Sirui T-1004x tripod for S$180?

mrwangkai

May 27, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm currently shopping around for a good travel size tripod and was recommended to head over to Funan. I walked around and found TK Photo (I believe that was the name) to have the most collection.

The sales person was really helpful and recommended the Sirui T-1004x tripod to me (made of aluminum compared to its carbon cousin).

I really like the tripod and his explanation/demo was adequate in showing the sturdiness/convenience of the tripod. I also manage to find a review here.

I was just wondering if anyone on CS has experience with this tripod, and if the price of S$180 is a reasonable price?

Thank you!

Kai

This Sirui T-1004x Tripod is also inclusive of a Sirui G-10 Ball Head which I'm using it now.

So far, I don't see any disadvantage of this tripod,

Good Points
- Easy screw design for fast setting up of Tripod
- Can be inverted to fold nicely
- 6 years warranty
- cheapest of it's range, $180 - Tripod + Ball head..
- Includes a bag

This Tripod legs will be my next thing I'm going to get, I'm also considering the Manfrotto 190..

@Odyssey-Boy Yup, I do geniunely feel its a good tripod, just wasn't sure if S$180 is the reasonable price. It doesn't seem to be in stock in other countries (base on some Google search), so I wasn't able to get a comparison quote from elsewhere.

@johndoe161 the design seem to be fairly similar (other than the color and the grip). How much are they going for, do you know?

@Odyssey-Boy Yup, I do geniunely feel its a good tripod, just wasn't sure if S$180 is the reasonable price. It doesn't seem to be in stock in other countries (base on some Google search), so I wasn't able to get a comparison quote from elsewhere.

@johndoe161 the design seem to be fairly similar (other than the color and the grip). How much are they going for, do you know?

$180 if you order now, im picking up mine tommorow evening ;)

This Sirui T-1004x Tripod is also inclusive of a Sirui G-10 Ball Head which I'm using it now.

Good Points
- 6 years warranty
- Includes a bag

This Tripod legs will be my next thing I'm going to get, I'm also considering the Manfrotto 190..

U kena poison by who?:devil:

sooo... good buy?

I think you got the model wrong , it should be the T1005X,
I have this model and I topped up another $15 to get the G20 ballhead. The whole package is very light.
and easy to carry around. T1004 do not have the x and cost less. Disadvantage is abit short for me when not extended, (1.125m) .
When fully extended , I attached my bag to the centre column to stablise the setup.
Not ideal, but compromise between cost and travel weight is ok for me.

Last edited:

Good Points
- 6 years warranty
- Includes a bag

I m using it now as a traveller alternative to the pricy gitzo equilavent.. I m very pleased with it's quality, it can substain the weight of my heaviest setup which is very impressive imo.. I recomnend the carbon diver ver which is only $80 more but much lighter.. :)

I m using it now as a traveller alternative to the pricy gitzo equilavent.. I m very pleased with it's quality, it can substain the weight of my heaviest setup which is very impressive imo.. I recomnend the carbon diver ver which is only $80 more but much lighter.. :)

Yup, i remembered once at the sunrise outing that you were talking about this sirui tripod.. $80 more for CF ? TK foto quoted me $115 for the aluminium legs.. so that will be $200 ish for the CF one?

It's worth it, i used it extensively for travelling, light and fits in my backpack completely.

However, take care when there are big winds, mine almost toppled over, but i didnt weigh it down.

Yup, i remembered once at the sunrise outing that you were talking about this sirui tripod.. $80 more for CF ? TK foto quoted me $115 for the aluminium legs.. so that will be $200 ish for the CF one?

Yup :) To be excat 260.. bumped into Egnaro last saturday at Tk Foto which he bought it, out of curiosity, i checked with Philip from Tk, play ard with it and realised its quite a steal for that amount of money u pay for.. which easily cries "value for money".. Plus its really lightwieght, which make it really ideal for travelling..

Say all these, i will still stick by my Gitzo Explorer though.. ;)

Last edited:
Ok, I bought it! The CF was $330 (got this one in the end), the aluminum was $180. TX 1005 (yes, it's not 1004) and 1205 respectively.

From T K Foto, the guy that help me yesterday was Philip and then a different guy helped me today. Both are really good cs.

Trying out long exposure on the tripod now, will let you guys know how it goes. :)

Ok, I bought it! The CF was $330 (got this one in the end), the aluminum was $180. TX 1005 (yes, it's not 1004) and 1205 respectively.

From T K Foto, the guy that help me yesterday was Philip and then a different guy helped me today. Both are really good cs.

Trying out long exposure on the tripod now, will let you guys know how it goes. :)

I agree with you, think TK Foto is one that give me the best service and price so far. Went there again today to get a Lowepro bag.

Btw guys may I check who's Philip ? Is he the young looking guy w/o specs ?

Numnumball: Good price ! $260 and I can own a CF tripod. But then again, it's still quite a lot of Money to me since I'm a student.. I'd grab the Aluminium one instead, dismantle the legs and send to my dad's workshop to powdercoat lime green or loud orange .. Hehe:) DIY project coming out soon..

Lastly, to Sirui users, have anyone change their plates to Markins ? Wonder whether is it worth to get a Markins plate comared to the stock Sirui ?

Ok...so used the tripod and it was good at awkward angles.

Now I've a question about long exposure that I need advice on.

Q: The clarity of the picture, is it my lens, the body or light pollution?

The picture below is my first stab at long exposure outside my window using the new TX1005.

4660213216_395e68569e_b.jpg

From the EXIF info you can see these info:

• Exposure: 977
  • Aperture: f/22.0
  • ISO Speed: 200

Previous nights I'd blamed the lack of clarity on the lens not clean and the brightness of the moon. But tonight, everything should have been in place.

But as you can see, it's blurred, somewhat (not due to movement of course). I'd previously taken shorter long-exposures such as this one below (30sec) and not had a problem.

4371151536_28370b6f8f_b.jpg

Is this issue caused by light pollution or...?

Any thoughts? Appreciate it!

Sirui T-1004x seems to be a gd buy.
But is the 10kg max load a bit over rated as the tripod looks a bit filmsy?
If it can provide the heavy load with its light weight and lesser cost, wonder why people going for the carbon fiber series which are much more expensive?
Thanks for sharing your experience or thoughts.

I agree with you, think TK Foto is one that give me the best service and price so far. Went there again today to get a Lowepro bag.

Btw guys may I check who's Philip ? Is he the young looking guy w/o specs ? ?

Phillip is the tall skinny guy with specs. :)

Numnumball: Good price ! $260 and I can own a CF tripod. But then again, it's still quite a lot of Money to me since I'm a student.. I'd grab the Aluminium one instead, dismantle the legs and send to my dad's workshop to powdercoat lime green or loud orange .. Hehe:) DIY project coming out soon.. ?

Power.. U shall have the most coloroful tripod of us all in future outings :thumbsup:

Lastly, to Sirui users, have anyone change their plates to Markins ? Wonder whether is it worth to get a Markins plate comared to the stock Sirui ?

Hmm.. i am using markins plates.. for my mbd10 and tripod collar.. i have to say they are very well made and its quality worth every penny u pay for.. :thumbsup:

Ok...so used the tripod and it was good at awkward angles.

Now I've a question about long exposure that I need advice on.

Q: The clarity of the picture, is it my lens, the body or light pollution?

The picture below is my first stab at long exposure outside my window using the new TX1005.

4660213216_395e68569e_b.jpg

From the EXIF info you can see these info:

• Exposure: 977
  • Aperture: f/22.0
  • ISO Speed: 200

Any thoughts? Appreciate it!

I will say could be due : -

1. to ur lens (settings) - at f22 diffraction really kicks in
2. to ur lens (filter) - did u have one on? it could be due to flare caused mostly by UV due to long exposure.
3. Body (sensor) - can see spots all over, time to clean up those dust specks
4. Light pollution - Possiblily...

Good to hear that TK is still keeping good service despite moving to Funan. Hope this will continue. One thing to test is bring camera down, screw in the plate and put on the tripod. Make sure the plate remains tightly locked to your camera. Don't let him use the allen key to tighten; you should not have problems tightening with just hands alone.