Setup for Singapore F1 GP night race

yerfoeg

Mar 17, 2009
Anyone who have used their Alpha for the F1 race previously. What was your setup?
Will it be hard to take pictures with a lower end model?

The Alpha users had a great time in the last 2 F1s.

Depending on where you are standing or sitting. A long lens reach would be important. A minimum reach of 200mm on an APS-C sensor cam would be sufficient, of course if longer the better. With ISO of 400 or 800, you should be able to get some decent shots.

Doesn't matter which cam you use. A well beaten KM5D with a 20 over years old beercan in the hand of a good photographer will still produce beautiful pictures.

Camera doesn't matter; the old Minolta 70-210 f/4 beercan works well.

How bout aperture size? Can F5.6 make it?

How bout aperture size? Can F5.6 make it?

Can... I usually shot at ISO 400. The most important thing is to pre-focus and learn how to pan. Don't be afraid of using burst mode and making mistakes, you have loads and loads of laps to try again. ;)

Ideally, depending on the location/lighting, you should get about 1/125s or so shutter speed. I'll dig through my pics from last year and try to post the shot and details.

Spent 99% of my time along pit lane over the weekend, from the afternoon to just before the F1 start their night practices / qualifying / race.

Along pitlane, anything goes. Varied between my CZ24-70, SAL18-250 & CZ85. Once F1 started, i pretty much put the camera away...

Feel free to check out my '09 F1 piccies at http://douglasong.zenfolio.com/p489389592

For 2010...might do a day with the 70-400G...

Thanks for your replies guys. So it would be better to carry along a long lens for this occassion. It will be my first time to try to capture pics of those cars.

for pics of the cars racing around the track, you are almost always going to be behind fences, unless you can find good spots that give you a fence-free view..

the thing about the fences is that they do show up either as lines or bands on your photos, so rule of the thumb is, the nearer you can get to the fence, the bigger your aperture, the longer your lens, the less visible they will show up.

Hope it helps~ =)

Thanks for this helpful tip!

for pics of the cars racing around the track, you are almost always going to be behind fences, unless you can find good spots that give you a fence-free view..

the thing about the fences is that they do show up either as lines or bands on your photos, so rule of the thumb is, the nearer you can get to the fence, the bigger your aperture, the longer your lens, the less visible they will show up.

Hope it helps~ =)

Can... I usually shot at ISO 400. The most important thing is to pre-focus and learn how to pan. Don't be afraid of using burst mode and making mistakes, you have loads and loads of laps to try again. ;)

Ideally, depending on the location/lighting, you should get about 1/125s or so shutter speed. I'll dig through my pics from last year and try to post the shot and details.

Thanks in advance! My zoom lens is 100 - 300mm F5.6 - F7.1. Therefore not sure if it can make it anot

Hi yerfoeg.. Last yr is my first time taking f1 using my A200 70-200 2.8f and quite happy with my first try although can't compare to the pros here... This yr will try again using the same setup... Just keep shooting and practise... Soon u will get the hang of it.

Anyone who have used their Alpha for the F1 race previously. What was your setup?

Don't get too caught up with the idea that we must use long lens for car race. Sometimes, using a wide-angle lens can also achieve nice picture.

based from previous experience, u can try using monopod with 70-200G SSM f2.8 or 70-300G, the race track is very bright, so no issue. No need flash. Body wise is all about the same.