Sony announces plans to take on Olympus and Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras

I'm still waiting on someone to make use of a piece of glass that can go from transparent to reflective (or any other opaque surface) so as to eliminate a slapping mirror. It's still an expensive idea but it would also allow typical dSLRs to continue while providing almost seamless Live View operations and an optical viewfinder.

Can be done. It's called LCD technology. But unfortunately, it is probably not efficient, and probably quite expensive.

I'm still waiting on someone to make use of a piece of glass that can go from transparent to reflective (or any other opaque surface) so as to eliminate a slapping mirror. It's still an expensive idea but it would also allow typical dSLRs to continue while providing almost seamless Live View operations and an optical viewfinder.

isn't the technology existing? like we have windows that can go from clear to tinted, all electrically/electronically controlled? im not sure about the reflective part though

I remember in the 80s, Nikon came up with a camera body that used a "see through" glass/mirror on their camera so that the mirror did not have to move, minimising/eliminating the camera slap vibration. That eventually did not sell well/ did not work well because the viewfinder was too dark. Cannot remember that model of camera though... but it went into production for a while. Quite interesting actually...

yeah, what's the big deal? can't everyone post/rant on the subject? do you have to police everything? lol

what's the big deal eh? why you all riled up? you work for sony?

referring to IT guy?
yea perhaps you can rant but still people can choose what they want to buy. but somehow some of the issues u mentioned with sony doesnt seem to be much of a problem. Noise isnt an issue if u can live with olympus, video on board camera? well if u need one than perhaps u can turn to the other brands out there who are offering it first but the upcoming A cameras will have video. having said all that to each its own. If it works for u, good, otherwise may have to look for alternatives to a "want".

yeah im just ranting, not trying to influence what other people buy (did i ever imply or insinuate that in my postings??)... the sony issues may not be a problem for you, but maybe a problem for some (just like you said, "to each his own"). sure was a prob for me that's why i jumped ship, same with my frens who still keep whining but can't jump ship as easily because of $$$$ in glass.

i can live with noise on m43 because of the other conveniences that the platform offers.

anyway i think you and itguy misunderstanding my posts...

I remember in the 80s, Nikon came up with a camera body that used a "see through" glass/mirror on their camera so that the mirror did not have to move, minimising/eliminating the camera slap vibration. That eventually did not sell well/ did not work well because the viewfinder was too dark. Cannot remember that model of camera though... but it went into production for a while. Quite interesting actually...

It was Canon. Way back in the 60s or early 70s SLR model called the Pellix...coz of the pellicle mirror. Later EOS RT adopted that with more efficient mirror that has less light fall off.

Why didnt anyone come up with "mirror" shutter. Hope it would not be a shattering experiences! :bsmilie:

A very personal preference wud be.... I hope to see Sony in Contax G2 film compact shoes. A small cam with 3 primes to begin with, later then add in the zooms.

If anyone still remembers, it only has/had 28mm, 45mm & 90mm. :lovegrin:

i know its a suicidal move by aiming at enthusiasts 1st but again, its a very personal taste. HAHAHA!! Hope to see the Nex launching with 17mm F1.8, 30mm F1.8 & 60mm F2. Zoom kit can be 18 - 65mm F3.5 ~ 4.5 range. :cool::cool::cool:

PS. Or maybe Oly can do that 1st? Release a 11mm F1.8, 22mm F1.8 & 45mm F1.8 which incidentally also a macro, Leica too ex for most casual users :devil:

A lot of technology has changed since that time but unfortunately, it's still expensive. A two-way mirror isn't the answer. I've seen an experiment or two at temporarily changing a material from reflective to transparent. They put it over glass and it's as though nothing is there until the electricity is applied.

Reminds me of Batman Begins, his cape is cloth like,but becomes rigid when a current passes through it possible but kinda suck a lot of power from the battery though

Reminds me of Batman Begins, his cape is cloth like,but becomes rigid when a current passes through it possible but kinda suck a lot of power from the battery though

we're starting to see phones with built-in solar panels (e.g. samsung, puma), mebbe cams will have them soon... hopefully they don't get too hot though