Singapore Airshow 2014.

I went to Changi Beach today to catch the rehearsal. Only saw the Black Knights, F-18 solo, F-16 solo and ROKAF Black Eagles. These 4 took up an hour already, dunno how are they gonna squeeze in the others. Disappointed didn't get to see the V-22 Osprey...

Tip: Bring along a second body with wide lens to capture some smoke drawings the Black Knights and Black Eagles draw in the sky!
The F18 is from RAAF right?

I suppose the F16 is our own.

The F18 is from RAAF right?

I suppose the F16 is our own.
Yup, the F-18 is from RAAF. It's their new F-18F Super Hornet btw, not the old F-18C. ;)
The F-16 is from USAF actually. Has WW tailcode, should be from Misawa AB, Japan.

Last edited:
I went to Changi Beach today to catch the rehearsal. Only saw the Black Knights, F-18 solo, F-16 solo and ROKAF Black Eagles. These 4 took up an hour already, dunno how are they gonna squeeze in the others. Disappointed didn't get to see the V-22 Osprey...

Tip: Bring along a second body with wide lens to capture some smoke drawings the Black Knights and Black Eagles draw in the sky!

How wide for the 2nd body for the smoke drawing? 50mm can?

Afternoon rehersal on sathurday was only F16 then civil flights resumed

How wide for the 2nd body for the smoke drawing? 50mm can?
I was at the ferry terminal and they look big from there. Don't think 50mm can fit unless you shoot from further away like carpark 6. Maybe 18 to 28mm will be better?

I was at the ferry terminal and they look big from there. Don't think 50mm can fit unless you shoot from further away like carpark 6. Maybe 18 to 28mm will be better?

24mm will be okay. Apparently the Koreans are still fine tuning different "moves"

Yup, the F-18 is from RAAF. It's their new F-18F Super Hornet btw, not the old F-18C. ;)
The F-16 is from USAF actually. Has WW tailcode, should be from Misawa AB, Japan.
I see, thanks for the heads up!

I'm wondering if i'm able to take aerial shots using the 70-200 on a crop body.

I see, thanks for the heads up!

I'm wondering if i'm able to take aerial shots using the 70-200 on a crop body.

I was using a 70-200 on crop body yesterday at the changi beach. You can take aerial shots but at times you may wish to have a longer focal range (400mm) to get a bigger shots of the subject. My recommended lens is at least 100-400mm

Black Knights no show today morning session. .

I was there this morning too! Yah no Black Knights, and no F-16 solo either. This morning we had the Black Eagles, the TNI-AU Jupiter team, F-18F, C-17, V-22 (Yesssss!!), and YAK-130

Clouds covered the smoke drawings by the Black Eagles today. :(

I was using a 70-200 on crop body yesterday at the changi beach. You can take aerial shots but at times you may wish to have a longer focal range (400mm) to get a bigger shots of the subject. My recommended lens is at least 100-400mm
I see, I'll see how it work out then. The push pull for the 100-400 is a no go.

Anyway I just looked at the air show website, the MV22, C17 and KC130J might be on static display..

The aircrafts appeared on the static display page.

Wondering where can I find the AH6I..

Anyone using teleconverters on their tele lens?

Care to share your user's experience pls?

If you use a teleconverter, you should try to stop down the aperature a bit. Since Planes don't have a lot of detail you should get away with unsharp mask for sharpening. if you stop down too much you will suddenly start to see how dirty your SENSOR is, then lots of clean up to do. If you are at the beach, you would need 400-800 mm to
have a nice shot of the Osprey as it seems to be always a bit too far and with the sun blasting down, you only have small window for unhazy shots. When the big boy comes out, C17 ,A350 your focal length may become too long unless you want head shots. Having a TC also means you may have to raise Shutter Speed or get a blurry shot..

You should use RAW mode and also overexpose a bit "+0.3 to +0.7" so that shadows
have a bit of a chance to be recovered eg Cockpit, engine blades, undersides...
just make sure the highlights cannot blow.. I also stop down to F9-F10 so that
I control the amount of glare going into the sensor. I have D3s so I set Auto ISO
to limit the ISO to a max iso of my choice.

TC also allow you to have that extra reach to capture the pilot in the cockpit!

Make sure you bring a LINT FREE waist bag with you or other handy container
in case you need to quickly remove your TC!

All photos from beach next to ferry jetty.
My Lens is Nikon 600 MM manual focus, wanted to get the new tamron but too bad there
is no stock. Manual focus and tracking the planes was quite taxing!

Osprey 600MM MF with 1.4 TC - Forgot to lower the shutter speed to 1/200 for blade motion

600MM MF with 1.4 TC

A350 600MM MF with 2X TC

C17 600MM MF with 2X TC

Last edited:
Apparently the TNI-AU Jupiter team was removed from SA 2014 website

Just checked they're back listed at the site.

Last edited:
Hi, yah, they're quite good actually. Too bad they're not going to make it.

[/URL]