So many Nikon 50mm f/1.4G's for sale

Robbie J

Aug 22, 2006
Northern Singapore
I search the Clubsnap forums almost every day. One thing I've noticed is the number of 50mm f/1.4G's for sale. Most of the owners have owned them for less than a year (some only 3-4 months). You can find them on sale on the Nikon (for sale) forums regularly... like 2-3 every week at last count. Could it be that the owners are not getting the images they thought they'd be getting? I have no doubt that these relatively new lenses are working properly, and are really good lenses; but what's the reason for so many being sold off? I've got a feeling that too many photogs can't get used to "foot-zooming" and still prefer the convenience of zooms. And that they (photogs) find single-focal-length lenses too limiting :embrass:

Maybe they find the f1.8g a better bargain and produce almost similar result ?

perhaps many are just follow the advice from others blindly, until they bought the lens, can not get it works like what others has mention. sell it off after disappointment.

not just this lens, you can see all the 17-50 lens, 11-16 lens...

Don't think it's just the 50mm primes, I do see many other zooms, dslr bodies, etc being put on sale. And quite a few described as lucky draw prize or gift from xxx.

Or it could be the sheer proportion of the general hobbyist community that's using nikon. It's like toyota, the more mass market it is, the more u see on the resale market.

Some are also dumping the 50mm in favor of the 35mm, especially so now that the Sigma 35/1.4 is out and is reviewed by many to be one of the best primes out there nowadays.

The other lenses on an up trend in the B&S section is also the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 and the 85mm f/1.4.

I believe it is due to the exceptional good quality of the Sigma 35mm f1.4 and Nikon 85mm f/1.8G which is 1/3 the price of the f/1.4G variant.

I think many are attracted by it being the cheapest f1.4 in Nikon's arsenal but become bored by the restrictive fixed focal length & "boring" single standard angle of view. The one lens I see most often for sale in the B&S is the 24-70 f2.8; its available for sale almost daily over the past 2 years. This only but affirm the need to do some research & truly know what one real needs are before just plunging $$$ into lenses. There is no magic in a lens that automatically bestow upon us the best pictures once we own it.

Last edited:
There are so many reasons I can think of... But hey, each seller probably has his or her unique circumstances. What wants to know?

I think as long as you think the price is right, just go pick one up from these sellers. A Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4G will always be a 50mm prime lens with an aperture of f/1.4 driven by a sonic-wave motor, made by Nikon. Some like it, some don't.

Hey, check out the prices of these lenses in Japan or HK and you'll know why...

Last edited:
I think many are attracted by it being the cheapest f1.4 in Nikon's arsenal but become bored by the restrictive fixed focal length & "boring" single standard angle of view. The one lens I see most often for sale in the B&S is the 24-70 f2.8; its available for sale almost daily over the past 2 years. This only but affirm the need to do some research & truly know what one real needs are before just plunging $$$ into lenses. There is no magic in a lens that automatically bestow upon us the best pictures once we own it.

Yes, I agree completely. The reason I singled out the 50mm f1.4G is that so many of them for sale have been owned only for a short time, as opposed to the other lenses mentioned already. I think that the "standard" 50mm fast lens has been touted as a "must-have" lens in a photog's arsenal (just read the photo mags), and so many will just buy go out and buy one. But like you say s1221, there's no magic in any lens that will automatically guarantee better pics.

Yes, I agree completely. The reason I singled out the 50mm f1.4G is that so many of them for sale have been owned only for a short time, as opposed to the other lenses mentioned already. I think that the "standard" 50mm fast lens has been touted as a "must-have" lens in a photog's arsenal (just read the photo mags), and so many will just buy go out and buy one. But like you say s1221, there's no magic in any lens that will automatically guarantee better pics.

I am bucking the trend then haha.

I used to own a 50mm f1.8D. Sold it off when I got a NIB 50mm f1.2 which I love. The focal length is just right for me. I have the 35mm f2 but I find the 50 gives you a less distracting view. I have since picked up another 50mm f1.8D at a bargain. This is for when i am doing streets quick and dirty and the AF is a great help.

I dont think I will spring for the 50 f1.4G any time soon though. The asking prices for it is not realistic in my opinion for just half a stop faster performance from a f1.8G.

Last edited:
I think that the "standard" 50mm fast lens has been touted as a "must-have" lens in a photog's arsenal (just read the photo mags), and so many will just buy go out and buy one.

I really can't understand why people keep saying that. Perhaps the 50mm f/1.8 because it is an inexpensive lens for new photographers to explore a large aperture prime lens. But the f/1.4 versions aren't what I consider to be expensive or any way essential.

I have been soon photography since 2005, of which 5 years was spent on commercial work. And I still don't have a 50mm prime.

I am bucking the trend then haha.

I dont think I will spring for the 50 f1.4G any time soon though. The asking prices for it is not realistic in my opinion for just half a stop faster performance from a f1.8G.

Then you'll have f1.2, f1.4 and f1.8 50mms. :bigeyes:

The other lenses on an up trend in the B&S section is also the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 and the 85mm f/1.4.

I believe it is due to the exceptional good quality of the Sigma 35mm f1.4 and Nikon 85mm f/1.8G which is 1/3 the price of the f/1.4G variant.

not always f1.8 picture quality will be better than f1.4...especially the 85mm f1.4G...I've went to NSC last week just to test out these 2 variants...the 85mm 1.8 colour is not as rich and vibrant as the 1.4...which the NSC guy claim is due to lack of Nano coating...of cos, you can say you can PP using LR...but that's besides the point.
for the 50mm f1.4 1.8 difference...since both are nearly similar...no Nano..both G...maybe the 1.8G do make sense.
Those in the B&S forum...some are extra sets bought during tour...i noticed 1 from Japan, 1 from HKG. I'm also looking for 1, but couldn't decide since review always compare 1.4,1.8 and Sigma 1.4 which comes with aspherical elements :)
why buy 50mm 1.4? bec it is the cheapest 1.4 prime? :) how i wish i have money for CZ 55mm 1.4

I'm selling mine MINT as it was just for a single studio project I did..... 2-3 days usage !! haha.....

( My most common used lens is the 24mm f1.4 Nikkor and my 70-200 f2.8 VR2 )

Reminds me of this quote:

Edward Weston (1927)

"The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don't know what to do with it"