sony a700 or nikon d90?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The battery life is pretty good! There are third-party ones available, but the original is well worth it for the exact % readout that infolithium provides.

For the VG, get the original Sony. It's one of the best VGs out there, fully reproducing the controls on the VG.

what model in particular? is there VG at 200price range?

what model in particular? is there VG at 200price range?

There's only one model of VG for the A700. It costs about 350 from the friendly shops.

Wrong info from u. D90 is mid-range body. Refer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_D90

D90 is definitely the upper tier of the entry level. Compare it to the build quality of true mid-ranges such as the D300 and the Eos 50D and you'll be able to tell the difference.

Anyway, Alpha 700 is quite similar to d300(sensor wise)

deciding moment this evening..i hope one of these cams will work for me..

a metaphore:

A700 is like class muscle car, comes with good raw power and strength
D90 is like modern european cars, comes with high tech gears

so you like muscle more or more features
your choice
btw, I would choose A700 since I am using A200 now

a metaphore:

A700 is like class muscle car, comes with good raw power and strength
D90 is like modern european cars, comes with high tech gears

so you like muscle more or more features
your choice
btw, I would choose A700 since I am using A200 now

Yah. I agree that nikon D90 has more features to offer than a700..some of them nice to have..

but I will prefer a cam that can give me more sharp and good IQ images..

Yah. I agree that nikon D90 has more features to offer than a700..some of them nice to have..

That would be A700 then. :)

Frankly speaking, the only main differences are the video function of D90 and LV AF which in a way are not fully functional.

Other than that, I think they are quite on par in terms of features.

One thing to note though, the software interface of Nikon is quite difficult to use. Even I had chance to use my friend's D40 for 2 weeks before I bought my first DSLR, I am still at loss whenever I want to change some settings.

Sony's GUI is easier and user-friendly. I immediately know how to change all the settings on my cam the 2nd day of purchase without even looking at the manual.

But then that's personal preference. Some may like to do things the harder way.

Last edited:
I have decided..

i'm quite convinced to get the a700..

but one more thing.anyone can compare a700 w/ 40d?

Canon ESO 40D

Average auto white balance

Continuous shooting rate slower than specified 6fps at 1/500sec

No contrast detect AF in Live View

Flash must be up for AF assist lamp

No mass storage USB support

Canon ESO 40D

Average auto white balance

Continuous shooting rate slower than specified 6fps at 1/500sec

No contrast detect AF in Live View

Flash must be up for AF assist lamp

No mass storage USB support

thanks! i' going for a700! can't wait! it's coming this wednesday!

what CF card do you recommend for a700? and after i buy the tamron 17-50, what's next to invest? i'm thinking between UWA lens or flash. but I am leaning more on the flash first coz I feel I need time to master and get familiar w/ the kind of images tamron can give me. But I also need wide angle coz I just realized that i am taking more indoor group photos than outdoors.

Is tamron wide enough for indoor group photos?

Congrat on the decision! A 8gig Scandisk CF Extreme III is a good choice, Extreme IV is better if you can spare some more cash. As for getting an UWA or a flash, I'd say the flash, but that pretty much depends on your shooting style. Try to get the most out of your 17-50/2.8 first before buying more gear. And yes, the Tamron is wide enough for most indoor group shoot.

Congrat on the decision! A 8gig Scandisk CF Extreme III is a good choice, Extreme IV is better if you can spare some more cash. As for getting an UWA or a flash, I'd say the flash, but that pretty much depends on your shooting style. Try to get the most out of your 17-50/2.8 first before buying more gear. And yes, the Tamron is wide enough for most indoor group shoot.

how much is 8gig Scandisk CF extreme III selling now?

Congratz on your decision. Tell us your review after using it.
And most important, share more results from that toy.
We are here to learn anywhere. hehe

Congratz on your decision. Tell us your review after using it.
And most important, share more results from that toy.
We are here to learn anywhere. hehe

Thanks! I will.

At the moment, internal flash will be good enough. Till the day, you find the flash too harsh, too far to reach.

thanks! i' going for a700! can't wait! it's coming this wednesday!

what CF card do you recommend for a700? and after i buy the tamron 17-50, what's next to invest? i'm thinking between UWA lens or flash. but I am leaning more on the flash first coz I feel I need time to master and get familiar w/ the kind of images tamron can give me. But I also need wide angle coz I just realized that i am taking more indoor group photos than outdoors.

Is tamron wide enough for indoor group photos?

Congrats bro. Since you are thinking of using for an indoor group shot, an external flash would come in handy, but do note that you owuld need to get a dry cabinet to store your gears first.

Whether the lens is wide enough for you would depend on how much working space you have, how many people are in the group and how you arrange them.

Status
Not open for further replies.