Sigma 50mm f1.4 - new batch = outstanding performer

wah liu...my earlier 3 not good examples? Then I better remove them :bigeyes:

There isn't any greeneries in Dubai. Let me search through my older picts and see if I can find something.

I saw some examples in the Sigma 12-24 thread. Difficult to judge web pages so no comments but still don't have that special effect. You shud post some of your Contax N shots, this baby is sure to impress. Can you shoot one on your Sig 50f1.4 something like this, I want to see whether it pops.

IMG_3752.JPG

I saw some examples in the Sigma 12-24 thread. Difficult to judge web pages so no comments but still don't have that special effect. You shud post some of your Contax N shots, this baby is sure to impress. Can you shoot one on your Sig 50f1.4 something like this, I want to see whether it pops.

My Contax N is still with Conurus, waiting for conversion. It wouldn't be ready till mid 2010.

There is no pop or 3D in Sigma lenses. If that is what you are looking for. The 12-24 is special in that it offers a 12mm perspective and has very good distortion control.

Will go shoot some colours this weekend.

Last edited:
it coming it coming! :D

thanks for my fren helping me the lens in HK!

Just got my sigma 50mm 1.4 lens shipped from HK www.tincheungcamera.com.hk

awazing.. both the company delivery and product - order the lens in the morning and got the lens by 11AM the next day. $200 cheaper than getting it in SG.

This lens is truly amazing.

awazing.. both the company delivery and product - order the lens in the morning and got the lens by 11AM the next day. $200 cheaper than getting it in SG.

What is the price you are getting? $650?

I did email them & ask them before, yes it is $200 cheaper but without any warranty. So in the end I got from TK instead. Pay more for the warranty.

I did email them & ask them before, yes it is $200 cheaper but without any warranty. So in the end I got from TK instead. Pay more for the warranty.
so buying online do not have company chop and the inter-national warranty do not work?

4321533995_e8eaa7dda4_b.jpg

thanks to my fren, bought a sharp copy for me!

Focus on the right eye of the doll.

Resized but not cropped.
Aperture: f1.4
Speed: 1/60
ISO: 400
Cam: Canon 500D

Last edited:
I thought I had a reasonable copy when I tried in shop (took a few photos on paper, outside shop). Sending it in tomorrow morning and hopeful before my next shoot with this lens. :cry:

The only reason I chose this over the Nikon 50mm f1.4 of the same price is coz this lens supposed to be sharper when opened wide. Hope it doesn't disappoint when I get it back.

test my copy further than 3m, no focus problem. using 500D

i think the 3m issue is more on FF body.

Hi Seniors,
I've juz got my copy but it appears soft from 1.4~1.8.
Check front/ back focus on focus chart and it doesn't have any front/ back focus issues.
Need advice if calibration will still be required and if it will help improve the IQ at wide aperature?

Hi Seniors,
I've juz got my copy but it appears soft from 1.4~1.8.
Check front/ back focus on focus chart and it doesn't have any front/ back focus issues.
Need advice if calibration will still be required and if it will help improve the IQ at wide aperature?
mine is also soft. the photo above u can see clearly. or urs is more soft? any photo to show?

mine is also soft. the photo above u can see clearly. or urs is more soft? any photo to show?

The Photo looks sharp to me, maybe mine is softer.
I do not expect it to be tact sharp at 1.4. Not sure if calibration will help????:think:

under this kind of low contrast lighting, shooting at F1.4, your pict look alright to me. You should try under good bright light & compare, should be even better.

Actually if still under warrantly, no harm sending in for calibrate.

At F1.4, the DOF is very thin, under low light, very easy to out of foucus if not careful.

under this kind of low contrast lighting, shooting at F1.4, your pict look alright to me. You should try under good bright light & compare, should be even better.

Actually if still under warrantly, no harm sending in for calibrate.

At F1.4, the DOF is very thin, under low light, very easy to out of foucus if not careful.
wahaha ok lar i test on bright day before. surprisingly, it is quite accurate at low light. anyway the photo attach is shoot during walking but a bit out of focus due to movement! for the pic it is still pop or not, u see for urself.

4331974455_0299310f42_o.jpg

wahaha ok lar i test on bright day before. surprisingly, it is quite accurate at low light. anyway the photo attach is shoot during walking but a bit out of focus due to movement! for the pic it is still pop or not, u see for urself.

4331974455_0299310f42_o.jpg

pop or not???:bsmilie: Dont ask me, till now I dont know understand how lens can make any pict "POP".

To me, whether a pict "POP" depend on the subject, lighting, Mood, colour, tone ect. ect. not only the lens IQ.

Your pict have no subject. try shoot somthing closer at F1.4, in order to bring out the sharpness & the bokeh.

As I always say, this lens is not about sharpness, if one want sharpness, get a F1.8 50mm canon or nikon betrer. What for waste so much $$$. :bsmilie:

pop or not???:bsmilie: Dont ask me, till now I dont know understand how lens can make any pict "POP".

To me, whether a pict "POP" depend on the subject, lighting, Mood, colour, tone ect. ect. not only the lens IQ.

Your pict have no subject. try shoot somthing closer at F1.4, in order to bring out the sharpness & the bokeh.

As I always say, this lens is not about sharpness, if one want sharpness, get a F1.8 50mm canon or nikon betrer. What for waste so much $$$. :bsmilie:
understand wat you saying. this lens is quite sharp. but i like the bokeh more! as for the color and contrast, it is good! though CZ is much much better wahhaa