Sony announces plans to take on Olympus and Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras

since the lens is so big,imo,it defeats the purpose,I'd rather spend money on the micro four thirds,with lens catered to the body and have a real compact system,rather than having a body with such a big lens,but of course,I like the idea that I can use my existing lenses on it,but if I'm particular about weight (which I'm not) I seriously would not consider this,but again,this is the prototype,so more or less still too early to say

If you consider I do enjoy using a 14-54MkII on the PEN, it is quite a big set up too... The one thing that excites me about Sony coming into mirrorless design is that there might be a chance they will open up their range of lenses... and some of them are really good. CZ ones, I mean.

Pray tell Olympus doesn't. I'm betting my next body is a Olympus though, seeing how Panasonic cuts its losses when the going gets tough.

Olympus has been the first Japanese camera maker for the 35mm film format, and they will always be around... in terms of revenue annually, Nikon is the smallest (not considering Pentax, and a few small players). Olympus is not a small company, with three times the revenue of Nikon. Canon, Sony, Samsung and Panasonic are of the heavy weights, they are a different entity altogether.

more competition better mar.

Definitely! Now...where is Fuji? They are being too quiet... they have hinted about the m4/3 mount... so are they offering the killer sensor they designed into the platform? That would be wickedly good!

well i hope their camera will be better than the prototype... its fugly. the zoom lens is huge... and where is the hotshoe?

PMA_concept-DSLR-001.jpg

Looks like a variant of the Olympus mock up, don't you think? This one has a grip... but the blocky design.... just add orange... :sweatsm:

Hate the design! damn ugly :thumbsd:

make sense about the lens...hmm.... Yea,it does have a hint of the Olympus mock up,I just realize there is a pancake on the silver one and a lens that isn't much bigger on the red one,lol

it wont be able to take the cine lenses with the 1" image circle like the m4/3 ;p
and having a micro alpha mount would mean a small array of auto-focus lenses probably only made by sony in the years to come.. :dunno:
if you were to use the other dslr lenses, then i guess it already defeats the purpose of the compact design.

Last edited:
Olympus has been the first Japanese camera maker for the 35mm film format, and they will always be around... in terms of revenue annually, Nikon is the smallest (not considering Pentax, and a few small players). Olympus is not a small company, with three times the revenue of Nikon. Canon, Sony, Samsung and Panasonic are of the heavy weights, they are a different entity altogether.

Considering what Olympus charge for medical equipment, they should have a lot of money. However, what they have in their photography division is another matter. It almost seems sometimes that photography is a hobby for the parent company, just something to keep the name in the public eye.

Considering what Olympus charge for medical equipment, they should have a lot of money. However, what they have in their photography division is another matter. It almost seems sometimes that photography is a hobby for the parent company, just something to keep the name in the public eye.

It is the same for Sony, Samsung and Panasonic. They are not investing billions of yen into their photography division like what they would do for their flat screen TVs or household appliances... At least Olympus is getting the technology from their medical and critical optics parents. And they don't make TVs.... :sticktong

But whatever it is, I think it is always good for different companies to come in and invest into camera systems because the technology for photography can benefit from more breakthroughs. And that costs money.

Now...where is Fuji? They are being too quiet... they have hinted about the m4/3 mount... so are they offering the killer sensor they designed into the platform? That would be wickedly good!

This PMA is a little disappointing isn't it? I suspect Fuji is not going to jump into the 4/3 or m4/3 bandwagon.

Sony mockups i hope its nothing representing the real thing. If there isn't any IB-IS, its going to be a big let down...

competition is good news. It means Olympus is kept on it's toes. Looking for an improvement in the auto focus speed.

This PMA is a little disappointing isn't it? I suspect Fuji is not going to jump into the 4/3 or m4/3 bandwagon.

Sony mockups i hope its nothing representing the real thing. If there isn't any IB-IS, its going to be a big let down...

I too am a little surprised at how little happenings were there at PMA... If Photokina is going to do better this year than PMA, then it might be a sign that manufacturers are all waking up to a new dawn... the internet shall be replacing the exhibitions which costs so much to put up.

I do hope Sony come up with something funky in this line of cameras. Should have more competition, only then imagination will stretched and better designs will come from other camps.

I am still hoping for the Fuji m4/3 camera... if at all...

In terms of company revenue, Oly is only slightly higher than Nikon.

In terms of revenue in 2008 for imaging products (cameras and videocams)....
Canon is almost double of Nikon.
Nikon is around 2.5 times more than Oly.

My conservative estimate of Sony will be at Nikon level.

Given Sony and Samsung always target the masses, i believe we should see more variants.
But Sony likes to do funny things, hence, it likely to be a not benefit M43.
Samsung is a better bet since they jump onboard already and i hope they do it like they do to their TVs and Mobile phones and not end up like their notebooks..

I also hope Nikon will move faster this time round and catch this wave.

I too am a little surprised at how little happenings were there at PMA... If Photokina is going to do better this year than PMA, then it might be a sign that manufacturers are all waking up to a new dawn... the internet shall be replacing the exhibitions which costs so much to put up.

I do hope Sony come up with something funky in this line of cameras. Should have more competition, only then imagination will stretched and better designs will come from other camps.

I am still hoping for the Fuji m4/3 camera... if at all...

Exhibitions will still has a place i believe, the interactions, the whole live experience can't be duplicated on the net.

Sony might come out with something out of expectations. They r known for that & i hope its not the kind that is "lamest of the lame", something like what they did with the revamp of A230, A380, A550, etc. juz so the mirrorless sys doesn't cannabalise their DSLR range.

Fuji didn't mention any plans for their commitment to DSLR, so this one is quite a mystery. Maybe they turn out to be the black horse among them all? :bigeyes: With a P&S size of Sony TX but 1.5x sensor using the rumoured Hexachrome SuperCCD? Comes with all the bells & whistles like 5x zoom starting at 25mm, full HD video recording, stereo audio, filters, built in flash, IB-IS, RAW format, wide DR, etc... :lovegrin::devil: Better still, a FF in a P&S body with all the bells & whistles!! DANG!!

Exhibitions will still has a place i believe, the interactions, the whole live experience can't be duplicated on the net.

Sony might come out with something out of expectations. They r known for that & i hope its not the kind that is "lamest of the lame", something like what they did with the revamp of A230, A380, A550, etc. juz so the mirrorless sys doesn't cannabalise their DSLR range.

Fuji didn't mention any plans for their commitment to DSLR, so this one is quite a mystery. Maybe they turn out to be the black horse among them all? :bigeyes: With a P&S size of Sony TX but 1.5x sensor using the rumoured Hexachrome SuperCCD? Comes with all the bells & whistles like 5x zoom starting at 25mm, full HD video recording, stereo audio, filters, built in flash, IB-IS, RAW format, wide DR, etc... :lovegrin::devil: Better still, a FF in a P&S body with all the bells & whistles!! DANG!!

I guess we can only wait to see what Fuji have in store since they are still keeping mum on what they are intending to do this year... they are very quiet, and usually this means something in brewing in their camp. Can go anywhere from here... we can only wait. Looking forward to something new from them this year.

Looks like a variant of the Olympus mock up, don't you think? This one has a grip... but the blocky design.... just add orange... :sweatsm:

oh was that a grip? i thought it was the new clip-on battery... :dunno:

just kidding :bsmilie:

recently found this post. Not sure what TS is angry about.

Sony taking over Oly and Pan?? But i don't think sony would like to stick to mirrorless as it sure is the trend. Maybe mirrorless useful for those who just want a light weight interchangeable lens. Usually i see sony is like testing markets. They trying to fight for the market. Even the full frame dslr you can now get about 3.5k. If you research more on what sony is currently doing, they have patent a dslr which is half mirror. It to enable auto focus which video recording using dslr.

And i can't imagine how sony mirror less user mounting a CZ lens or that 70-200 when the adapter to use from E mount to A mount. :bsmilie:

announces "plans" hehe, too much talk... why bother announcing something when its almost obvious that everyone's working on something like m43... in the meantime ill enjoy my new gf1 hehe

- former sony fanboy

i think there is something wrong with ur thinking.
every camera manufacturer out there will announce whatever they are making. and who is EVERYBODY?

I'm still waiting on someone to make use of a piece of glass that can go from transparent to reflective (or any other opaque surface) so as to eliminate a slapping mirror. It's still an expensive idea but it would also allow typical dSLRs to continue while providing almost seamless Live View operations and an optical viewfinder.

i think there is something wrong with ur thinking.
every camera manufacturer out there will announce whatever they are making. and who is EVERYBODY?

hmmm, i don't quite understand what you're trying to say?

anyway, i'm more annoyed with sony announcing "plans" as opposed to actual work in progress (i.e. actual prototypes or products they're working on)... sony is notoriously late on such things (my sony frens been waiting ages for video on the alpha, decent noise control on the full-frames, among other things), so i won't hold my breath for anything substantial from them... they're just trying to stay relevant in light of the popularity of m43

i prefer apple's way of doing it... when they announce something, bam, it's a working almost production model and availability is just a few months away

Last edited:
hmmm, i don't quite understand what you're trying to say?

anyway, i'm more annoyed with sony announcing "plans" as opposed to actual work in progress (i.e. actual prototypes or products they're working on)... sony is notoriously late on such things (my sony frens been waiting ages for video on the alpha, decent noise control on the full-frames, among other things), so i won't hold my breath for anything substantial from them... they're just trying to stay relevant in light of the popularity of m43

i prefer apple's way of doing it... when they announce something, bam, it's a working almost production model and availability is just a few months away

What is the big deal? Just dun buy their stuff. Dun you have consumer's right? Or you are tied down by Sony?

What is the big deal? Just dun buy their stuff. Dun you have consumer's right? Or you are tied down by Sony?

yeah, what's the big deal indeed? can't everyone post/rant on the subject? do you have to police everything? lol

what's the big deal eh? why you all riled up? you work for sony?

Last edited: