short trip oversea with camera *tips*

CasualBear

May 4, 2013
singapore
Hi all,
Going over to Bkk on a Wkend trip, just gonna bring a d5200 + 18-270mm along.
Here my plan to Take care of the equipment. Ziploc bag + a camera body sleeve. Chuck into my day bag when not out. Everything in hand carry on plane.

Any great ideas or tips to protect or Take care of the camera n lens?
pls share.

Additional info. Personal travel insurance already bought for the year, covers inclusive up to 2k
I always carry a rain jacket but no umbrella.

Any other ideas on maintenance on the equipment while on trip would be nice too. Would love to hear ideas n thoughts on those who travel frequent too.

Ps. Forum trolls looking to seeking attention and throw one liners, your comments are more welcome else where.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Here my plan to Take care of the equipment. Ziploc bag + a camera body sleeve. Chuck into my day bag when not out. Everything in hand carry on plane.

pls share.

Additional info. Personal travel insurance already bought for the year, covers inclusive up to 2k

Yeah. Be less paranoid.

Yeah. Be less paranoid.

yeap. just use it as per normal.

of course use commonsense also. eg don't go into a dark alley at night etc etc.

oh come on...

First.. Your camera is not made of tofu.
Second. Yea i understand your dear d5200 + 18-270mm is not cheap..

However..really..dont think too much and Just be normal..go ahead and enjoy your holiday..take picture as and when you need to.. However do practice common sense and be street smart..
Alittle dust/dirt or rain water on the camera or lens will not make it malfunction or less pretty. :)

important = waterproof bag
hand carry = correct
one body & one lens = correct
you might also want to bring along a set of lens cleaning kit (travel-pack?)

Hi all,

pls share.

Haha. You can do anything you want. I do nothing.

You may want to consider buying a camera bag insert for your travel bag like one in the link below:

Create your own camera bag. | She Wears Many Hats

Thought about it.. But find the fix shape of the insert Abit too bulky n not space efficient.

But great idea if more lens to be brought about in the day bag.. Thanks for the feedback

Really? How is Bangkok's weather different from Singapore's that special care is needed for the camera? Just shoot la. You should be more aware of snatch thief instead.

Last edited:
important = waterproof bag
hand carry = correct
one body & one lens = correct
you might also want to bring along a set of lens cleaning kit (travel-pack?)

Oh Yar. Didn't think about cleaning.. was hoping I wouldn't Need to do cleaning if I'm careful.
But since you mentioned, you want to share what cleaning kit would u prepare? I have seen those small pack kits with a small blower, cotton buds, lens tissue and a mini pen brush.
I have read an article on pro photographer went to the extend of taping the body and bringing gas canisters to spray clean air. The dude was all prepared for a color run in San Francisco.

Just want to hear everyone's thoughts extensive maintenance works overseas trip too if possible.

When traveling abroad, you can always tell which tourists are Singaporean through simple observation. When at a beautiful spot:

Non-SG tourists:
- take a picture and enjoy the view.

SG tourists:
- put down their big bag
- take out 2 ziplock bags
- remove lens and camera body from bags
- use a blower to clean the lens and camera body. This takes 5-10 minutes.
- assemble the camera, complaining all the time that they should have brought a different lens
- take 20 pictures, complaining their pictures are not nice because their dslr is not "pro enough"
- spend the next 10 minutes disassembling the dslr and carefully packing it up again
- complain that everyone else already moved on

Oh Yar. Didn't think about cleaning.. was hoping I wouldn't Need to do cleaning if I'm careful.
But since you mentioned, you want to share what cleaning kit would u prepare? I have seen those small pack kits with a small blower, cotton buds, lens tissue and a mini pen brush.
I have read an article on pro photographer went to the extend of taping the body and bringing gas canisters to spray clean air. The dude was all prepared for a color run in San Francisco.

Just want to hear everyone's thoughts extensive maintenance works overseas trip too if possible.

You will realize the ones advocating the tofu treatment with ziploc bags, etc, are all newbies.

The dude was all prepared for a color run in San Francisco.

You're gonna compare simple travel to Bangkok with deliberately shooting a Holi festival?

*facepalm*

Really? How is Bangkok's weather different from Singapore's that special care is needed for the camera? Just shoot la. You should be more aware of snatch thief instead.

Locally I bring a cam bag. this trip, I'm only going to carry a day bag to walk ard and the camera is most likely hanging on the neck.
N thanks for the reminder on the snatchers

Enjoy the trip. Be vigilant though, don't worry about your camera and lens. If you've got a lens hood, slap it on, or a UV lens filter, or both if you're really paranoid. Just remember to remove the filter if you're taking any night shots. :)

You're gonna compare simple travel to Bangkok with deliberately shooting a Holi festival?

*facepalm*

I'm sincerely asking for great ideas and sensible comments here.

If u want to Nick pick and not look at the entire post I made, I have Nothing else to say.
1. If u have Nothing to contribute,
just stay away.
2. I wasn't comparing an holiday, there an event that has evolved to be like a festival. U should travel more. I was merely stating there are professional who do prepare to get dirty; and in the same concept, look for ideas useful on travels.

Enjoy the trip. Be vigilant though, don't worry about your camera and lens. If you've got a lens hood, slap it on, or a UV lens filter, or both if you're really paranoid. Just remember to remove the filter if you're taking any night shots. :)

Haha, thanks.
Forgot abt the bloody filter too. I have a cpl on. Guess I have to switch to a uv filter when I pack.

I'm sincerely asking for great ideas and sensible comments here.

If u want to Nick pick and not look at the entire post I made, I have Nothing else to say.
1. If u have Nothing to contribute,
just stay away.
2. I wasn't comparing an holiday, there an event that has evolved to be like a festival. U should travel more. I was merely stating there are professional who do prepare to get dirty; and in the same concept, look for ideas useful on travels.

1. You are aware that your question pops up about 20 times a year, and that CS rules state you should search before posting, right?
2. Oh, I travel a lot. And I can tell you that professionals preparing to shoot Holi prepare for that one festival, and it has zero to do with a tourist trip to Bangkok.

The "great ideas" you are looking for are all nonsensical hassles. People with actual travel experience are telling you not to be paranoid and just enjoy your trip. You, however, are too stubborn to listen to experience and obviously prefer listening to fellow kiasi, inexperienced travelers who treat a camera like tofu.

Don't worry so much about your gear. spend more time composing and making nice photos.
Have a safe and happy trip.

Your camera and mine, though precious in our sight, are really more durable than we give them credit for (especially the near-immortal canon 7D).
Don't forget to bring your battery charger or else you will have really nicely protected camera which has got no juice to take photos with.

Haha, thanks.
Forgot abt the bloody filter too. I have a cpl on. Guess I have to switch to a uv filter when I pack.

Why do you keep a cpl on...?