Sony launches DSLR-A850 full-frame digital SLR out 09 Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to correct this, and misconception by many, Sony is not new in the market:
1. Sony has been making dslr sensors since the beginning of the dslr era.
2. Sony took over Minolta SLR/DSLR team of engineers and technology. Sony basically re-branded and improves some of the existing lense and camera. That why you can still use old Minolta A-Mount lense.
3. Minolta existed almost as long as Nikon and Canon to make SLR.

Yups, you're right bro. That is why i choose sony dslr after studying and research about sony taking over minolta which is more years of experience than C&N. And also sony making sensors is part it too. Almost all my product currently from handphone to camera is sony brand. Even before that i had minolta digi ca too. :)

VisionTechnik

Need to correct this, and misconception by many, Sony is not new in the market:
1. Sony has been making dslr sensors since the beginning of the dslr era.
2. Sony took over Minolta SLR/DSLR team of engineers and technology. Sony basically re-branded and improves some of the existing lense and camera. That why you can still use old Minolta A-Mount lense.
3. Minolta existed almost as long as Nikon and Canon to make SLR.

Thanks alot for the usefull information, honestly i (and most of my friends too) just thought that sony just began "fully" in DSLR in 2006 when sony launched the first alpha dslr 100. anyway, hopefully in the future, sony dslr will be more and more popular, more satisfied and become better (even also can be the best too). cheer ;p

I think it is not a question of can or cannot. In reality, 18-200 works fine with A700 with its cropped sensor but A850 & 900 won't get to be optimised with their FF sensors on a lens made for cropped sensor. However, if you are concious of where you frame your photos, 18-200 still works on the FF bodies. Of course, Alpha's cropped sensor frame indicator is not as nice as that of Nikon (Sony only four corners indicated whereas Nikon has the whole rectangle highlighted red), and that makes framing a little troublesome. I don't know which body you intend to get next but if budget is a consideration, don't be too troubled about 18-200 for now. Otherwise, sell the 18-200 and try buying another all-in-one zoom like the Sigma or Tamron 28-300. They are not the best lens and slow in AF but will be kind on your wallet for now as they cost around S$500+.

can this 28-300 sigma / tamron lens fit on my current a100?

Can... Your existing lens can be mounted on any Alpha camera body. Any lenses on other Alpha mount camera can definitely be mounted on your camera body.

However, once you understand the crop factor, what can be done, does not imply, what should be done...

Interestingly, all major DSLR manufacturers are launching their new product line in Sep 09.

Makers / Model Status
Sony D850 (Full Frame) Available in Oct - Sep 09, market price is around SGD3500-3000.
Canon EOS7D (Cropped) Rumour that launch is in 1st week sep. Street price SGD3500 or less.
Nikon D300s (Cropped) Available in Late sep 09, market price is around SGD2800-2600.

hmm, if you are thinking of selling your 18-200 and get the 28-300 or others FF compatible lens as a stepping stone for possible future FF body, then you will have to live with the longer focal length with the current A100 for now unless go FF in one-go. it is a tough decision isn't it ? FF is tempting, but budget tight to go FF body and lens in one-go. go FF body first but current lens not up to mark. get FF lens first but current body not up to mark :( i faced the same situation before :)

hmm, if you are thinking of selling your 18-200 and get the 28-300 or others FF compatible lens as a stepping stone for possible future FF body, then you will have to live with the longer focal length with the current A100 for now unless go FF in one-go. it is a tough decision isn't it ? FF is tempting, but budget tight to go FF body and lens in one-go. go FF body first but current lens not up to mark. get FF lens first but current body not up to mark :( i faced the same situation before :)

Agree.

Interestingly, all major DSLR manufacturers are launching their new product line in Sep 09.

Makers / Model Status
Sony D850 (Full Frame) Available in Oct - Sep 09, market price is around SGD3500-3000.
Canon EOS7D (Cropped) Rumour that launch is in 1st week sep. Street price SGD3500 or less.
Nikon D300s (Cropped) Available in Late sep 09, market price is around SGD2800-2600.

Erm. Sony uses the "A" moniker, not D. And the A850 will be less than 3k, not 3-3.5k.

MS color say 6sept SGD 2999 b4 discount A850!!

Well in response to a tight budget where you spend all your money on the FF body and then no money to buy a decent lens...

Sell your APS-C kit... use the money to subsidise the FF body... then buy 2nd hand full frame lenses... get the cheaper but still very decent lenses... one that I recommend is the Tamron 24-135mm SP... there are 2nd hand ones floating around... definitely good enough for a 25MP sensor... when you have more money, can always upgrade to the 24-70 G or the Sigma 24-70 or Tamron 24-70... otherwise, keep it and use it lor... buying 2nd hand helps to keep the cost down and affordable...

MS color say 6sept SGD 2999 b4 discount A850!!

Wohoo...im still hoping for <$2.5K...:bsmilie:
Or is it with kit lens it is $2999?
With the kit lens, that is the 28-75mm right or am i wrong?
cause, if 28-75mm cost around 1k plus, then after minus-ing the kit lens cost, which will be around $1.8k plus??? hahax...(in my dream i guess) ;p

There is no kit lens bundled.

I think cropping manually will still yield around 10-12 megapixels if you're using cropped lens on the 24mp ff. It will lose a bit of details though compared to using true cropped dslr

A900 has crop sensor mode (it would crop the picture into APS-C size). This would make it works with existing DT or APS-C lenses. However, from what read, it IQ seems to drop if compare with a FF lens, and it would not use the full 24 MPS of the camera.

A900 has crop sensor mode (it would crop the picture into APS-C size). This would make it works with existing DT or APS-C lenses. However, from what read, it IQ seems to drop if compare with a FF lens, and it would not use the full 24 MPS of the camera.

Furthermore, quite tedious in framing. The four corners of the APS-C frame don't stand out if the subject in the frame is dark, unlike the illuminated red rectangle of Nikon's. Still can crop if too much gets in, but too bad if that bit got out of the frame.

"A900 has crop sensor mode"

Does the camera crop the picture automatically for an APS-C lens? Can it be switched off?

I anticipate buying an A850 and using a modified APS-C lens on it but I want to use the whole sensor, not just the cropped area.

"A900 has crop sensor mode"

Does the camera crop the picture automatically for an APS-C lens? Can it be switched off?

I anticipate buying an A850 and using a modified APS-C lens on it but I want to use the whole sensor, not just the cropped area.

I read that A900 will only auto-crop for Sony DT lenses. For other brands, manual setting is required.

Since it is manual for other lenses, leaving it as it is will be like 'switching off' I guess.

Not sure if it can be switched off for Sony lenses though.

You are thinking of modifying a APS-C UWA or Fisheye ?

Status
Not open for further replies.