Status
Not open for further replies.

baiyun

Jan 30, 2002
Bukit Batok
web.singnet.com.sg
which cam shld i get?
I already have eos300 and 75-300mm,50mm lens
I also have enough cf cards which can be used for f828 so now am torn between the 2 cams....

eos300d costs ard 1664 without lens at parisilk
F828 maybe around 1700+

so not sure which to get...
any advice?

well if you get the 300D i really suggest that you get with the lens kit. as it makes a really cheap and good wide angle..will sorta at (28+mm)

from sample pics i see at steve digicam reviews, seems that eos300d at higher iso like 800 is cleaner then the sony f828......
so for me who likes to take concert pics shld get eos300d?

you mean go to concerts / autograph session..

F828 is most suitable. as in the turnable lcd is very useful in this case... can you see the lcd to get the better view and take better pic cause mosdt of the time you will be putting your cam above your head to shoot...

baiyun said:
from sample pics i see at steve digicam reviews, seems that eos300d at higher iso like 800 is cleaner then the sony f828......
so for me who likes to take concert pics shld get eos300d?

Ask yourself :

Do you need a longer focal length then 200mm ?
Do you need to shoot at ISO 400/800/1600 using your current lens, or any lens you are likely to buy ?
Is it important to have low noise above ISO 100 ?
Can you live with changing lenses during your shoots ?
Can you tolerate always using the viewfinder to frame your shots, just like a traditional 35mm camera ?
Can you live without a movie mode ?

If you answer yes to all of them, the 300D is a good bet.

IMHO, I think you should go for EOS300D since you already got Canon system on hand. Your current lens should be able to use on the new DC.

Happy shooting ...... :)

You might as well go for the 300D. In concerts which allow cameras, you might not always be able to get close enough to good shots even with 200mm.

Go for the 300D, you'll need the higher (and cleaner) ISOs for concert photography.

after much pondering, i got the f828 cos of the f2-2.8 aperture and turntable lcd....altho zoom a bit short...but can make do...

cos my 75-300 zoom aperture not wide enough for low light concert....and no money to buy L lens..

baiyun said:
after much pondering, i got the f828 cos of the f2-2.8 aperture and turntable lcd....altho zoom a bit short...but can make do...

cos my 75-300 zoom aperture not wide enough for low light concert....and no money to buy L lens..

To get 200mm on the 300D, you just need to zoom out to 200/1.6 = 125mm on your 75-300. At 125, it's aperture is probably around 4.0, which is only 1 stop slower than the F828's 200@2.8. To compensate for this, you can just up the 300D's ISO to 200, which will then bring it on par with the 828. If you bump up the ISO to 400 or 800 (which has acceptably low noise ), you are in fact way ahead of the 828, and you can then use your lens at 300mm@5.6 ( which is effectively 480mm ).

But the 300D has no answer to the twisting LCD and movie modes though.

baiyun said:

Baiyun,

I shot Alan & Hacken's concert using a 75-300USM III with 300D on asa1600.

You can get this results:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288329947&code=7716148&mode=invite

THIS proves one do not really need 2.8L lenses. At least not in this instance.

have fun and shoot more. you will get better each time, much cheaper than geting a 2.8L lens. :bsmilie:

Shooting at concerts means shooting at ISO 400 and above. I believe Canon cams can handle noise better !!!
Unless you have backstage passes, you would need some very solid lens which may also means buying lens that are much more expensive than your plastic EOS300D..sigh. :(

another reason why i got the sony...
cos i discover if u go into concert with slrs and digi slr, the moment u try to take pics, u will be stopped but for those pp that i saw using normal looking digicams and p&s, they were not stopped....unless u go use flash lar..

very strange, i believe their reason for not stopping those with p&s is that nothing good will turn out of it, and for normal digicams, zoom not enough so dun need to worry?
for those with big lenses or digi slr, sure to be stopped due to the fact good closeup photos can be taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.