Should a New User still buy a Micro Four Thirds Camera?

Pitachu

Sep 18, 2019
The subject of this thread is Should a new user buy a Micro Four Thirds System?

The Sony 6xxx, A7, Canon R5 and M6 Mkii all have very capable, attractive and sexy bodies.
It did appeal to my friends especially those who are new photographers.

But for any user who took a look at how various photos are being taken, for example
Super Wide Angle Shots, Macros, Super Teles for Birding, Videos etc and they plan
their camera system as a complete system to be assembled and able to be carried
around for their planned trips, M43 is suddenly a very viable attractive proposal.

My planned kit at the time when I got my Olympus Em5 Mkiii are
1) Olympus 8-18 F2.8-4 (16-36mm)
2) PanaLeica 12-60 F2.8-4 (24-120mm equivalent)
3)Panasonic 45-200 F4.5-5.6 (90-400mm equivalent)
And together with the tiny flash that comes with the EM5, (for fill flash use) all this fit into my waist pouch!
for many of my family vacations and hiking trip, without being a hindrance.

Yes, you may get slightly better images with a Full Frame system, but
you will end up with a big backpack with a Full Frame body
1) a 16-35mm Lenses
2) a 24-120 Lenses
3) a 100-400 Lenses
4) a much larger flash than the LM3
Besides the weight, the bulk, it is also the total costs.

Full Frame systems are great because of a larger sensor, but all the corresponding lenses will be larger too.

But I also realized that even for a advanced user like me, it is difficult to push beyond the envelope limits
of a M43 system, especially my output are usually photobooks and social media. I don't print posters
as I have no space to display them.

swifty

Oct 12, 2004
davophoto.wordpress.com
I have no interests in the EOS-M system so all this is just an academic exercise to see what things different systems offer and how well they compare to one another.

It is helpful to assign a task when discussing camera equipment. As Pitachu mentions, you really wouldn’t choose an M6 II for wildlife and birding needs even if it has a suitable sensor because the lenses necessary usually dwarfs the camera body and in this role the larger grips are beneficial no matter the sensor size. A Canon 90D (which has the same sensor as the M6 II) is a much better option if you like DSLRs.

It’s actually pretty simple since wildlife photographers are a savvy bunch. You only need to look at what’s popular with them to see what are the most suitable gear, with equivalence already factored in. You never see the M6 II mentioned because not many will use it in that role.

An E-M1 mk II with the 300mm f/4 however is something many wildlife photographers use. As is the A7R4/A9 with the 200-600. As is the Nikon D850/Z7 with the 500mm FP or 200-500 f/5.6. I suspect the Canon R5 with 100-500L will be very popular with wildlife photographers.
They've done the homework already and these are the combo's that work in these roles. The Olympus combo might not let in the most light but the entire combo is also cheaper and smaller and does a very competent job.
If you want the smallest and cheapest way to get to 600mm f/11, frankly I don't know a combo that beats an E-M5 mk III + 100-300 II. It's not for the serious birder but it's smaller than anything else I've seen but happy to concede if there are better casual combos in other systems.

swifty

Oct 12, 2004
davophoto.wordpress.com
My off topic comment - one of my friends is looking for an adapter to fit Leica L mount lens (for SL2) onto a Canon R5 body (retaining AF capability) which he has paid for and awaiting delivery. So far Internet search has not found anything.
I think it might be practically impossible even if it theoretically fits.
Look at the table about mid way down:
Flange back distance for Leica L is 1mm less than RF so it has to sit inside the R mount by 1mm. Even though the R mount is bigger so theoretically the L lenses can sit inside the R mount, note the throat diameter (which takes into account the tabs for mounting the lens) of the R is 50.6mm, which is 0.4mm less than the diameter of the L mount lenses.
It would be easier to make adapters for Sony E and Nikon Z just because their flange back distance are less than the L mount. The Z mount is by far the most versatile mount for adapting lenses because of the combination of shortest flange back distance and largest mount diameter.

Blu-By-U

Aug 2, 2006
Selangor D.E.
Why lump the whole mft with olympus? and Olympus is selling. Not the whole MFT group. I will still recommend Olympus and other MFT cameras to my friends. There is no mention that the whole consortium is going to be disbanded. AND if they are, that would mean that the rights will be open and free for the takings. There may end up with more tom, dick and harry companies manufacturing mft stuff.

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
I think it might be practically impossible even if it theoretically fits.
Look at the table about mid way down:
Thanks for the info. No wonder the China manufacturers have not advertised any such adapter.
If it was possible, they would have made one for sale by now.

JW73

Dec 6, 2003
Singapore
www.pbase.com
There are many capable systems out there to choose from nowadays . If one is concerned with the resale value of M43 because of the negative news recently, i would not recommend M43. But if one is looking for certain advantages & uniqueness of m43 and do not mind the bleak future of m43. There are many good lenses to choose from that can give the photographer room to be creative. If a friend is taking up photography & ask my opinion, m43 will not be my first choice to him/her.

Last edited: