Settings for a Nikon D7000 for corals and fish shots in a reef aquarium

maxwells

May 11, 2014
UK
Hi
I am a complete newbie to dslr photography and have the following equipment - D7000 , NIKKOR 18-200mm AF-SGII ED lens and a nikon 35mm 1.8f prime lens.I am interested in taking shots of corals and fish in my reef tank under led lighting (full spectrum )and under blues at night. I am considering what macro lens to get either the new tamron 90mm usd lens or the raynox DCR5320PRO kit what do you think will be the best option or the easiest to use .Also the main question would be as being a complete novice what camera settings should i use for both full tank shots and macro shots, any advise will be appreciated.

thanks Bill

There is no specific setting for aquatic photography. Pretty much depending on the lighting. Typically you need to shoot with higher speed (say 1/125 and above) and higher f stop due to moving subject and DOF.

Macro lens is a better option. You need stronger lighting to get decent result. Unless you intend to hook up metal-halide lighting, getting extra sets of remote trigger flash system will be a better option.

Also the main question would be as being a complete novice what camera settings should i use for both full tank shots and macro shots, any advise will be appreciated.

Hi Bill,
This is a very broad question.
You have a digital camera, so initially I'd suggest to just stick it in Aperture priority mode and then just shoot. Pick any lens you currently have and shoot what you want to shoot.
If you're not happy, delete the images and try other settings. As a novice that's a practical solution to learning about your camera.

The reason it's a very broad question is because different settings achieve different results.
For example a small aperture (larger number) will give you more sharpness front to back within your image. Whereas a large aperture (smaller number) will give you a more blurry/unsharp background, while your subject remains sharp (hopefully).

A small aperture also requires more light, so you have a choice of increasing the light, or increasing the ISO.
Whereas a large aperture lets in more light.

If you're looking to create a photo that has a "normal" exposure, you (or the camera) generally need to adjust Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO.
All of them work in unison to create your image. In Manual Mode you have the ability to adjust each individually.
Whereas in A mode, you choose the Aperture, and the camera does the speed/ISO.
In S mode, you pick the shutter speed, and the camera does the aperture/ISO.
In M mode you're in full control.

I can't comment on the lenses, but that was a general answer. Just experiment, ditch the bad shots, learn from the good.

In google, key in the search a you get pages.
Anyway thanks for the post, at least I learn something about shooting aquaria:

"aquarium photography tips"