Setting

Dark Matter

Jul 22, 2008
How many nikon owner here set EV+0.7 here as default due to metering gray scale is 12% grey and not generally 18% grey.

How many nikon owner here set EV+0.7 here as default due to metering gray scale is 12% grey and not generally 18% grey.

I move my EV all over the place, depending on the conditions and what I want out of my shots.

I set to negative for flash shooting. And leave it on normal when used for anything else, I prefer a slightly under picture than an over-exposed one.

So does this mean everytime I meter with my 18% grey card. My picture is actually -0.7 underexpose?

But first, I need to get a grey card :sweat:

Is it true for all nikons? I thot it was only the old d70:bsmilie:
Anyone verified? nv used a grey card, keep dialing EV as deem fit...

oh, boy.. does it really matter...!

I just compensate the expoure as I deem fit. Never seem to have noticed any issues.

agreed on what most have said, just compensate for the EV. that's the advantage of using digital, u get the results instantly on the LCD screen and can adjust on the spot and shoot again. unlike the days of film. ;)

i never had to increase EV except for the D5000 which i had.

no big deal.

I usually set my D60 to -0.3 to -0.7EV, but as many had said the actualy EV compensations are all over the place. Darker scenes I use minus and brighter scenes I plus.

This EV compensation issue I saw from other post. I though it is critical. But since most user just compensate depending on condition (as of what I do), I think I can let it go. Because initially I dont know that Nikon metering is 12% grey instead of 18%. And I dont know it applied to which model too. So just ask around how the majority of Nikon user duel with it.