Singapore F717 Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi senhwei,

nice photos... like the colours on some of them.... just a qn, were there any post-processing.... it looks interesting... still a colour picture but some sepia tones on them! :)

though some of your landscape pictures are quite dark...
i especially like the supreme court one!

the sky looks very graidently...and gloomy....ah..dun know how to describe...just the right mood for that building...nice!

plainsman - thanks ! I post-process all my photos before I post them on the net. The typical changes I make are to adjust the exposure levels, sometime I run unsharp mask and sometimes I saturate the colours a bit and others I add some colour cast to the photo. Just experimenting with PS ! :)

AMDer - the gloomy looking sky you see if some of the photos is due to the polarising filter I used. The original photo has very dark and saturated skies. When I applied a colour cast to the photos, the dark sections became almost black.

cheers,

senhwei

PozTer - in response to your earlier question, the serial number of my F717 is 1895569 which is outside of the "recall zone" -

whew !

cheers,

Hi there,

With reference from the list below, my 717 serial no is 1890531, do you think I need to go to the Sony service centre.

BTW, E32 is refering to what? Based on the serial nos listed, mine is in there. Juz gone through a little playtime with 717, a little busy with work dateline. Not sure mine is affected or not.

Your advise is appreciated. rgds

PozTer

senhwei [/B][/QUOTE]DSC-F717 Auto Focus Symptom
31-10-2002

Sony's Digital Still Camera, DSC-F717, that are produced during the initial production period have the symptom of being out of focus. It occurs because the hologram AF does not function properly when it is used under dark illumination, and recorded pictures become out of focus.

Sony will repair the units at Sony's Authorized Service Centers. The range of serial numbers listed below shows the Digital Still Cameras that are affected. Please check the serial number of your Digital Still Camera and if it is one of them, please contact your local Sony Contact Center for further assistance.

Serial Number Range (for Asia Pacific region)
===================================
E32 1890001-1895150
AU2 1980001-1980600
HK1 1970001-1970850
KR2 1960001-1961845
CN5 1990001-1992800

You may refer to the Contacts section in this website for the relevant contact numbers.

hi senhwei,

thanks for replying..... keep shooting and keep experimenting! :)

good day

Originally posted by PozTer

Hi there,

With reference from the list below, my 717 serial no is 1890531, do you think I need to go to the Sony service centre.

BTW, E32 is refering to what? Based on the serial nos listed, mine is in there. Juz gone through a little playtime with 717, a little busy with work dateline. Not sure mine is affected or not.

Your advise is appreciated. rgds

PozTer

PozTer -

I had the same question as well as to what the "E32" or "AU2" etc. before each serial number range means. I can only guess that it must refer to the distribution point for that particular shipment ? Perhaps, certain batches of the first production run of the F717 were allocated to the various Asia Pacific countries by serial number ranges.

As to whether or not you have your camera "fixed", the following points are probably relevant :

* it is a 5 minute procedure to adjust the settings. So, if you can spare the time, you might as well have the camera adjusted.

* having said that, the auto-focus problem will only surface under some very specific shooting conditions - certain low-light conditions. If you don't do a lot of low-light shooting, then you can probably live with the camera in its current state.

But if it was up to me, having paid quite a lot of money for the camera, I would want to have it in tip top condition and I would get the adjustments made.

cheers,

senhwei

thought you might want to know that Fotoguide, located near Cathay Photo in Peninsula, sells filters pretty cheap. Monocoated ND8 (52mm) properly goes for ~$11 or 12 each. 58mm won't cost much more.

Thanks mpenza !

I'm back in Sydney now having spent this last week in Singapore. I've bought a UV, a polariser and a ND8 filter. The first two from CP and the last one from John 3:16.

My previous camera was a point and shoot. So, I figure these three filters will last me sometime in trying to use them effectively before I move on fancier filters !

cheers,

senhwei

Originally posted by senhwei
Astin - I think we're thinking along the same lines ! I bought all the accesories that you've mentioned except for the lens hood and external flash.

I bought UV and circular PL filters. I'll be going back to buy a ND8 filter as well.

cheers,

senhwei

Except for flash?? It will be important at some stage to allow for more creativity... in fact, that would be my main reason for me wanting to get the 717... because it has a hot shoe... the possibilities for shots would double because of the flash...

Originally posted by willyfoo

Except for flash?? It will be important at some stage to allow for more creativity... in fact, that would be my main reason for me wanting to get the 717... because it has a hot shoe... the possibilities for shots would double because of the flash...

I figured that I'd live with the internal flash for the time being. :) I understand that I won't have the flexibility of doing bounce flashes etc.. but I'm taking a "one step at a time" approach. I don't want to over-accesorise and spend money on things which I may not be using as much.

Do you use a lot of flash in your photography ? I generally turn the flash off as the flash creates a very artificial light (IMHO).

cheers,

senhwei

Status
Not open for further replies.