some questions on slides, mounting and projector.....sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
swimcraze said:
buy from where?
which is better? Kaiser or Peak???

currently i am using my 50mm lens to look at my slides ;)

Schneider is good. If too large the enlargement power = distortion.
There is reason why photo editors use 4x, but then for personal use, it's your call. Loupe is good bcos u can inspect slides under daylight balance lightbox which will give you accurate color rendition and can even inspect the grain of the film emusion.

Peak cant be that cheap... I bot my Rodenstock 4x something like $240 but shd be cheaper already. These are photo-len quality glasses.

CP, John3:16 shd have.

But then, it depends what is your objective. Close study of slide/detail then get a loupe and lightbox (daylight balance hor my dear). If for display, group viewer then get the projector. Ofcos u can buy both :bsmilie:

If you use yr 50mm len, it is basically a photo-len quality manifying glass. A loupe allow u to lay flat ontop of the slide with light from lightbox, no other light from the side except the lightbox below. This will give you accurate studying of slides.

Hi,

If you find that you're projecting them very often, just organise your slides into the trays and store them in the dry cabinets that way, reduces handling. It's preferable to get a tray that comes with a cover over the slides to reduce dust and also to prevent the slides from dropping out.

A good set of stuff to get for slides would be:

1. Dry cabinet - you will probably need a few just dedicated to storing slides once your portfolio increases.

2. Light box - I find an inexpensive 8x10 light box a good way of looking at a roll of slides, for picking out the ones you want to mount.

3. Loupe - an 8x or 10x loupe to check for sharpness of the frame that you want to mount.

4. Scissors - get a good pair that cuts cleanly and use that pair for slides only, you don't want to use those from the kitchen after someone has used it to cut a packet of soya bean drink :confused:

5. Gloves - get a good pair of cloth-based ones that don't leave scratch marks.

Hi KH Drew,
Long time no see. Lets go out to shoot one of this day, OK? Take care. ;)

fyi=for your information? =)

actually....just buy a decent, cheap peak loupe to start off with loh. since u r at ground zero, really no need to lose hair fretting too much over too many nitty gritty details..naturally u will learn more and adjust to your own taste as u progress ^_^

I'm a newbie to slides too. Can anyone recommend a good place to pick up Kodachrome slide film and also, a good lab which can develop properly. I keep hearing RGB but are there any other labs you slide shooters use?

Thanks.

I think if you really want to get a loupe and all, its better to buy the cabin lightbox+rodenstock loupe from CP rather than a peak loupe. cuz the peak loupe would have low resale value plus eventually you'll want to upgrade anyway. if you are not sure, than just use a table lamp with a daylight bulb plus a 50mm prime lens first.

correct me if I"m wrong but dev of slides isn't that impt, so it doesn't really matter where you go to dev them, unless the lab screws it up badly or scratches it (I kena b4), else you'll pretty much get back the same results regardless of where you go. but printing is another story altogether, I don't know where to print either.

Terence said:
I'm a newbie to slides too. Can anyone recommend a good place to pick up Kodachrome slide film and also,
Thanks.
cathay photo got almost everything

i would recommend a 4x loupe becoz u can view the whole 35mm positive nicely under the loupe.i'm using a schneider 4x loupe,cost me ard $200.
try to get a good loupe once and for all,lousy quality ones are not so bright and will cause headaches after prolonged viewing..

Status
Not open for further replies.