Sharing umbrellas with strangers

kei1309 said:
i always share umbrellas with pretty girls

Sharing 'raincoats' is better

Who say one? 黄飞鸿 always carry umbrella.

you sure??? he was carrying an weapon.

later will share why REAL MAN DUN CARRY UMBRELLA story.

Standby small umbrella in pocket waiting and wanting to strike a conversation on the road during thunder storm.

IIRC philanthropist Tan Kah Kee met his future successor and son-in-law Lee Kong Chian after sharing an umbrella.

larlarloo said:
I normally don't carry umbrella when I go out. But there have been (I think) once or twice that I ended in (somewhat) embarrassment... I tried offering to the nearest person beside me before I opened the umbrella. I was looked upon in shock and was like "no no, don't want" with hands shaking n giving me that scared-look :O

I'd sometimes try to strike a conversation with strangers when I feel like it (be it guy or gal) and mostly I got negative responses with frowns and thinking "this guy siao ah?" :O

Once bitten twice shy... my experiences haven't been good

What you have experienced is what I term 'city dweller syndrome'.

Compared to suburbs and country side living, city life is fast paced. Most people go about their own business and shut out their surroundings. With time we become less trusting of strangers as they are unknowns.

Having someone intrude suddenly with an offer of help or even a simple question raises guards very quickly and the natural response is to take a safe position by saying no without fully sizing up the situation.

Travel to any outlying towns or villages and you find a very different set of people.

What you have experienced is what I term 'city dweller syndrome'.

Compared to suburbs and country side living, city life is fast paced. Most people go about their own business and shut out their surroundings. With time we become less trusting of strangers as they are unknowns.

Having someone intrude suddenly with an offer of help or even a simple question raises guards very quickly and the natural response is to take a safe position by saying no without fully sizing up the situation.

Travel to any outlying towns or villages and you find a very different set of people.

as creepy as it may sound, most of the time i don't even ask, i just stand near the person and start sheltering him, and when the person notices, just smile. they are always grateful so far. (i also evaluate which unsheltered person needs it more, top priority being the elderly)

of course it's probably very different if it's a lady. then need to make sure u dun have a tiko face.

Sion said:
A real man will open a condom and blow it up to cover himself from rain. :bsmilie:

That's product abuse. Will not be covered by warranty.

Use it as its designed.....share with pretty xmm....kei don't qualify ;-)

I dun share my umbrella with strangers because I dun like standing too close or sharing my personal space with strangers.

Anw wif singapore's rainy weather, if a stranger thinks it is unneccesary to carry an umbrella outdoors, then its his own choice and he should be prepared to get wet or stuck under a shelter when it rains.

Went to collect some thing after night shift on monday morning. As sunday night is raining, I got my umbrella (this word, been learning to spell as I hardly use, haha!) with me. Went to collection area and have my breakfast, as was having, I saw a woman without umbrella. Oh yes, my chance to know a woman, heh heh! Out of sudden, another guy also stand there. Alamak! how!? He also no umbrella. In the end, I also just go ahead without asking either of them. Unless there isn't anyone or area is remoted, I will help else forget it. Wait that woman think I want to "molest" her as got another man without umbrella too. haha!

If I was the other guy without umbrella and you offered me to share the umbrella instead of the lady, I'd be scared :bsmilie::bsmilie:

would you open up your umbrella, assuming it is drizzling and you only need to cover about 100m? and of course the umbrella is those foldable ones which you keep in your bag?

Of course share.
But don't insist if the other party declines for whatever reason.