Singma or Tamron Macro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikandarp

Dec 11, 2007
Singapore
Hi,

Can you please share your experience with Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro & Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Lens?

I don't have budget for Nikon Macro so will have to accommodate with any of these lens. :(

Please advice.
Even Sample pics will be great.

Tamron 90mm is proved a very good lens, light weight and sharp.

Thanks guys. Very quick reply.

Can you please also tell me if Tokina is there in my range? I am not sure the pricing + quality with compare to tamron.

There is a Tokina 100mm if I'm not mistaken. Look in the 3rd part sub-forum for more info.

I'm using a Tamron 90 for my macro shoots. Look in my flickr for examples. ;)

Thanks a lot guys.

Got coverage of both lenses Tokina & Tamron on forum and some other review sites. Most of the reviews have recommended both lenses equally. No direct comparison to each other.

Even saw some pics of both the lenses on flickr. Pics Quality almost same.

Now confused which one I should pick up, any final words from gurus? or I should pick up any of them.

I personally prefer Tamron 90mm, actually my horseshoe macro lens is Nikon 200f4. But recently brought the Tamron 90mm as backup.

Attached a uncropped test shot using Tamron 90mm

Cheap and good macro lenses go for tamron---best lense.

I have both the Tamron 90mm and 180mm, also the Nikon micro 105mm VR. Go for the Tamron if $$ is your constraint.

I'm using Sigma 70-300mm with Nikon 6T close up adapter. Total cost less than $400. Much more than 1:1 ratio at 300mm, and very sharp at f16 and above! Just have to put up with the precise focusing distance (about 25cm) with the adapter in place.

I chose Tokina 100mm over Tamron 90mm. I have tried both and their IQ is similiar. What pushed me to Tokina is the lower price (I got it at a promotional price at TK last yr end) and most importantly the difference in built quality between the 2.

The Tokina feels very well built - the material used is similiar to the high end Nikons, the finishing is good with no loose barrel when fully extended and overall it feels like a very rugged piece of lens. When I compared it with the Tamron 90mm, the Tamron feels light and plasticky. The barrel also seemed to be a bit loose. But I feel the auto focus speed of the tamron is a bit better but its not so impt since we seldom use AF in macro.

Take a look at my flickr for some sample pics.

I'm using Sigma 70-300mm with Nikon 6T close up adapter. Total cost less than $400. Much more than 1:1 ratio at 300mm, and very sharp at f16 and above! Just have to put up with the precise focusing distance (about 25cm) with the adapter in place.

Can your cam auto focus when u use the Nikon 6T?

I chose Tokina 100mm over Tamron 90mm. I have tried both and their IQ is similiar. What pushed me to Tokina is the lower price (I got it at a promotional price at TK last yr end) and most importantly the difference in built quality between the 2.

The Tokina feels very well built - the material used is similiar to the high end Nikons, the finishing is good with no loose barrel when fully extended and overall it feels like a very rugged piece of lens. When I compared it with the Tamron 90mm, the Tamron feels light and plasticky. The barrel also seemed to be a bit loose. But I feel the auto focus speed of the tamron is a bit better but its not so impt since we seldom use AF in macro.

Take a look at my flickr for some sample pics.

agree. tokina generally has better build than tamron. though i havent tried the tokina, the build quality of the tamron isnt fantastic, and it extends to abt 2x its length at 1:1 mag

IQ is pretty decent though, and AF is suprisingly fine (for me at least). never considered the tokina, but im happy enough with the tamron:D

Can your cam auto focus when u use the Nikon 6T?

Yes, but due to the precise focus distance required, it's not useful to autofocus. It will hunt a lot until you get into the correct range. Best to use manual focus set to the closest distance and move back and forth until it's in focus.

This method is not an ideal replacement for a dedicated macro lens obviously, but a cheap alternative if you're really on a budget.

Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro is the best lens anytime for macro and indoor portraits. Tamron SP 90mm design has been around for over 20 years. It is repackage to suite the AF system of the changing camera system requirement. It is a worth to buy for price, value, quality and usage. Many use this lens for portraits in the film days.

90mm tamron is a good choice. I have it. :) IQ is good and not expensive either.

90mm + body - ext flash is good for hand held macro shooting.

working distance may be a problem sometimes. Just had a butterfly macro session with some T180 and nikkor 200mm f4 guys. It was really a disadvantage for me as my working distance is shorter, but with practice and patience, is not a BIG a deal.

HTH

Tempted to get this Tamron 90mm lens after all the good reviews here. Anyone know where to get it in Pentax mount locally? It's available according to the Tamron website but just can't find a shop that stocks it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.