Share some MF photos ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, maybe next weekend, need to try some stuff and waiting for some 120 portrait film to arrive and use, Fuji Astia and Kodak 160 NC.

BTW, saw your posts above. Regarding colour film, although I guess you are aware by now, they all have different types of "colorations", which actually give them character unique to film, plus one has to factor in the way it is scanned as well by labs or consumers.

Some guides (just guides), although many of the films are no longer made:

http://www.clubsnap.com/display.php?file=articles/flims/slides.htm

http://www.clubsnap.com/display.php?file=articles/flims/negatives.htm

astia and 160nc? wow. u must be ordering from overseas. mind sharing your source?

eBay, just search. Hunt's Photo for 160NC, unexpired, and a UK company for Astia. You'll find these once in a while. Megaperls in Japan seemed to have ran out of Astia. I'm just keeping some, but later will just use whatever is available here, cheaper. For color portraits, I like Provia 400x, 100F, even Reala for some character, or Pro 400H, 160H(?). I am also trying 800Z ...

astia and 160nc? wow. u must be ordering from overseas. mind sharing your source?

eBay, just search. Hunt's Photo for 160NC, unexpired, and a UK company for Astia. You'll find these once in a while. Megaperls in Japan seemed to have ran out of Astia. I'm just keeping some, but later will just use whatever is available here, cheaper. For color portraits, I like Provia 400x, 100F, even Reala for some character, or Pro 400H, 160H(?). I am also trying 800Z ...

i hope u buy enough to stock up for awhile. i wonder why no one brings in the 160NC and 400NC. Astia 120 is extinct already right?

i have not really shot models with color film yet. gonna try it this weekend with reala, 160vc and E100.

i hope u buy enough to stock up for awhile. i wonder why no one brings in the 160NC and 400NC. Astia 120 is extinct already right?

i have not really shot models with color film yet. gonna try it this weekend with reala, 160vc and E100.

i stocking up almost a hundred roll of provia from him liao. at $7.6 per roll. :)

fuji reala. realised i can't shoot with iso 100 film for street photography. back to B&W for me! btw i set the film speed at 50 when i used this film, following advice from some flickr users.

2567834722_662259ba3d_o.jpg

When you buy in bulk overseas, it can be cheaper than here :).

Anyway, glad to see you enjoying MF ... you should also try getting your favorite B&W shots printed, traditionally, and B&W prints are beautiful. I heard Rice Ball doesn't do it anymore, so Ruby or Konota should still be doing it ...

100? is there a need? provia not hard to get right? :sweat:

When you buy in bulk overseas, it can be cheaper than here :).

Anyway, glad to see you enjoying MF ... you should also try getting your favorite B&W shots printed, traditionally, and B&W prints are beautiful. I heard Rice Ball doesn't do it anymore, so Ruby or Konota should still be doing it ...

haha. 100? omg. my wife will kill me. she already frowning at the stuff i keeping in the veg drawer. lol.

i realise my b&w stuff are not as black as i like them. i would think part of it is because i dun use a red filter. am i right?

i realise my b&w stuff are not as black as i like them. i would think part of it is because i dun use a red filter. am i right?

No, not really, in a way, vague answer :)... and when you print it traditionally, the blacks are much better than the digital scan. Get it printed traditionally, preferably with contact prints (sample, try Ruby), and then see how black you want it, and tell them. There is more to it than that, but that is a simple way.

Digital scan ? Well, you can increase contrast, or adjust levels, Multiply layer, etc.

B&W is a broad term, but B&W photography is basically "the making of a photographic image recorded in neutral tones of gray ranging from near white to near black." - from the book The Negative by Ansel Adams

Long answer, so better read it :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monochrome_Photography

No, not really, in a way, vague answer :)... and when you print it traditionally, the blacks are much better than the digital scan. Get it printed traditionally, preferably with contact prints (sample, try Ruby), and then see how black you want it, and tell them. There is more to it than that, but that is a simple way.

Digital scan ? Well, you can increase contrast, or adjust levels, Multiply layer, etc.

B&W is a broad term, but B&W photography is basically "the making of a photographic image recorded in neutral tones of gray ranging from near white to near black." - from the book The Negative by Ansel Adams

Long answer, so better read it :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monochrome_Photography

thanks for the info, cg. currently havent shot anything that i like to see printed yet. still very much affected by the mirror slap on the camera. short of using a tripod, i am not sure how to reduce that without a mirror lockup.

i am trying to refrain from meddling with the scanned picture to get the natural feel of the film.

Well, that's fine. You can already see the difference of B&W film, lots of tones ...

thanks for the info, cg. currently havent shot anything that i like to see printed yet. still very much affected by the mirror slap on the camera. short of using a tripod, i am not sure how to reduce that without a mirror lockup.

i am trying to refrain from meddling with the scanned picture to get the natural feel of the film.

Iris-Reala.jpg

Seagull WWSC 120 4A-107
Fujicolor Reala

I really like the colour, especially the skin tone.

Sometimes I wonder, why on earth THAT digital camera that cost so much have so many issues with white balance and yet this made in China $300+ TLR with a Reala can produce such amazing natural skin tone. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.