so hard to survive as a full time photographer in singapore

kitaro9202

Oct 6, 2008
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
it is so tough as the market has been diluted with those cheap photography service

Seem better to be a freelance photographer

If you got problem with business you better go seek help. Complaining is one thing, but taking action is another. Attend some non-photographer lead type of sales and marketing courses. Why I say attend non photographer lead is because in general photographers are not very good salesman and it is too easy to have the lesson drift into photography and equipment instead of real sales. And the trend for many photographers now is to sell workshops (which the aim is to sell, teaching newbies to succeed is another matter). My advice is to look outwards towards sales courses for salesmans. Spend the money and invest in yourself.

Whether you freelance or run a studio, isn't it the same? Do you mean part time instead? As a part timer you will never (or take a much longer time) progress into the full fledge capabilities and skills of a real photo professional.

Reactions: Edwin Francis
If you got problem with business you better go seek help. Complaining is one thing, but taking action is another. Attend some non-photographer lead type of sales and marketing courses. Why I say attend non photographer lead is because in general photographers are not very good salesman and it is too easy to have the lesson drift into photography and equipment instead of real sales. And the trend for many photographers now is to sell workshops (which the aim is to sell, teaching newbies to succeed is another matter). My advice is to look outwards towards sales courses for salesmans. Spend the money and invest in yourself.

Whether you freelance or run a studio, isn't it the same? Do you mean part time instead? As a part timer you will never (or take a much longer time) progress into the full fledge capabilities and skills of a real photo professional.

Second that...

Even season pro like myself still need to spend time and money in business related courses. I found many area that I am lack of and many things needed to address the short coming as far as business goes.

I don't sell business courses, but if you PM me, I am happy to point you the right direction of the business course that I just attended and benefit so much from it.

Complaining about the market won't make any changes to your current situation.

Regards,

Hart

it is so tough as the market has been diluted with those cheap photography service

Seem better to be a freelance photographer

Possibly because 30% of photographers I've seen in the Business are pretty average.

In this business, learn to run a business and market a business first then master being a photographer.

Second that...

Even season pro like myself still need to spend time and money in business related courses. I found many area that I am lack of and many things needed to address the short coming as far as business goes.

I don't sell business courses, but if you PM me, I am happy to point you the right direction of the business course that I just attended and benefit so much from it.

Complaining about the market won't make any changes to your current situation.

Regards,

Hart

You have Tomato Business Coaching Courses on Your Tomato Facebook Site.

ah... indeed I do... totally forgotten about it. It's different thing though. The course I am referring to is an external business coaching that has been around for 22 years and have office in 50+ countries. I personally get help from them too. That's what I am talking about above.

In business, there are many stages, the startup, the growth, the expansion, and enterprising. My coaching if I run it, is for start up and personal growth. But won't help anyone to enterprising their business.

But what I feel is important to learn how to enterprising it as the big picture and learn the other small stuffs from different source.

I learn specific lighting skill from another few fellow master, business from my business coach.

Of course, not everyone can or willing to pay for the business coach that I hire, so mine is where the "small" personalized coaching is about.

I do small coaching so people can learn to start somewhere and getting more results. The money I make from it is pitiful compared to my work. I make people pay because then they will take it seriously.

Just feel that it benefit our businesses a lot, so some can benefit from it too if they want.

Hope that make sense.

Regards,
Hart

Last edited:
Business has 2 major components. The sales/Marketing where bring people in. Another big part is delivery. Without the right mindset to create a strategic plan for both to work hand in hand business will not thrive.

In these 2 major components, there are hundreds of little things that make things works, call it the small parts inside your camera.

many people believe the only way is to understand how to do things, you can go to library and borrow books on these. But not many people think the mentally of how to get things done is important. Which is why there are very small percentage make it. Mentally is not tangible thing, but without it, doing all the tangible steps is not the most ideal.

Just my experience tells me.

Hart

Possibly because 30% of photographers I've seen in the Business are pretty average.

In this business, learn to run a business and market a business first then master being a photographer.

Exactly right. The 30% rule.

30% of photographers in a market will be mediocre and lousy.

30% will be average but nothing spectacular, get the job done, no surprise, no wow.

30% will be good, innovators, market leaders, or trend setters.

10% will be cream on the top of everything. But they may not always make money.

But when they do..., hehehe!

So we ask ourselves, where are we at? If it is not desirable, what changes to make to improve ourselves. Always good to reflect on our current state.

Exactly right. The 30% rule.

30% of photographers in a market will be mediocre and lousy.

30% will be average but nothing spectacular, get the job done, no surprise, no wow.

30% will be good, innovators, market leaders, or trend setters.

10% will be cream on the top of everything. But they may not always make money.

But when they do..., hehehe!

So we ask ourselves, where are we at? If it is not desirable, what changes to make to improve ourselves. Always good to reflect on our current state.

Agree!