Sony announces plans to take on Olympus and Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras

xlakedaemon

Jul 14, 2004
North East
Looks like we have some competition coming up...:think:

If you can't beat them... join (compete against them) them!

The PMA 2010 photo trade show is officially underway and without the Canon machine present, Sony is generating the biggest buzz so far. Like Fujifilm, Olympus, Nikon, and even Canon among others, the company already announced its new products ahead of the show. But today, Sony held a press conference to tease us with some not-yet-existent “concept” products. Most significant is a compact interchangeable lens camera system that will compete with the existing Micro Four Thirds cameras from Olympus and Panasonic as well as the long-awaited and yet-to-ship Samsung NX10.

Though Sony is calling the new camera an Alpha dSLR, it won’t be a “Single Lens Reflex” camera at all. Like the Olympus, Panasonic, and Samsung models, it will be a mirror-less (and therefore more compact) camera with a dSLR-sized sensor. Like the NX10, the Sony model will use an APS-C size sensor that’s larger than the sensors in the Micro Four Thirds cameras. Besides that, and the fact that the new camera will be capable of shooting AVCHD video, Sony didn’t provide many other details. And of course, the body design may certainly change significantly from the concept models (pictured above) being shown off at the show (remember the original Olympus Micro Four Thirds concept?).

http://blogs.zdnet.com/digitalcameras/?p=2700

well i hope their camera will be better than the prototype... its fugly. the zoom lens is huge... and where is the hotshoe?

PMA_concept-DSLR-001.jpg

Last edited:
This is all business, what is the big deal?

I just hope that competition is healthy and bring us better performance equipment without killing any of the players.

It will be interesting. I never would have thought that Sony would have an SLR business so healthy. Minolta's mediocre + Sony's adequate does not equal enthusiasm but they've done well anyway.

One of Samsung's bosses said that they want to rule this part of the market and they're another company I wouldn't expect to do well but they and Sony will throw money at it as no other companies can.

Scary... but good for us consumers (hopefully). Competition is always good, but not to the point that the competitor gets killed. Panasonic might just abandon ship again and then where will we be left with?

Still, as the only company that can get their CD focusing right (in my opinion), that isn't too bad. Seeing what Sony has done over the last few years with their aggresive entry into DSLR market... yep, it's going to be scary. :thumbsup:

since the lens is so big,imo,it defeats the purpose,I'd rather spend money on the micro four thirds,with lens catered to the body and have a real compact system,rather than having a body with such a big lens,but of course,I like the idea that I can use my existing lenses on it,but if I'm particular about weight (which I'm not) I seriously would not consider this,but again,this is the prototype,so more or less still too early to say

Scary... but good for us consumers (hopefully). Competition is always good, but not to the point that the competitor gets killed. Panasonic might just abandon ship again and then where will we be left with?

Still, as the only company that can get their CD focusing right (in my opinion), that isn't too bad. Seeing what Sony has done over the last few years with their aggresive entry into DSLR market... yep, it's going to be scary. :thumbsup:

Pray tell Olympus doesn't. I'm betting my next body is a Olympus though, seeing how Panasonic cuts its losses when the going gets tough.

I dun think it's a bad news to us as a consumer, the more the merrier. :):)

The problem the Dslr manufacturer is their legacy lenses.

if they adopt the mirrorless concept, they can still use the legacy lens but with adapters....so lenses are big.
however i think they need make a niche lens range for the mirrorless system.

Sony been very aggressive with their marketing (A230)

is great to introduce DSLR to mass market.

cheers to lower price products

since the lens is so big,imo,it defeats the purpose,I'd rather spend money on the micro four thirds,with lens catered to the body and have a real compact system,rather than having a body with such a big lens,but of course,I like the idea that I can use my existing lenses on it,but if I'm particular about weight (which I'm not) I seriously would not consider this,but again,this is the prototype,so more or less still too early to say

Well, they do have to follow the size of the sensor.

Now, if they can take a 135 format frame sensor and make a light, small body around it, that will be a feat. After all, even in the 1980s, we had 35mm point-and-shoot cameras that took good shots. They just didn't have fast features or interchangeable lenses. We need to revive that kind of thing.

Now, if they can take a 135 format frame sensor and make a light, small body around it, that will be a feat. After all, even in the 1980s, we had 35mm point-and-shoot cameras that took good shots. They just didn't have fast features or interchangeable lenses. We need to revive that kind of thing.

Lens sizes will depend mainly on the sensor size as well as sensor distance from lens. That why 35mm rangefinder lenses are more compact than a 35mm SLR lens.

I know that,but kinda defeats the purpose of going small,that's all I'm saying XD

its only a mock up from sony, the actual product could have lenses as small as the pancake from Samsung. if we look at sony's updated DT kit lenses, the performance improved significantly to challenge the ZD14-42 in sharpness and size.

sony, like panasonic has the resources to bulldoze their way into any consumer electronics market. this is a good thing for us, mostly. it keeps the more focused players like Oly, Pentax, Ricoh and Nikon on the ball and give us better products and new innovations.

its only a mock up from sony, the actual product could have lenses as small as the pancake from Samsung. if we look at sony's updated DT kit lenses, the performance improved significantly to challenge the ZD14-42 in sharpness and size.

sony, like panasonic has the resources to bulldoze their way into any consumer electronics market. this is a good thing for us, mostly. it keeps the more focused players like Oly, Pentax, Ricoh and Nikon on the ball and give us better products and new innovations.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh ya, i rem those days, the mju P&S, really good quality :thumbsup: I was amazed by it & its F2.8 IIRC. I'm also looking forward to the FF in the P&S form factor. Definitely doable, its juz a matter of who is desperate enuf to do it 1st to gain market share.

powergoo said:
Lens sizes will depend mainly on the sensor size as well as sensor distance from lens. That why 35mm rangefinder lenses are more compact than a 35mm SLR lens.

Actually i think it leans more to lens design than sensor size. U can design a lens with a wider dispersion at the end (larger image circle) for larger sensor or u can design a lens with narrower dispersion. Think older days P&S film camera, they dun have very huge bulky lens even for zooms.

announces "plans" hehe, too much talk... why bother announcing something when its almost obvious that everyone's working on something like m43... in the meantime ill enjoy my new gf1 hehe

- former sony fanboy

This is all business, what is the big deal?

I just hope that competition is healthy and bring us better performance equipment without killing any of the players.

Well said. I think the competition will bring more ideas which in turn will spur the R&D guys in Olympus to come up with more funky stuff that will benefit the users. Actually, the party is about to begin, but can only truly start when Canon and Nikon join in the fun... that will be it... the actual start of the future were mirrorless cameras will dominate. OEM guys will then be able to supply large numbers of electronic shutters, high def EVF, high def OLED screens at lower prices, which will in turn benefit users.

It will be interesting. I never would have thought that Sony would have an SLR business so healthy. Minolta's mediocre + Sony's adequate does not equal enthusiasm but they've done well anyway.

One of Samsung's bosses said that they want to rule this part of the market and they're another company I wouldn't expect to do well but they and Sony will throw money at it as no other companies can.

Glad Sony is in, at least they can drown the competition with their R&D money. Except against Panasonic, of course... big waves cannot fight tsunami class...

I think the market is lucrative enough for Panasonic to stay on (and please do...) since Olympus and Panasonic are riding high and smacking the big boys by capturing the market that they have all neglected. Though not a big one, but enough to get the attention... Remember, Nikon and Canon have yet to react... not that they cannot, but somehow they have not reacted. Soon, I hope... more competition equals more ideas, which equals better product. We win.