Shifty Viewfinder when i am using my 24-105MM L lens

ctxx83

Nov 29, 2010
Hi all Csers! i just bought my 24-105MM L lens today and use it at the Air force open house. Was glad with the sharpness of this lens! However i notice something strange.
Whenever i half click the snap button( the camera/lens will AF) then immediately when i let go of the button and shift my camera to the side, the viewfinder will shift towards that direction as well and suddenly stop. I suspect its the IS. when i turn off the IS, the problem cease.
Does anyone has this problem as well? I am using a 60D with a UZ model 24-105 lens. I bought the lens from DD electronic and notice the box of the lens was in a bad condition and there's some white substance on the weather sealing rubber of the lens.
Could it be that i'm paranoid lol! Thank you bro and sis for clarifying my problem

it is normal for the IS system except for the later generation

I never encounterd this on my IS lenses. Suggest u send to DDE for check up

Hi all Csers! i just bought my 24-105MM L lens today and use it at the Air force open house. Was glad with the sharpness of this lens! However i notice something strange.
Whenever i half click the snap button( the camera/lens will AF) then immediately when i let go of the button and shift my camera to the side, the viewfinder will shift towards that direction as well and suddenly stop. I suspect its the IS. when i turn off the IS, the problem cease.
Does anyone has this problem as well? I am using a 60D with a UZ model 24-105 lens. I bought the lens from DD electronic and notice the box of the lens was in a bad condition and there's some white substance on the weather sealing rubber of the lens.
Could it be that i'm paranoid lol! Thank you bro and sis for clarifying my problem

Usually a shifty viewfinder indicates that a lens barrel holding that particular lens element is loose.

This happens more on the tele end than the 24mm end right? I think there’s always a shift if your handhold technique isn’t firm at that moment IS disengages. Just that at the tele-end it’s more pronounced than at the 24 end. Having used a number of 70-200 IS, all of them have slight shifts when the IS gyro disengages that is especially prominent at the tele end.

However white marks might be a sign that the lens has seen previous use as I understand, as the rubber on L lens gets white residue, due to human sweat.

I also think this is due to the IS... I also have this with my 24-105, but it only happens like once is a few hundreds shot so i don't really notice mind it.

hmmm.. send in for inspection?