Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports

Hi all,

Currently contemplating whether to buy the sports version or not. I currently own the AFS 80-400 VR 2, I liked the lightweight telephoto. :) However, the 600mm sounds great with my D7100. Any Nikon users who have owned these 2 lenses before? mind sharing your input? Is the sigma sharper or on par with the Nikkor? Thank you!

P.S. i don't mind the weight. Handheld the AFS 300 non VR before in the past.

I have the C version (understand you asked for S) and do own the 300mm AFS and also rented the 80-400 V2 before. My body is 7100.

After using for 3 times, I still find issues getting sharp focus on my Sigma C especially at 600. I know 600mm was reported to be less than optimum in other forums but I still think it cannot be that bad. So far I taken with tripod with OS off, so I will try OS on next time.

At this point, I would say I have better pictures with Nikkor 300mm and 80-400mmm. I hope its my settings or techniques that caused issues with Sigma. I will bring to Sigma to do a calibration too in the near future.

after testing the tamron 150-600 last year and recently the nikon 200-500, i got the chance to test the sigma 150-600 sports... hehe... boy, this is one lovely lens i must say. all in all, my personal experience
- sharpest among the 3 that i have tested at the long end, wide open (yes, better than nikon 200-500 from my images)
- best AF as well, fast and confident in locking focus
- OS is great. able to shoot 1/100 @ 600mm handheld!
- a bit heavy to hand-hold while waiting...
- enough said i guess...

a few field shots with this lens

cheers & take care!
wk

Some birding photos taken by D7200 and 156S on hand held this morning.

22469243131_377ab47b3c_b.jpg
[/url]Scarlet Backed Flowerpecker by kondo83, on Flickr[/IMG]

22432320306_aafd1954fa_b.jpg
[/url]Scarlet Backed Flowerpecker1 by kondo83, on Flickr[/IMG]

21835643544_932e780b0e_b.jpg
[/url]Asian Glossy Starling1 by kondo83, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Are you sure they do not ship to Singapore? I bought from them end of 2013 through their evilbay store.

Why don't you go for lens covers by Rolan (China)? Much better in my opinion.

Hi daredevil123, can share the Rolan contact?

Hi daredevil123, can share the Rolan contact?

You can try Orient Photo. If all else fails, you can buy from taobao. Rmember cny madness just started, so all businesses have come to a complete standstill for the next 3 weeks.

Any feedback on the new firmware ?

For all Sigma long lens lovers. Good news from Brad Hill.

16 September 2016: Just Beyond Rumour: Sigma's New Flagship: The 500mm f4 DG OS HSM
I defer to Nikon Rumors in reporting...well...rumours! They simply do a better job at it than I do (and my focus is definitely elsewhere). But...today I received very solid information that could be of interest to a lot of wildlife photographers: Sigma is about to announce their new "flagship" Sports lens - a 500mm f4 prime lens. The lens will be announced at Photokina next week and will officially be called the Sigma 500mm f4 DG OS HSM.

Sigma is positioning the lens at the top of the heap and referring to the lens as the "flagship" of the Sports line. To many happy users of their "highly credible" 120-300mm f2.8 and the 150-600mm f5-6.3 (Sports model) zooms this will mean a lot in terms of confidence of the quality of the lens. And the specs on the lens do look very good. Here's a few of them:

• WEIGHT: 3310 gm (7.3 lb). This is only 220 gm (about 0.5 lb) heavier than Nikon's "new" 500mm f4E (fluorite) lens.
• LENGTH: 380.3mm (15"). This is very slightly shorter (7 mm) than Nikon's "new" 500mm f4E (fluorite) lens.
• COUNTRY OF CONSTRUCTION: Japan
• MATERIALS: Magnesium alloy barrel, carbon fiber hood, brass bayonet mount.
• OPTICS: 16 elements in 11 groups, including 2 FLD (presumably fluoride?) elements and one SLD element.
• NUMBER OF DIAPHRAGM BLADES: 9.
• ENVIRONMENTAL SEALING: Dust and Splash-proof construction.
• ELECTROMAGNETIC DIAPHRAGM: Yes (Nikon version only).
• OPTICAL STABILIZATION: 4-stops; 2 modes (mode 1 for general photography; mode 2 for panning).
• CUSTOMIZATION & FIRMWARE UPDATES: Via USB dock.
• OTHER: Tripod collar with 90 degree click stops (that can be turned off); optional teleconverters, mount converters, drop-in polarizer, and USB dock available.

Price? I have nothing firm yet, but I would expect it to be significantly lower than the equivalent Nikon or Canon lenses (my best guess...probably 40% below that of their Nikon or Canon counterparts).

It was apparent that at least Nikon noticed the introduction of Sigma's 150-600mm lenses (and appeared to respond with the introduction of the Nikkor 200-500 f5.6 VR zoom). Hopefully Sigma will continue to do good things...nothing like a little competition to keep the "big guys" just a little MORE honest, eh? ;-)

Cheers...

Brad

For all Sigma long lens lovers. Good news from Brad Hill.
16 September 2016: Just Beyond Rumour: Sigma's New Flagship: The 500mm f4 DG OS HSM

Thanks for the heads up! Am a very happy user of the Sigma 120-300 sports on both my 5D3 and 7D2 and am currently considering either getting the 150-600 sports or getting the TC-2001 for my 120-300 Sports to get more range.
But if the 500 f/4 is going to be up to the same standard as all the sports lens so far then I know what I am going to save up for. Hopefully it will not cost an organ :bsmilie: