Silica gel query

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcompass10

Dec 29, 2009
South
hi there,
How do we extract the moisture from pink silica gel and get them back to blue colour?
I placed my silica gel in the hot afternoon sun for a few hours but they remained pinkish.

Are they "spoilt"? ie. damaged and can never turn blue again.

Hope to hear advice from the experts...
:)
cw

hi there,
How do we extract the moisture from pink silica gel and get them back to blue colour?
I placed my silica gel in the hot afternoon sun for a few hours but they remained pinkish.

Are they "spoilt"? ie. damaged and can never turn blue again.

Hope to hear advice from the experts...
:)
cw

I've tried "baking" it in oven, but the gel became very hot, by the time it has cooled down and suitable for the dry box, it turns back to pink again.

IMHO, it is a waste of effort. Go for the electric dry box if you can.

I've tried "baking" it in oven, but the gel became very hot, by the time it has cooled down and suitable for the dry box, it turns back to pink again.

it turns back due to moisture is still trapped underneath.
have to stir & fry. :D

& yes, getting a dry cabi will be even better. (Which i will do so in this year)

I believe the Silica gel is supposed to be disposed after the color is changed, I am using this to keep my electrical transformer dry but in my own opinion, We don't know what kind of moisture it absorbs. Don't cook this thing because you don't know the chemical components released during excessive heating. you have to chose between CANCER or a 1$ from your pocket. :)

The blue to pink reaction in the Silica Gel is due to the chemical reaction Cobalt Chloride has when it comes in contact with water. Cobalt Chloride is a carcinogenic substance (meaning it can cause cancer), it is also an irritant to skin, lungs, and eyes. There is a substitute. There are companies that make Silica Gel that starts out orange and turns to green which is non-toxic and safe to reuse. www.silicagelpackets.com carries a wide variety of Silica Gel products that use the non-toxic alternative to Cobalt Chloride. I ordered packets from them to use with my underwater camera as well as my digital SLR and was pleased with the products as well as the price. Your best bet is to throw away the pink Silica Gel and get some new Silica Gel that won't give you cancer!

I simply put it on a ceramic plate and put it into the baking oven for around 1 hour, mixing it up at times. After that, it turned back to blue and was useable.

I presume you don't do much baking right?

Use a steel tin tray or ceramic with lid like those tin moon cake box, put the silica in the opened container and up heat to 125 degree. Once the silica is well dried, off the power, semi vent (not full open) the oven about 1 min, then put the lid over the box (need not be tight). Let the oven cool down further to warm hot (you can open/close a few time to speed things up). While the oven is still warm hot close the lid properly. Wait till all is cool and remove the silica gel. Empty only cooled silica gel into drybox or it will turn pink.

Reason. When you remove the hot silica from the oven and expose to room temp, lots of vapour will form on you surface of the container and thus silica will turn pink very fast. If you slight lid it in the warm oven, the vapour cannot form inside as the high temp in oven keeps vapour out, keeping the silica dry till they cool. :)

i went to homefix, and the assistant over there doesnt know what is silica gel -.-

Dry cabi is the recommended fuss free solution..

Status
Not open for further replies.