comes to horizontal and vertical axis actually.

A little more headroom would be nice I guess. Great for magazine cover but as a picture itself, I'd position her a little off centre. Maybe a landscape format would look art-ier too.

Have fun shooting. :)

ha. i think everyone will have something that they are anal about.
i dont wana make the newspapers so uniform and straight. it's not realistic i feel.

headroom i agreee. the lens i was using wasnt wide enough in the narrow alley.
i did the landscape too but prefer this.

and to say is great for a magazine cover , i dont dare to accept that compliment.

Hi there, a very nice potrait taken i would say. With all due respects, what puzzles me most is the title of this photo. IMO, I did not get the sorrow nor the feeling that shes a songstress, pardon me if I'm direct and inexperienced in giving comments. What i felt when i saw this pic was the cool and moody feeling of the model, the setting and the model's pose was bringing out the model's Qi Pao itself, my conclusion would be that its a Qi Pao Shop's advertising that Qi Pao is still a fasion icon even in the modern times. But it's really a striking photo with a natural striking pose by the model and the moddy setting was created very well.

For my case i would set-up the model on a street with a mic infront and a darker tone qi pao and not striking any pose, then setting up strangers passing by and not noticing her, using a slow shutter speed to create the blurred passer-by effect. Also the model would by showing a reluctant and sian mood to carry on singing. Would that work? Im not sure but thats my idea, no offence.

Sorry for blabbering so much but i really do fancy and get excited about these types of themes and i like to know more about it. Uhh if im really getting nowhere with these stuffs im blabbering, please pardon me.

Sincerely

and to say is great for a magazine cover , i dont dare to accept that compliment.

What I meant was, if this was for mag cover or editorial spread where layout of copy/text is typically surrounding the subject/model, then it's great. Hence, I mentioned a landscape format with rule of thirds applied would be better for a photo itself. ;)

Last edited:
IMHO, the right arm looks kinda flat. So does the forehead area. No feel of sorrow either. The eye makeup on the left eye seems kinda weird, or is it some weird shadow ? If not, will make a rather nice low key pic.

Thanks

i kind of like the "feel" of this photograph, but there's one very crucial lacking factor.

the most important thing that's missing is that it doesn't seem as if the model is posing for you.

were you the only photographer? no eye contact is fine, but this one seems to have happened and was taken at a moment when the model was caught off-guard by something else - i'm guessing it's something that she could have been looking at, judging from how she seems to be looking at something near your feet.

the color tone of the entire DI is fine, but i feel like the transition of highlights to shadows on the skin is not nice and gradual - just a three-tiered "transition", which kinda shows that the exposure values were highly tweaked for contrast.

agree with a previous newspaper and horizon comment.

would prefer wider angle.

nice try but slightly don't work for me, this shot.

This is a photo taken for ntu hall production. C&C welcome.

photographer:me
art director: william chua
DI artist: dennis

10a_ppa.jpg
lovely art!AHAAAAAAA! did i read correctly art director --->>>is william chua? u must be special;p ucant go wrong w/ a master like him kudos to your group...more please:lovegrin:

i like this actually, the treatment really works, and the palette is not gimmicky, it could have been.

i think the only bone i have to pick with this picture is the model's ring - or whatever seems to be a ring, that black spot on her right hand on the hip. it really keeps catching my attention, and does not seem to go with the outfit.

on a side note, wish the hair didn't quite blend with the thing in the background; and perhaps a little less dof to isolate her from the background might be good, i.e. make her stand further from the wall.

nonetheless it is a very nice picture! :)

Last edited:
Really like this pic. Love the feel. Guess the feeling you wanted to bring out was a throwback to the 1950s with the look of a songbird waiting for her lover as promised to redeem her from her plight.

In fact, the way I see it, almost everything works. I will not say much about the lighting as it is a DIed pic, but to me the shadows are a little off, esp with the hair. Seems like a blob of black on the right. The hair that is sticking from underneath the hairpin seems to be a little messy, not too sure if that was intentional or not. If she was going on stage to perform, the hair should be on place. Given the shadow on the wall, seems the light source was on the ground at a 50 degree angle up, I could be wrong here, so I stand to be corrected. The shadow feels harsh to me, would have preferred a softer shadow, so I guess the DOF and angle here could be played around.

The good here is that I love the look of the model. Esp her eyes. It has a cold look, but yet there is a softness in her eyes. The make up probably did that. The theme sorrow I believe comes from the eyes. Something that comes out first to me in the pic. The feel of the dress works here. I see a top songbird that everyone wants to bed, but yet, she refuses everyone, except the one she is waiting for. And even her mamasan is putting her up for 'sale' to the highest bidder, hence the gold cheongsam.

Sorry...watch to many HK dramas. :sweat:

Hi there, a very nice potrait taken i would say. With all due respects, what puzzles me most is the title of this photo. IMO, I did not get the sorrow nor the feeling that shes a songstress, pardon me if I'm direct and inexperienced in giving comments. What i felt when i saw this pic was the cool and moody feeling of the model, the setting and the model's pose was bringing out the model's Qi Pao itself, my conclusion would be that its a Qi Pao Shop's advertising that Qi Pao is still a fasion icon even in the modern times. But it's really a striking photo with a natural striking pose by the model and the moddy setting was created very well.

For my case i would set-up the model on a street with a mic infront and a darker tone qi pao and not striking any pose, then setting up strangers passing by and not noticing her, using a slow shutter speed to create the blurred passer-by effect. Also the model would by showing a reluctant and sian mood to carry on singing. Would that work? Im not sure but thats my idea, no offence.

haha i dont find u blabbering senselessly. ha u must be interested in shoots like this as well? u sounded more excited to me.
thanks, i shall try finding interested qi bao shop to buy the photo from me.hahaha.

ya i thought of something like that before! i also think it's nice. but due to time constraint, didnt manage to do it. and i dont blame u for not understanding the title as u can only understand when i release the whole series which is not possible as the hall crew do not want the photos to be seen by others yet. and if u are really so excited about this kinda story, come watch the play! haha

IMHO, the right arm looks kinda flat. So does the forehead area. No feel of sorrow either. The eye makeup on the left eye seems kinda weird, or is it some weird shadow ? If not, will make a rather nice low key pic.

Thanks

mm.i dont really get the arm and forehead looks flat. but sharp eyes! i didnt notice the left eye! was due to DI. thanks for pointing out, will try to improve on that.

A good pic but can be better.
the DI is badly done for the skin tone & more "space" might have a better impact.

thank you.i too agree in many ways that it can be improve. skin tone is one of them .
mmm. since like most of u guys prefer the larger space. i dont know man, i look at those with spaces but they dont work for me. maybe i didnt execute properly.

the most important thing that's missing is that it doesn't seem as if the model is posing for you.

were you the only photographer? no eye contact is fine, but this one seems to have happened and was taken at a moment when the model was caught off-guard by something else - i'm guessing it's something that she could have been looking at, judging from how she seems to be looking at something near your feet.

the color tone of the entire DI is fine, but i feel like the transition of highlights to shadows on the skin is not nice and gradual - just a three-tiered "transition", which kinda shows that the exposure values were highly tweaked for contrast.

nice try but slightly don't work for me, this shot.

yes i am, the position and expression was directed specially and specifically.
mmm. ya the exposure vales were highly tweaked for contrast i guess, this, i direct it back to dennis, the DI Artist of this photo. haha
thanks for the C& C.

lovely art!AHAAAAAAA! did i read correctly art director --->>>is william chua? u must be special;p ucant go wrong w/ a master like him kudos to your group...more please:lovegrin:

everyone is special. and your work are even more special.
i wish man! same name,different person. hahah.
no more, william chua say STOP with ONE.hahaa.

i like this actually, the treatment really works, and the palette is not gimmicky, it could have been.

i think the only bone i have to pick with this picture is the model's ring - or whatever seems to be a ring, that black spot on her right hand on the hip. it really keeps catching my attention, and does not seem to go with the outfit.

on a side note, wish the hair didn't quite blend with the thing in the background; and perhaps a little less dof to isolate her from the background might be good, i.e. make her stand further from the wall.

nonetheless it is a very nice picture! :)

all thanks to dennis. i am no good in DI. ya ring. my bad, come to think of it, it doesnt really fits the colour of outfit. ya lost some details.
cant further already! alley damn narrow and my lens 18mm already.at my limit.
anyway i intentionally want her to stay close, as i want the shadow to be captured in the frame.
thanks for C&C!

Really like this pic. Love the feel. Guess the feeling you wanted to bring out was a throwback to the 1950s with the look of a songbird waiting for her lover as promised to redeem her from her plight.

In fact, the way I see it, almost everything works. I will not say much about the lighting as it is a DIed pic, but to me the shadows are a little off, esp with the hair. Seems like a blob of black on the right. The hair that is sticking from underneath the hairpin seems to be a little messy, not too sure if that was intentional or not. If she was going on stage to perform, the hair should be on place. Given the shadow on the wall, seems the light source was on the ground at a 50 degree angle up, I could be wrong here, so I stand to be corrected. The shadow feels harsh to me, would have preferred a softer shadow, so I guess the DOF and angle here could be played around.

The good here is that I love the look of the model. Esp her eyes. It has a cold look, but yet there is a softness in her eyes. The make up probably did that. The theme sorrow I believe comes from the eyes. Something that comes out first to me in the pic. The feel of the dress works here. I see a top songbird that everyone wants to bed, but yet, she refuses everyone, except the one she is waiting for. And even her mamasan is putting her up for 'sale' to the highest bidder, hence the gold cheongsam.

Sorry...watch to many HK dramas. :sweat:

hair abit messy, not intentional, that is one of the thing i am most bothered about. i want the harsh shadow, fits the story better i feel. dof and angle i play alot alot alot. hahaha. but this is the one that works for me. finally someone share the same view of her eyes as me!

and wth! u can read the photos and title so well! almost everything correct except that its not so cliche. abit of twist added. haha
mm. i think we must have been watching the same hk dramas!

Last edited:
oooh i love this kinda shot. very different- in a good way of course.
the processing and styling are spot on. she kinda looks like lucy liu :D

Thx for the spontaneous reply, all the best and good luck for the play, break a leg for the songstress! Kudos to the rest of the crew that were behind this shot too!

And btw u should mention that its a series at first mah! haha.

Not too sure the hairdo/style and the dress both belongs to the same period of time ( can't recall seeing this type of qi-pao type of styling in those olden b/w movies of the 30's,40's od 50's). wish she had a neckline slightly longer to fit that high collar.

oooh i love this kinda shot. very different- in a good way of course.
the processing and styling are spot on. she kinda looks like lucy liu :D

hahah. thank you velasco. and that u remind me to credit on my mua and hair-stylist!
wow,lucy liu. then she got the right role to act. and i must tell her that!

Thx for the spontaneous reply, all the best and good luck for the play, break a leg for the songstress! Kudos to the rest of the crew that were behind this shot too!

And btw u should mention that its a series at first mah! haha.

hahaha. tonight i am very spontaneous because i cant sleep and u can know the reason from the other thread. hahaha.
she almost broke my arm though. haha
ya! kudos! without them none of this would have been possible. know i realise the teamwork in photography. usually is just me,model and mua.

hahah.dont want to say la, later people will ask me to post more or share the story. and ntu will kill me.

Not too sure the hairdo/style and the dress both belongs to the same period of time ( can't recall seeing this type of qi-pao type of styling in those olden b/w movies of the 30's,40's od 50's). wish she had a neckline slightly longer to fit that high collar.

i am sure there is, at least i saw it on tv before. i thought the neckline was fine. but maybe longer will be better.

a) The lighting is rather harsh, but you’ve post processed the shot.

b) Light fall-off ? yeah, it’s there. Keep looking.

c) Editing gave you some problems? There’s vertical rash line on her face. Model looks like she’s gotten a black (reddish) eye. Then the rash trickled to her arm (and side)?

d) Her hair merged into the background, made it look like she wearing the background.

e) The ring, looks like a puncture to her fingers.

f) How would one know if she's a songtress, could be a waitress, or hostess, oh well, you told us right?

remedy? Sorry, I can only share what I was told,
“all I can suggest is you can put down your camera for a moment, go to any one of our National Public Libraries, borrow some books about portrait photography, and start to do some serious reading”.-catchlights
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454762&page=2 (posting no. 7)

ooh love the theme. reminds me of Shanghai Jazz Lounge.
By the way, is she pregnant? Not sure why she touched her belly.
Nice pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.