Shoot from DSLR and view from PC - shooting tethered

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI

I am wondering if I can shoot from my D70s and transfer the imgage directly to my CPU using the usb. View the image live on the computer screen.

Is it possible? How can it be done?

Thanks.

I think its possible using full version of capture nx.. however not sure what setting or cable to use. try the user manual.

Thanks,
Manish

can can... the setting... hmmm read the manual... but i am very sure can cos i have played with it before:)

HI

I am wondering if I can shoot from my D70s and transfer the imgage directly to my CPU using the usb. View the image live on the computer screen.

Is it possible? How can it be done?

Thanks.

You can't view it 'Live' because you will be viewing an image that was captured a few seconds before.

That being said, what you need to do this is a Nikon software called 'Camera Control Pro' (the latest version) or the previous version called 'Capture 4 Camera Control'. You can download trial versions from here: Nikon Software Download

There are 3rd party applications available but I haven't used them.

_

I think its possible using full version of capture nx.. however not sure what setting or cable to use. try the user manual.

Thanks,
Manish

:nono: :nono:

Capture NX does not have this feature, you need to get a separate application called 'Camera Control Pro'. Capture 4 on the other hand does have this function in 'Capture 4 Camera control'.

_

Yes it can be done.

I have tried it with nikon capture control.

But it drains the camera battery.

View the image live on the computer screen
You can see the image taken but not live preview.

Thanks,
Manish

That was the feature of the old Nikon Capture 4, which Camera Control was bundled.

Now it has upgraded to Nikon Capture NX, and camera control is to be used on a different software called Camera Control Pro.

Have used and tried the Camera Control Pro software, quite easy and fun to use. Tried on a D200 with USB cable, transfer from camera to PC is almost instant. :)

That was the feature of the old Nikon Capture 4, which Camera Control was bundled.

Now it has upgraded to Nikon Capture NX, and camera control is to be used on a different software called Camera Control Pro.

Have used and tried the Camera Control Pro software, quite easy and fun to use. Tried on a D200 with USB cable, transfer from camera to PC is almost instant. :)

Thanks all!

:D

Ahhh! but the TS is using a D70s. :think:

Image transfer from the D70/D70s is painfully slow if you are shooting in RAW. Unless your subject is a flower or a lifeless object, it is going to get restless and you will feel :bheart: when your $$$ flies if you are paying your model by the hour... :bsmilie:

_

:nono: :nono:

Capture NX does not have this feature, you need to get a separate application called 'Camera Control Pro'. Capture 4 on the other hand does have this function in 'Capture 4 Camera control'.

_
thanks mate.

Ahhh! but the TS is using a D70s. :think:

Image transfer from the D70/D70s is painfully slow if you are shooting in RAW. Unless your subject is a flower or a lifeless object, it is going to get restless and you will feel :bheart: when your $$$ flies if you are paying your model by the hour... :bsmilie:

_

Ah..... D70s, Nikon Capture 4's Camera Control might be able to support it.

The slow speed is due to the USB 1.0/1.1 of D70/70s?

Do images get buffered in the camera so that you can continue shooting while the images are being transferred? Must you wait for the image to be transfer before shooting the next frame?

BC

Do images get buffered in the camera so that you can continue shooting while the images are being transferred? Must you wait for the image to be transfer before shooting the next frame?

BC

Probably buffered, I don't see/feel any delay when shooting, and shooting continously (though not at a very fast speed like 5-8fps).

how much is a copy of camera control pro ?

How come Nikon software all need to buy one?? Canon provide them free when you buy their DSLR.:dunno:

There is are free softwares that comes with Nikon DSLR like Picture Project and Nikon View. Those softwares that you buy are more advanced. If you have tried software like Capture NX and Nikon Capture, you will know. No point bundle in advance software and up the cost, when some users don't need it or have other advance software to do the job.

BTW, what is Canon's version of software to control the DSLR from the PC or Mac?

BC

There is are free softwares that comes with Nikon DSLR like Picture Project and Nikon View. Those softwares that you buy are more advanced. If you have tried software like Capture NX and Nikon Capture, you will know. No point bundle in advance software and up the cost, when some users don't need it or have other advance software to do the job.

BTW, what is Canon's version of software to control the DSLR from the PC or Mac?

BC

Bingo :)

Ah..... D70s, Nikon Capture 4's Camera Control might be able to support it.

The slow speed is due to the USB 1.0/1.1 of D70/70s?

The cameras supported are:
D2 series, D1 series, D200, D100, D70 series, D50.

Have been shooting tethered the the D2x and D200 using the Capture Pro the last few days and it works almost perfectly.

The downloading speed for RAW is not fast at all (painfully slow). I would prefer at least the pro grade of cameras to have the firewire rather than usb (just like the D1 series). You can get a standard 5m firewire anywhere in Sim Lim whereas the longest usb(5pin camera side) is 2m, I find it is too short for tethered shooting. The way around is to get a 4m usb extension cable which I did, not sure it affects the download speed.

But the NX Capture Pro is stable and able to handle continuous shooting as long as there is buffer. It did not hang throughout the whole shoot (unlike the previous Capture Camera Control)

Overall it does deliver and I am satisfied with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.