Some food to share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splutter

Dec 28, 2003
Gim Boon Tai
www.splutterphotography.com
Hi folks,

Did a simple collaboration with fellow CSer Dream Merchat. Some results to share.
C&C welcome :)

754898146_77a454b467_o.jpg

754898576_51ef076bfb_o.jpg

First and most important thing about food photography is you cannot smell, touch and taste food photos.

So how do you go about making the food look great and appealing to audiences?

As for your photos, both of them lack the ability to entice food lovers. Photos are relatively quite dark. The props used does not really compliment with the main food dish. Lighting usage is poor. You could try vertical shot as well as it does not always necessary have to be horizontal. Sometimes cropping away some stuffs will look better as it will bring your eyes towards the food rather than the whole.

Using a slightly shallow depth will help as well. Keep it simple is always the best. Too much props sometimes just kills the overall settings.

Try again.

Hi Splutter,

Personally I find both pics a bit too dark and lighting very flat....

I kind of cannot find the focus point (optical not compositional)...the entire open face sandwhich looks OOF to me and somehow I have a feeling that the set up is a Japanese location (sushi bamboo mat + sake bottle look a like) but the food is sandwhich.

I like the 2nd pic more, simple and yet inviting, may be its the colour of the soup. But the front or lower bread being out of the DOF is abit distracting. I prefer the last bread to be out of the DOF then the front bread.

Just my thinking though.:)

Hi Splutter,

Personally I find both pics a bit too dark and lighting very flat....

I kind of cannot find the focus point (optical not compositional)...the entire open face sandwhich looks OOF to me and somehow I have a feeling that the set up is a Japanese location (sushi bamboo mat + sake bottle look a like) but the food is sandwhich.

I like the 2nd pic more, simple and yet inviting, may be its the colour of the soup. But the front or lower bread being out of the DOF is abit distracting. I prefer the last bread to be out of the DOF then the front bread.

Just my thinking though.:)

That is not a bamboo mat. It's just a texture mat cloth.

And it's not a sake bottle. I think it's a pepper grinder.

Yah, i understand they are not, dats why I say somehow I have this feeling....I also duno why, may be 2 "Japanese look a like" item gave me that feeling:bsmilie:

That is not a bamboo mat. It's just a texture mat cloth.

And it's not a sake bottle. I think it's a pepper grinder.

Ooooh i recognise that mat. $3.90 from Ikea. hahaha :bsmilie: Also bought one. They can come in useful for food shots sometimes.

Yah, i understand they are not, dats why I say somehow I have this feeling....I also duno why, may be 2 "Japanese look a like" item gave me that feeling:bsmilie:

Actually I think the feel is more like from the restaurant "The Ship" or "Jack's Place"......hehe:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.