Sigma DP2M - A User's Review

New firmware (ver. 1.01) is now available for the DP2M.
SIGMA DP2 Merrill Firmware | SIGMA DP : Special Contents

The benefits are:

• Enables the setting of the ISO Sensitivity in steps of 1/3 EV.
  • Enables the setting of the Lower limit and Upper limit of the ISO Sensitivity in ISO Auto mode.
  • Enables the capture of a custom white balance image, the setting of ISO Auto range and the setting of Interval timer in Quick Set Menu.
  • Speed of Auto Focus is improved by enhancement of the algorithm.
  • Incorporates Speed Priority AF mode.
  • Corrects the rarely occurring phenomenon that images cannot be reviewed or created when using the camera with some types of SD cards.
  • Corrects the unlikely event that in AF mode the image cannot be recorded properly even if the shutter button is pressed “all-the-way down”.

New update to Sigma Photo Pro to ver. 5.3.2 is now available for downloading
SIGMA Photo Pro | SIGMA DP : Special Contents

The new features are:
Ver.5.3.2

• Corrects the phenomenon that the Adjustment Control Palette is redrawn after changing its parameters.
  • Adds exposure compensation information to an information field in the Main Window and Review Window.
  • Speeds up the display of thumbnails when selecting a folder containing many image files.
  • Corrects the phenomenon that images are partially or entirely displayed in black after processing.
  • Prevents the brightness changing drastically after using the eyedropper to redo the gray balance.
  • Improved accuracy of the slider providing correction value for Chromatic Aberration Correction.

WOW ! Great firmware update !
Low light indoor and low contrast AF has improved tremendously after firmware update. Previously, AF would hunt irritatingly and probably not even achieve AF. Now there's hardly any hunting even.
Good job, Sigma :thumbsup:
This probably means that a firmware update should be coming soon for the DP1M to improve its AF algorithm in the same way. :)

congratulations tomcat ....... your thread hit >10,000 views in 30 days ..... this is a record of sorts ...... it normally takes about 2.5 to 3 months for a posted review thread on a popular product :)

Last edited:
congratulations tomcat ....... your thread hit >10,000 views in 30 days ..... this is a record of sorts ...... it normally takes about 2.5 to 3 months for a posted review thread on a popular product :)
Got prize or not :D

Hey guys,

Thought I'd like to share a photo shot using the AML-2 close-up lens with you guys. Not the best condition and subject. Shot at f/6.3 mounted on a tripod and with the latest firmware. I can almost eat the sashimi! ;p

326817_4681254834766_304176233_o.jpg

Sold my DP2s earlier this year, got the Lumix GX1 and was waiting for this. Never quite got to terms with the GX1, missed the DP2s and the stunning details. Soon... you'll be mine again ... :)

Last edited:
Sold my DP2s earlier this year, got the Lumix GX1 and was waiting for this. Never quite got to terms with the GX1, missed the DP2s and the stunning details. Soon... you'll be mine again ... :)
You're in luck.
Unlike the DP1M which is out of stock, the DP2M is still available. With the updated firmware, the autofocusing of the DP2M is more responsive. ;)
Go get it !!

Will very very likely sell the GX1 to get back the DP2M. How is the ISO performance? The DP2S at ISO640 was unacceptable to me and at ISO400 I already a bit buey tahan. The DP2M seems to be acceptable to ISO800?

Will very very likely sell the GX1 to get back the DP2M. How is the ISO performance? The DP2S at ISO640 was unacceptable to me and at ISO400 I already a bit buey tahan. The DP2M seems to be acceptable to ISO800?
Difficult to say. The DP2M is definitely much better than the DP2 at high ISO performance but whether it is acceptable at whatever ISO is very subjective as a lot depends on the individual's level of tolerance towards noise in high ISO shots. I like the DP1M & DP2M because of the ultra fine details that they could capture and any noise to me would affect the fine details they capture, so I personally won't use them above ISO 400. Others might beg to differ because of their own personal shooting preferences.

I just received a review unit of this Sigma DP2M yesterday. I'm not a Sigma camera fan myself but I like the simple and clean menu navigation and button controls. I will definitely not be going too technical in my review since you have done a great job here. Once completed, my review will be posted on my blog at Music.Photo.Life. and XINMSN. If you guys have any other areas that want me to cover, please let me know and I will try my best to include in my review. Cheers!

Took my DP1M & DP2M to Turkey for holiday last week.
These are some of the shots taken in Turkey with the DP2M.

original.jpg

Grand Bazaar, Istanbul

original.jpg

The best Turkish Delights in Istanbul

original.jpg

Cappadocia

original.jpg

Ferry crossing on the Sea of Marmara

original.jpg

Hot air balloon ride over Cappadocia

Thanks for risking life and limbs bringing in bringing this shot to us.:cool: