Sigma DP2M - A User's Review

A couple of flower pics taken with the DP2M.

original.jpg

Phalaenopsis

original.jpg

100% crop

original.jpg

Cymbidium

original.jpg

100% crop

The camera feels good and takes nice pics as seen on this thread --- one MAJOR shortcoming is ---- Lightroom (don't know about Aperture) does not recognise this camera so it is IMPOSSIBLE to upload the raw photos produced by the camera but we have to process it first in the SIGMA's own software and then upload TIFF or JPEGs before processing in ADOBE LIGHTROOM. THis is a real limitation which SIGMA should look into and until they are sort this one out the camera will be of limited appeal as even the most obscure of cameras from Pentax are covered by Lightroom/Aperture when this camera is not. A but surprised.

paulng said:
The camera feels good and takes nice pics as seen on this thread --- one MAJOR shortcoming is ---- Lightroom (don't know about Aperture) does not recognise this camera so it is IMPOSSIBLE to upload the raw photos produced by the camera but we have to process it first in the SIGMA's own software and then upload TIFF or JPEGs before processing in ADOBE LIGHTROOM. THis is a real limitation which SIGMA should look into and until they are sort this one out the camera will be of limited appeal as even the most obscure of cameras from Pentax are covered by Lightroom/Aperture when this camera is not. A but surprised.

Aperture can't read the files either. It's a well known inconvenience. Those packages don't claim to be able to read them so no surprise. ;)

Last edited:
Unless Sigma go jio jio Thomas Knoll, I don't think Sigma make Adobe do anything...

The camera feels good and takes nice pics as seen on this thread --- one MAJOR shortcoming is ---- Lightroom (don't know about Aperture) does not recognise this camera so it is IMPOSSIBLE to upload the raw photos produced by the camera but we have to process it first in the SIGMA's own software and then upload TIFF or JPEGs before processing in ADOBE LIGHTROOM. .

This is also my process flow. Shot in RAW, convert to JPEG by SPP, and then PP on LR or PS.
even LR/PS can read the RAW, i would still prefer to go through SPP 1st. this is because ;

i) X3 Fill light feature is powerful. a feature dedicated for Foveon sensor. I can pull the curve from underexposed area while retain lots of detail

2) convert RAW to JPEG on SPP would retain the foveon color, and the pop out effect of the image

Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce that firmware for SIGMA DP2 Merrill is available for download.

Benefits of the firmware update:

SIGMA DP2 Merrill firmware [Ver.1.04]
・Adds the Face Detection Mode
・It is possible to create B/W images in RAW or RAW+JPEG mode.
・It corrects the phenomenon that transferring an image using a USB cable fails occasionally.
・It is possible that non-SIGMA external flashguns can synchronize at a shutter speed of 1/125 second or slower.
・It corrects the phenomenon that JPEG images are not properly displayed in the Adobe RGB color space.

SIGMA DP2 Merrill firmware Ver.1.04 is available for download at the following site. SIGMA DP2 Merrill Firmware | SIGMA DP : Special Contents

cheergal.gif
cheergal.gif
cheergal.gif

Which shop offer the best price for DP2M and if there's still free free Sigma EF-140 TTL flash to go with?

Which shop offer the best price for DP2M and if there's still free free Sigma EF-140 TTL flash to go with?
Considering that Sigma is not a common mainstream camera brand and the number of dealers who would actually stock and sell the DP2M could be counted on just one hand, your question should be 'where can I buy the DP2M?' and thank your lucky star if any of them having any available ex-stock for you to buy. :) And yes... I believe that the flash is still free with the DP2M.

so far i see a knockout of the Nikon Coolpix A by the DP2M (in the IQ department only), next interesting bout would be between Ricoh GR V and DP2M. anticipating your excellent review again, tomcat.

so far i see a knockout of the Nikon Coolpix A by the DP2M (in the IQ department only), next interesting bout would be between Ricoh GR V and DP2M. anticipating your excellent review again, tomcat.

the dp2m is 45mm while the GR is 28mm, you should be comparing against dp1m which is 28mm instead. Anyway the dp series is only about IQ department, every other aspect of camera functions are well known to be worst off compared to normal camera, so i thought it is more straight forward only get the dp series if you are only concern about getting the best IQ, if not get others

the dp2m is 45mm while the GR is 28mm, you should be comparing against dp1m which is 28mm instead. Anyway the dp series is only about IQ department, every other aspect of camera functions are well known to be worst off compared to normal camera, so i thought it is more straight forward only get the dp series if you are only concern about getting the best IQ, if not get others

you are absolutely right, i stand corrected.

yes, for me IQ is number one on the spec list of any cam, so right now the DPxM series is actually very attractive and suited to my shooting preference.

but who knows, once the actual reviews of the GR V are out, i may change my mind.

I have only done a comparison between the DP1M and Coolpix A so far since they have lenses which are both about the same focal length. Though the DP1M easily bested the Coolpix A in image quality in my comparison, I have to say that the Coolpix A is no pushover in that department too and is surprisingly good for such a compact camera. It can produce images that are as good if not better than most DSLRs with APS-C sensors in the market today.