SLR len to DSLR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

planetmg

Jan 11, 2005
My fren got to know that i got a canon 500D DSLR. She got a Manual SLR Canon camera long time back and wanted to pass me her Zoom lense. My question is can the lense from the SLR fit to my DSLR? how can i tell if it is able to fit ? Any indication ?

If yes, what is the different in operation ? Will there be an Auto Focus ?

Please help this noob......

Please read up about the Canon EF lens mount. Your camera manual will tell you more about compatible lenses. Also, not too difficult to find in Google.

It's "lens", not "len". Plural is "lenses".

Well, what's the mount? AFAIK it would depend on the MF camera she had; I'm not sure if Canon changed their lens mount design.

Canon changed their mount from the FD mount to the EF mount when they introduced the EOS line-up. If your friend's SLR isn't a EOS, then most likely it wouldn't fit onto your dSLR without an adaptor...

My fren got to know that i got a canon 500D DSLR. She got a Manual SLR Canon camera long time back and wanted to pass me her Zoom lense. My question is can the lense from the SLR fit to my DSLR? how can i tell if it is able to fit ? Any indication ?

if its a really old lens, most likely manual focus....but if its f2.8 or better then you have got yourself a great deal.

what you can do is search the camera model to find out what mount it uses, currently your 500D have no problem with EF and EFS lens. If its something other then these 2, likey need an adapter.

She might have passed u an FD mount lens ( or even the old FL mount :bsmilie:), cannot fit ur current 500D unless u use an FD-EOS mount. No Autofocus, just manually focus

Ryan

Canon changed their mount from the FD mount to the EF mount when they introduced the EOS line-up. If your friend's SLR isn't a EOS, then most likely it wouldn't fit onto your dSLR without an adaptor...

Thanks for the great info

if its a really old lens, most likely manual focus....but if its f2.8 or better then you have got yourself a great deal.

what you can do is search the camera model to find out what mount it uses, currently your 500D have no problem with EF and EFS lens. If its something other then these 2, likey need an adapter.

Thanks for the great info:thumbsup:

She might have passed u an FD mount lens ( or even the old FL mount :bsmilie:), cannot fit ur current 500D unless u use an FD-EOS mount. No Autofocus, just manually focus

Ryan

Thanks for the great info:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.