Sony RX100 Mark III

doodah

Dec 23, 2007
My next compact camera. :bsmilie:

20MP sensor (same as RX100M2 model)
ISO 125-25600
24-70mm f/1.8-2.8 lens
Built in View finder (SVGA OLED Tru-Finder 1440k dots)
Tiltable screen (180 degrees up)
Record in XAVC S format (Same format of the Sony A7s but with no 4K output option)
Almost same size and weight as the current RX100/M2 models

Last edited:
LOL I'm, on the other hand, looking forward to the markIIs on BnS!

Mk II was same price as Mk I. But from what I know Mk III will be more expensive. May be by as much as $200.

Hmm... looked like it was already out and yes... it was not cheap.

http://store.sony.ca/gsi/webstore/W..._CA/-/CAD/ViewProduct-Start?SKU=31-DSCRX100M3

This camera was shown in the Sony webstore (Canada) and was selling at $899.99 which convert to S$1034.70 (since it is a Canadian website, I would presume the currency to be Canadian dollar which is around S$1.15 to CA$1.00)

Last edited:
Looks like $1,200 retail in Singapore..

Looks like $1,200 retail in Singapore..

And that would bring the mkiii very close to the RX10 in price. And one thing to note. The Sony Webstore in Canada actually slashed the price down of the RX100mkII from 7xx to 6xx... and that would convert to around 8xx in Singapore. Wonder when will Sony Singapore do the same.

Last edited:
Actually, I was thinking about it... RX100iii is slightly cheaper than the RX100ii in term of the hardware it had. RX100ii was selling at 999 (SRP), not inclusive of the optional viewfinder. And the optional viewfinder costed S$629 (SRP), and both would cost S$1628. However... if the RX100iii cost around 1200 and it gave you a viewfinder... there will still be a saving of around S$428.

Soooo... Hmmm.... for those who needed the viewfinder, this is really a cam to go. For those who doesn't... RX100ii is still a good camera... Now I was hoping price would drop once the RX100iii came out.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-hot-first-rx100m3-images-leaked/

Looked really nice... but they decided to do away with the hotshoe.

get1_zpsd46ae7a8.png

pSNYNA-DSCRX100M3_alternate9_v786_zps19ed9950.png

get_zps24f41cba.png

oscar210_1_1433_9a4eff6a6393415f749c05e5f0d84c48_zps56796628.jpg

oscar210_1_1433_60f3eceb59f7f3221baf72409ccc93f1_zps709bc773.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe Sony will throw extra freebies for pre orders

Actually, I was thinking about it... RX100iii is slightly cheaper than the RX100ii in term of the hardware it had. RX100ii was selling at 999 (SRP), not inclusive of the optional viewfinder. And the optional viewfinder costed S$629 (SRP), and both would cost S$1628. However... if the RX100iii cost around 1200 and it gave you a viewfinder... there will still be a saving of around S$428.

Soooo... Hmmm.... for those who needed the viewfinder, this is really a cam to go. For those who doesn't... RX100ii is still a good camera... Now I was hoping price would drop once the RX100iii came out.

But if you want a wider and brighter lens go for M3

Last edited:
Now I am waiting for Singapore pricing...

The faster lens seemed nice, with a tilty swivey screen that is very important for the kind of photography I liked... although I cannot mount external flash, but I doubt I needed one as of now and I am sure that I can still command one if need be wirelessly.

If this camera sell at around the price of RX100ii at launch price (street pricing), I guess I am sold... if it is 1k+... I will get the RX100ii. Either way, I am getting a RX100 (whatever version). Been dreaming about this camera for ages... and holding up to see what Canon had offered in their G1XmkII (which is kind of disappointing actually... thus far).

Now I am waiting for Singapore pricing...

The faster lens seemed nice, with a tilty swivey screen that is very important for the kind of photography I liked... although I cannot mount external flash, but I doubt I needed one as of now and I am sure that I can still command one if need be wirelessly.

If this camera sell at around the price of RX100ii at launch price (street pricing), I guess I am sold... if it is 1k+... I will get the RX100ii. Either way, I am getting a RX100 (whatever version). Been dreaming about this camera for ages... and holding up to see what Canon had offered in their G1XmkII (which is kind of disappointing actually... thus far).
Should be more expensive.

why redundant?

the EVF is more than half the price of the mk2, and the only thing that would make economic sense to actually mount on is the HVL-F20M flash.

in fact, mounting on anything on the hotshoe just makes the mk2 unbalanced.

but if you look at it from a professional's point of view, they might use radio triggers. but for the common person i doubt they would actually make any use of it. i don't even put anything on the mk2. the hotshoe cover's practically in there 24/7

Yeah, I agree. It's not totally redundant but I guess for almost all of the hundred thousands of buyers it's probably a never used feature which simply reduces Sony's net margin without boosting sales enough to compensate for that.

Some started off loading their M1&M2 in bns

Well... just check the Sony website... they slashed the price of the M2 by S$100... so it was effectively 899 (SRP), I am hoping that street price will be much lower. Looked like it is a correct decision to hold a while.

Most of what mkIII had, I don't need. So mkII... here I come!