Shooting techique- ND4

Status
Not open for further replies.

artemis79

Jan 2, 2009
Hi,

i still trying out my lens, so there are some tips i like to give if its correct.

I being taking my photo in the sun, and found that most of my photo has area that is over exposure due to sun light. initially, i try to pp my picture to remove the overexposure but to do it every photo is kind of tiring. Then i try on filter to improve my picture and discover that ND4 which reduce the light coming into my camera(layman language) and found that my picture is not overexposure anymore.

so some article in this forum say the decrease the shutter will improve the image quality, i try on sunny weather also on 0.3" to 1/15 and found my picture plain white with no image(assume too light coming into my camera)

So i recommend that use ND4 filter when shooting in sunny weather. 3-5pm, reduce overexposure and can decrease the shutter time.

posting this coz i feel there are not much article on shooting technique.i have bought some photo magazine from popular and still found them unuseful.

linking an picture example later

Are you sure you had your settings on your camera set correctly? 0.3" to 1/15 seems too long for a sunny day unless you open it to f22? But i doubt f22 might give you such a low shutter spd. It would be best to post a pic here for us to see. With the EXIF intact.

so some article in this forum say the decrease the shutter will improve the image quality

basically slow shutter speed, small aperture (lager F number) and lower ISO will link to better image -- color saturation/depth/layer...., but first of all you need make sure the exposure is right, whatever what kind of filter you add. the right exposure is one of the most important factor for photo take --even when you want to achieve some special effect but under/over exposure.....
so F S ISO WB need to be set together for the purpose.

you need to understand the basic photography, consider read this article first,

Photography Notes For Newbies

and go to National Library, pick up a basic photography and read, to have a better understand about EXPOSURE, the best book to consider is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

U cannot salvage the data once u blown ur highlights

Then i try on filter to improve my picture and discover that ND4 which reduce the light coming into my camera(layman language) and found that my picture is not overexposure anymore.

So i recommend that use ND4 filter when shooting in sunny weather. 3-5pm, reduce overexposure and can decrease the shutter time.

U can use a higher shutter speed / smaller aperture / lower ISO to reduce the exposure actually. Do u really need the ND filter ?

Here are some situations I thought u might need ur ND filter -

- u intend to keep a large aperture in very bright situations where the shutter speed is already fastest and u still will get overexposure

- u intend to use a longer shutter speed for motion blurs etc in a bright situation where u r already at a reasonably small aperture and u still will get overexposure

Perhaps u can post an example with the exif data for review

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.