shooting vertical with an external flash

please stop using the term "shoot vertical" if you're intending to describe shooting in portrait orientation. It's really confusing.
I don't know whether you really mean vertical (as in the lens is pointed vertically toward the ground or sky) or not.

45 degrees in what orientation?
An angle (eg. 45 degrees) means nothing without a frame of reference, an axis about which the angle is described.
what vertical and what 45 degrees? super confusing right? :bsmilie:

My guess is pokiemon was saying TS is shooting in landscape orientation with flash head titled at 45 degrees, but asking how to adjust the flash head when shooting in portrait orientation?

the question is how do u do a 45 degrees if you were shooting vertical?????

what vertical and what 45 degrees? super confusing right? :bsmilie:

My guess is pokiemon was saying TS is shooting in landscape orientation with flash head titled at 45 degrees, but asking how to adjust the flash head when shooting in portrait orientation?
45 degrees is confusing as well.

For example, the camera is in portrait orientation, with the hotshoe-mounted flash to the left of the lens.

If the flash is angled in-between fully-forward and left, that's 45 degrees.
If the flash is angled in-between fully-backward and left, that's 45 degrees as well.
If the flash is angled in-between fully-horizontal and fully-vertical (upright), that's 45 degrees as well.
If the flash is angled in-between fully-horizontal and fully-vertical (downwards), that's 45 degrees as well.

so pokiemon... which is it?

Doesn't matter vertical or 45 degree or watever. The important question is - WHERE do you want the flash to bounce FROM? Point your flash head in that direction. If your flash head has swivel limitation then too bad, use bounce card or something.

Last edited:
please stop using the term "shoot vertical" if you're intending to describe shooting in portrait orientation. It's really confusing.
I don't know whether you really mean vertical (as in the lens is pointed vertically toward the ground or sky) or not.

45 degrees in what orientation?
An angle (eg. 45 degrees) means nothing without a frame of reference, an axis about which the angle is described.

This is what we lay people call engineer's talk! hehehehe.

To solve his problem, use a corded TTL flash so that flash is off-camera, he can tilt the flash in any angle he wants. So right hand holding on to the camera, left hand lifting and tilting the flash. Like shown in option 2 below.
offcamera.jpg

Picture taken from this website.

Problem solved.

then use third hand to zoom? :)
hehehehe....

flash cord + handheld is the simplest solution, but not without its flaws.

hehehehe....

Flash cord with flash bracket will do the trick lor... :)

You can find the bracket for your flash here ;)

When getting the flash bracket, don't forget to get the Off Camera TTL Flash Cord.

Cheers!

hehehehe....

Flash cord with flash bracket will do the trick lor... :)

Exactly what I had suggested earlier. Then third hand can be used to
scratch any part of his body that itches ... HEHEHEHE! ;) ;) Hope TS
doesn't itch much! LOL!

Last edited: