Shipwrecked chinese coins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

markteo

May 5, 2005
hi i'm new here. i dunno if this is the correct section for this topic.

anyways, i just bought some ancient chinese copper coins (Song dynasty, circa 1100 AD - 1200 AD), which were salvaged from a shipwreck in indonesia waters, from a coin shop in bras basah complex. I'm a coin n antiques n banknote collector

here's the pics. anyway my collections' gallery is @ http://www.zeno.ru/showgallery.php?cat=all&ppuser=384

4uuydv

4uuyrq

4uv02u

Hey,
welcome :)
For me, i only collect one dollars note :) i got about 70 old singapore $1 notes :bsmilie:
Anyway for these coins, any way to clean them up or this is the conditions that you all like to keep at?(no knowledge to coins collections at all :dunno: )

i also collect s'pore banknotes. which $1 r u reffering to? the orchid, bird or ship series one?

anyway, such chinese coins r usually excavated from the ground or sea, n therefore covered with dirt n patina (copper-rust). one way to clean them is to soak them in vinegar n scrub with steel wool

orchid one i have 2. Bird one i have 3-5, ship one i have abt 60 over :)
also i have the old $1 coins the fish series i think. The coin that is very big.

So you do clean the coins and not keep them in this conditions.

instead of using scrubbing try soaking them in Coca-cola overnight...

that will remove tarnishing... follow up with some light scrubbing after that... steel wool is kinda rough isn't it? :O

CLQ said:
orchid one i have 2. Bird one i have 3-5, ship one i have abt 60 over :)
also i have the old $1 coins the fish series i think. The coin that is very big.

So you do clean the coins and not keep them in this conditions.

i prefer to have the coins in this condition, as i want the original untouched look. futuremore, cleaning all of them with vinegar requires lots of vinegars n time n effort. but sometimes i just soak a few in vinegar to see the b4 n after effects

Cleaning them will only spoilt the value of those coins...pls leave it as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.