Shuttle speed, ISO and aperture skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphonse

Feb 26, 2002
Telok Blangah Heights
Visit site
I know that shuttle speed is to let amount of light going into the digital camera.....example low light place need longer shuttle speed to take picture.

ISO is also helps when it can accept the amount of light going in...example ISO 400 can take better night shots and moving scene like running.

But how about aperture? i don't know how it use on photo....like f2.8 is for what kind of pics and f11 is for what kind of pics.

by the way any experience pple out there please help on my query and elaborate the points i said b4 on shuttle speed and ISO, or correct me if i mention wrongly. Thank you:heart:

;) I know that aperture is the size of hole, but how to use it on night shots or fast object? Moreover is it that the aperture size is the one that always use or main usage on micro-photo taking. :rbounce:

when shooting, with modern camera, one usually choose the setting of T/S (shutter priority) or A (aperture priority) nowadays. Why?

If you choose T/S, that means speed is critical for you. You want to have control over the shutter speed. This is especially true in the case of low light photography, where you don't want handshake results to blur photo. As rule of tumb, speed chosen should always higher than the focal length of the lens...then you should be fine.

If you choose A, that means you want to have control over depth of field. Larger aperture will result shallow DOF, and the background will be more out of focus (usually for portrait). Smaller aperture will give you more DOF, and this is usually being chosen when taking landscape photo.

Do remember that A and T/S are inter-related. When you choose T/S priority, changing the value will result the change of the A value too...vice versa.

In macro photography, DOF is important...thus usually one will use aperture priorty. From my experience, if you shoot macro over 1:2, your aperture should be at least f11 to give you satisfying DOF.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Alphonse
;) I know that aperture is the size of hole, but how to use it on night shots or fast object? Moreover is it that the aperture size is the one that always use or main usage on micro-photo taking. :rbounce:

If all things remain constant, is it right to say:

1. Small f value, big aperture, big hole, more light go in, vice versa

2. Big aperture, focus on the object, with background blur.

very new to photography, need advise/help.

Originally posted by tangcy

If all things remain constant, is it right to say:

1. Small f value, big aperture, big hole, more light go in, vice versa

2. Big aperture, focus on the object, with background blur.

very new to photography, need advise/help.

U r right.

Thanks for all the comments out there. I appreciate those comments that help a lot for my reference. Thank you. Anyone out there who wish to give more comments do welcome.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.