Sony RX100 Mark III

Manual focus does not let u choose the focus point, it allows you to adjust the "distance" to focus. Its particularly useful for videos or shooting a stationary subject.

For the focus point, you need to choose "flexible spot" if I remember correctly, you can do this both ways. One which u have said, is to scroll through the huge menus. The other is to press the function button while you're shooting... and select the type of focus u want, choose flexible spot and move the spot anywhere u want on the screen. This can be done, if I remember correctly. The function button will be particularly useful towards shooting, I see reviews say that u could change the items on function menu as well.

oh okay thanks!!

im still playing ard with the camera, trying to get use to it :)
i do read that the functions button can be program...but im still not very sure how to do it...perhaps i should read my manual in more detail

oh okay thanks!!

i do read that the functions button can be program...but im still not very sure how to do it...perhaps i should read my manual in more detail

I also just got this cam, and loving the quality and functions for such a small package.

The function menu, as well as the Custom key (the button at the bottom right hand corner with the big C) can all be adjusted. Look for the menu under the picture of a gear, sub-menu 4. You can adjust them there.

oh okay thanks!!

I also just got this cam, and loving the quality and functions for such a small package.

The function menu, as well as the Custom key (the button at the bottom right hand corner with the big C) can all be adjusted. Look for the menu under the picture of a gear, sub-menu 4. You can adjust them there.

Interesting method :) but I thinking will this method damage the camera in any way ?

Found this out by accident.

If you push the evf down say about halfway and hold, and then press and hold the power button, then continue pushing the evf all the way down, the camera will not shut down.

Will try and post a video of this procedure tonight.

OMG, this trick works! What a good workaround for the big irritation until Sony fixes this in the next firmware (hopefully).

Since the actions are still the same as per normal storage of the viewfinder, I doubt will have any damage to the camera. Thanks!

This cam so small, I just use my old pouch for my Samsung phone. Bulges just a little, but so convenient on my waist when I travel now, and got space for strap and cleaning cloth some more. Nice!

I bought a KATA pouch for it.

anybody got a pouch to recommend for this camera?

OMG, this trick works! What a good workaround for the big irritation until Sony fixes this in the next firmware (hopefully).

Since the actions are still the same as per normal storage of the viewfinder, I doubt will have any damage to the camera. Thanks!

Good to know this technique helps someone.

Here's the short video I made to demonstrate this trick again.

[youtube]XA4vfvIuPF4&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

With the camera still on, press the EVF as far down as possible without totally closing it, and hold it there. Now press and hold the power button then quickly and simultaneously press down the EVF completely. The LCD screen will black out momentarily but the camera will not shut down.

Last edited:
I would like to have some of experts' opinions here. I am a new adopter of RX100M3, like it a lot, expecially the DOF and the colour, and size of the camera. I will be bringing it for my coming Korea trip in Oct, mainly taking photos of scenery and my wife and 2yo boy. May I ask, what is be best/optimum settings that I should use for the trip? Or I should just stick to the Inteligence mode?

I would like to have some of experts' opinions here. I am a new adopter of RX100M3, like it a lot, expecially the DOF and the colour, and size of the camera. I will be bringing it for my coming Korea trip in Oct, mainly taking photos of scenery and my wife and 2yo boy. May I ask, what is be best/optimum settings that I should use for the trip? Or I should just stick to the Inteligence mode?

This is a very vague question. Both scenery and portrait photography have very different settings, especially the F stop. Nobody will recommend you the Auto mode here in a photography forum. Your question can be solve if you learn the very basic of manual control, basically the focal length, shutter speed and iso settings. Perhaps u could do some research on youtube tutorial videos or attend the Sony Cyber Shot workshop that is free with purchase of the camera.

Agree with muscular.
If you're not comfortable with the Priority modes, you can start with the various preset scene mode...night scenery, portrait, indoor, etc.
Note the aperture and shutter settings for the images and you can learn the settings from there.

Just came back from Funan to check out the RX100 III vs Canon G7X.

Both are really nice, but price of Canon G7X is much more attractive currently with just $695. The lowest price for RX100 III is around $1045 (with 16GB card + 1 extra original battery). If you don't need the EVF for such a compact camera, the G7X seems a better buy with a nicer zoom to 100mm.

G7X is Made in Japan with very good built quality. RX100 III is Made in China, but built quality is good too, and has in built EVF.

Heard from a shop that price of RX100 III has started dropping recently, and may drop further with the G7X getting more buyers and with competition from the forthcoming LX100.

Good news for potential buyers!

Forgot to mention. Did not do a direct comparison of both G7X and RX100 III, but the G7X seems very sharp and very close in image quality vs RX100 III. Even with max zoom at 100mm, the G7X still holds details very well.
Unfortunately the popup flash on the G7X can't be bent to allow for bounce, and there's no provision for an externall evf/ovf mount. But the touchscreen is a plus over the RX100M3, and has more filter effects for those who like them.

Having owned a few Canon cams before, including the G1X, the jpegs on Canon seem nicer than those from Sony in general, but would not matter to those who shoot mainly in raw.

Both are indeed excellent cams, and many would be just as happy owning anyone of them. For me, the evf and flash-bounce capability of the RX100M3 are indispensable, and having owned and enjoyed the RX100M1 before, it's just a matter of natural progression.

I love the Rx100m3 for the flash can do bounce, and also its EVF to allow me to see preview under super bright sunlight.

But i also love the G7x can do 100mm at f/2.8, the $700 price and Touchscreen!

[video=youtube;8T4qFmVbULk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T4qFmVbULk[/video]

[video=youtube;_E6Mxxe_kG4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E6Mxxe_kG4&list=UUqpOf_Nl5F4tjwlxOVS6h8A[/video]

Where to go for the lowest price for the RX100 M3?

I am interested to know as well.
Wanted to go Funan to have a look but seriously i think previous post from shaneloh that price + free gift consider very cheap already
but problem is dunno which shop ><

Dear guys,

I am selling my ep5 currently. Have switch from apsc to m4/3 and still find that the gears are way too heavy. Thinking of the RX100 m3 but cannot commit due to the 1 inch sensor. I hate changing lenses so I was thinking of the em5 elite black but the total weight will be worst than my ep5 with prime and probably the same as my previous canon 550D plus 15-85mm. I only use my camera during holidays and seldom use it in singapore at all.

I like to take handheld night shots overseas like those street shots of buildings. night markets etc. Can somebody post some samples of unedited pics from the rx100 m3 of night time handheld street shots so that I can view the noise level. The max iso I use on my cameras is 1600.

does the rx100 m3 loses out alot to the current olympus m4/3 sensors on em1, ep5 etc? Thanks.

This might give you an idea of what you can do handheld on the M3 https://lightwerks.exposure.co/rx100m3 (Note: All shots edited from RAW via LR, with light NR)

In general I think compared with the sensor on the EP5, the RX100M3 'loses' out by around 1 stop of usable high ISO, but that is completely subjective to the canvas size you use for your images. For me, the M3 is perfectly usable up to ISO800; you could also push the M3 to ISO1600 if needed but would need to do a little more post processing noise work.

You need to also consider if you would be ok to give up on the flexibility of changing lenses etc to go with a fixed lens compact. Another option would be the new LX100 which uses a m43 sensor, but I am not sure if that is around the same size as your EP5 (which by the way is a pretty small camera already :))

This might give you an idea of what you can do handheld on the M3 https://lightwerks.exposure.co/rx100m3 (Note: All shots edited from RAW via LR, with light NR)

In general I think compared with the sensor on the EP5, the RX100M3 'loses' out by around 1 stop of usable high ISO, but that is completely subjective to the canvas size you use for your images. For me, the M3 is perfectly usable up to ISO800; you could also push the M3 to ISO1600 if needed but would need to do a little more post processing noise work.

You need to also consider if you would be ok to give up on the flexibility of changing lenses etc to go with a fixed lens compact. Another option would be the new LX100 which uses a m43 sensor, but I am not sure if that is around the same size as your EP5 (which by the way is a pretty small camera already :))

wow. thanks for the information. I will go and check check first before buying.

Dear guys,

I am selling my ep5 currently. Have switch from apsc to m4/3 and still find that the gears are way too heavy. Thinking of the RX100 m3 but cannot commit due to the 1 inch sensor. I hate changing lenses so I was thinking of the em5 elite black but the total weight will be worst than my ep5 with prime and probably the same as my previous canon 550D plus 15-85mm. I only use my camera during holidays and seldom use it in singapore at all.

I like to take handheld night shots overseas like those street shots of buildings. night markets etc. Can somebody post some samples of unedited pics from the rx100 m3 of night time handheld street shots so that I can view the noise level. The max iso I use on my cameras is 1600.

does the rx100 m3 loses out alot to the current olympus m4/3 sensors on em1, ep5 etc? Thanks.

Here is a shot I took with the rx100 m3 in Peru. It's a street scene just after sunset. Hand held at 1/30s, ISO 2500. The first is unedited. To the right, I lifted the shadows on the JPEG. Shows that the file is quite flexible, even in jpeg and not raw.

15682052769_3553c03111_b.jpg
15866068321_df4578cd86_b.jpg

I have an OMD EM5 and GX7. The RX100 M3 is comparable in low light ability.