Service center issue: Screen cracked in x100

tj3333

Jul 14, 2011
I have a x100 which happened to develop cracks in the LCD display. The cracks were underneath the plastic cover (part of the exterior of the camera), and there was no signs of external impact on the camera. The functions of the camera were working as usual: the hybrid viewfinder still works, lens still working fine, pictures are still as sharp. Basically, everything works except for the LCD display. Thinking that it would not cost much to replace the LCD display, I sent it for repair at the Fuji service at the New Industrial Road.

At the service centre, I told the girl at the counter in the service centre that my camera was working fine sans the display. I even demonstrated to her that my hybrid viewfinder and the phototaking capabilities were working fine. I then deposited the camera for diagnostics. That was 2 weeks ago.

Today, I received a sms stating that the cost of repair is 877.40.

100 for service fee (reasonable)
40 for LCD screen (reasonable)
680 Lens assembly (????)
gst 57.40

I was shocked by the inclusion of the lens assembly in the list of things needed to be repaired. I gave them a call, and I was directed to the technician who told me that my hybrid viewfinder was faulty (somehow the viewfinder comes together with the lens assembly). I was shocked. I sent in a working viewfinder, and I received a damaged one after diagnostic. I told him what I thought (e.g. the viewfinder was working fine previously, suggested that it could be their workmanship that could be lacking), and he told me that he would give my camera a thorough diagnostic again before calling me next monday.

The cost of the repair is too high to justify. If I were to reject the repair, it would mean that I sent in a camera with working viewfinder and received one with a faulty one! What should I do?

I have a x100 which happened to develop cracks in the LCD display. The cracks were underneath the plastic cover (part of the exterior of the camera), and there was no signs of external impact on the camera. The functions of the camera were working as usual: the hybrid viewfinder still works, lens still working fine, pictures are still as sharp. Basically, everything works except for the LCD display. Thinking that it would not cost much to replace the LCD display, I sent it for repair at the Fuji service at the New Industrial Road.

At the service centre, I told the girl at the counter in the service centre that my camera was working fine sans the display. I even demonstrated to her that my hybrid viewfinder and the phototaking capabilities were working fine. I then deposited the camera for diagnostics. That was 2 weeks ago.

680 Lens assembly (????)
gst 57.40

I was shocked by the inclusion of the lens assembly in the list of things needed to be repaired. I gave them a call, and I was directed to the technician who told me that my hybrid viewfinder was faulty (somehow the viewfinder comes together with the lens assembly). I was shocked. I sent in a working viewfinder, and I received a damaged one after diagnostic. I told him what I thought (e.g. the viewfinder was working fine previously, suggested that it could be their workmanship that could be lacking), and he told me that he would give my camera a thorough diagnostic again before calling me next monday.

The cost of the repair is too high to justify. If I were to reject the repair, it would mean that I sent in a camera with working viewfinder and received one with a faulty one! What should I do?

wah 800+ can get 2nd hand x100. lol

shouldn't they have called before proceeding?

I dun think the repair has been carried out. But the least they should do is to return the set with the VF problem rectified. I would not take back the set otherwise. Once it's off their hands it's longer their problem. But who knows maybe the technician will call back on Monday with good news.

By all rights the customer service should have described the condition of the camera when receiving it. And you did mention that U showed the issue areas to the customer service.

hence if papers show that only the LCD is cracked and all else working fine but now the viewfinder is dead, most likely u will be able to 'demand' a proper explanation.
So far the level of customer service at Fuji i experienced is very good , and i've been there for at least 4 times. Hope u can resolve this amicably.

680 Lens assembly (????)
gst 57.40

I dun think the repair has been carried out. But the least they should do is to return the set with the VF problem rectified. I would not take back the set otherwise. Once it's off their hands it's longer their problem. But who knows maybe the technician will call back on Monday with good news.

You are right, they have not carried out the repairs yet.

I can still refuse to do any repairs. The issue is that I sent in a camera with a working viewfinder, but I have to make do with a faulty one.

I thought that it was just a LCD display repair. Never thought that this trip would bring so much trouble.

Rather confused right now.

You are right, they have not carried out the repairs yet.

I can still refuse to do any repairs. The issue is that I sent in a camera with a working viewfinder, but I have to make do with a faulty one.

I thought that it was just a LCD display repair. Never thought that this trip would bring so much trouble.

Rather confused right now.

I've never had to repair my Pentax gear but I've accompanied people to Canon service centre and I recall that they hand over papers describing the condition of the item received and all reported problems. If this was the case here, then you can use this to raise dispute with the sudden need to repair the VF as well.

Maybe you can clarify what is the problem with the VF, if it was something easily overlooked then it's not clear if you missed it all along and probably won't be bothered by it, or the damage was dealt by the service centre for whatever reason. Sometimes they want to repair the smallest things..

I've never had to repair my Pentax gear but I've accompanied people to Canon service centre and I recall that they hand over papers describing the condition of the item received and all reported problems. If this was the case here, then you can use this to raise dispute with the sudden need to repair the VF as well.

Maybe you can clarify what is the problem with the VF, if it was something easily overlooked then it's not clear if you missed it all along and probably won't be bothered by it, or the damage was dealt by the service centre for whatever reason. Sometimes they want to repair the smallest things..

Wished I have done what you have done, handing over papers describing the conditions of the items. Even the technician was at a loss what to do.

I wrote an email to the fuji yesterday, and they assigned the same technician to call me today. He did not give any concrete answers when I questioned him again why my camera suffered damages during the diagnostic process. He only apologised for the duration of diagnostic (he claimed there were lots of camera in line), and he dodged the question on why the camera was damaged by answering "I am working very hard on it".

Argh. This is turning into a nightmare.

Hi, it would be better to go down to the service centre and speak to the technician. At the same time you can check the camera. More secure this way. Better to see your camera rather than accepting the words over the phone. Hope your problem would be solved

Wished I have done what you have done, handing over papers describing the conditions of the items. Even the technician was at a loss what to do.

I wrote an email to the fuji yesterday, and they assigned the same technician to call me today. He did not give any concrete answers when I questioned him again why my camera suffered damages during the diagnostic process. He only apologised for the duration of diagnostic (he claimed there were lots of camera in line), and he dodged the question on why the camera was damaged by answering "I am working very hard on it".

Argh. This is turning into a nightmare.

So are you saying they didn't make inspection upon receiving your camera and give you papers stating LCD screen cracked but others function properly? I always thought this is a standard procedure for service.

Usually they will note down what the faults are, not what is working.

So are you saying they didn't make inspection upon receiving your camera and give you papers stating LCD screen cracked but others function properly? I always thought this is a standard procedure for service.

Well, after checking the various papers I received from the service help desk, it was apparent they did not note down what was functioning in the camera. What was listed instead was what was not functioning.

This is what that is written on the papers:

Fault Comments

DR-R LCD Display Broken
LCD Display Broken

Other Comments
Pre-check: LCD Display has visible cracks and scratches all over.

Accessories: Nil

Service comments:
Replace LCD Display.

Added image of papers for clarity.

IMG_1488.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, and I'm sure standard procedure dictates that they give the camera a good once-over. That's really to protect themselves and the company from claims from the customer. Just look at car rental companies, they make the renting party sign a form describing any fault that the renting party can find. Later on when returning, they will compare the condition of the car to what is recorded on that form. Everytime I had to rent the car in the UK we would spend some effort to make sure every scratch was recorded. :bsmilie:

To me, the VF fault was not mentioned, so it was not a fault. Like I said, unless it's something that could be glossed over in a routine check-over, i.e. something that you may not have noticed yourself (which may be inconsequential), I think you do have a case for the VF being ok when it was handed over to Fujifilm.

Then again, up till now you don't know what the fault is right? Best to find out what it is, then you can decide what to do next. Cheers!

Yes, and I'm sure standard procedure dictates that they give the camera a good once-over. That's really to protect themselves and the company from claims from the customer. Just look at car rental companies, they make the renting party sign a form describing any fault that the renting party can find. Later on when returning, they will compare the condition of the car to what is recorded on that form. Everytime I had to rent the car in the UK we would spend some effort to make sure every scratch was recorded. :bsmilie:

To me, the VF fault was not mentioned, so it was not a fault. Like I said, unless it's something that could be glossed over in a routine check-over, i.e. something that you may not have noticed yourself (which may be inconsequential), I think you do have a case for the VF being ok when it was handed over to Fujifilm.

Then again, up till now you don't know what the fault is right? Best to find out what it is, then you can decide what to do next. Cheers!

The fault is described as white patches on the electronic viewfinder only when viewing pictures. I did not encounter such problems before. In fact, I have shown the girl at the counter photos I have taken using the EVF.

I guess I shall head down to the service centre later on. Luckily it closes at 8pm.

The fault is described as white patches on the electronic viewfinder only when viewing pictures. I did not encounter such problems before. In fact, I have shown the girl at the counter photos I have taken using the EVF.

I guess I shall head down to the service centre later on. Luckily it closes at 8pm.

You need to find out what time the technicians leave if you need to speak to them. They may leave around 5 or 6pm. (Experience from my previous visits).

Last edited:

You will have to make sure the particular engineer is still at the service centre after 6. They likely leave the office at 6, no use going there since the entire office only counter operating.

Since you mentioned the screen cracked, it could be due to the drop or anything which courses internal damages to the view finder undetectable from outside or intermittent?
Make a phone call to them, wait for them to call you as what told by them. Likely they are discussing with their managers.

You need to find out what time the technicians leave if you need to speak to them. They may leave around 5 or 6pm. (Experience from my previous visits).

I don't think I can make it. I think I have to wait for their call.

Since you mentioned the screen cracked, it could be due to the drop or anything which courses internal damages to the view finder undetectable from outside or intermittent?
Make a phone call to them, wait for them to call you as what told by them. Likely they are discussing with their managers.

Well, it was working well before I sent it in. I should have detected this issue during the operation of this camera, but I did not.

I would like to post an update to this thread. The technician just called, and he informed me that he had repaired the damaged viewfinder with no additional charges. I would only need to pay for the servicing fees and the lcd replacement, which comes up to be around $150. I am very pleased with their decision, and thankful to the technician who repaired my camera.

I would like to post an update to this thread. The technician just called, and he informed me that he had repaired the damaged viewfinder with no additional charges. I would only need to pay for the servicing fees and the lcd replacement, which comes up to be around $150. I am very pleased with their decision, and thankful to the technician who repaired my camera.

nice. good to hear

Glad to see its been resolved satisfactorily.