Serious newbie help needed - cannot do macro

Status
Not open for further replies.
pop said:
today i learn some new things, which is good.

btw, the issue of vignetting, is poor lighting a possible cause? when i took the 3 shots above, although it is next to the window, the weather has been overcast today, so lighting may not be adequate?

yes yes we should be prepared to learn something new everyday.

vignetting has to do with the lens at that particular focal length (sorry I can't really explain, you could do a google) and not due to your photographic skills.

wow, fword, those macros are incredible, so professional. couldn't tell they were taken using such a 'cheap' trick. ;)

thanks for sharing. that's sure something for me to try out.

hwchoy said:
wow! extreme DIY :thumbsup: although it should be noted the A40 has a much closer macro distance even at max tele.

Thank you. :) It was one of those things I tried on a whim. Can't remember off-hand, but the minimum focussing distance of the A40 is probably around 28cm or so. Probably an above average distance by today's standards.

pop said:
wow, fword, those macros are incredible, so professional. couldn't tell they were taken using such a 'cheap' trick. ;)

thanks for sharing. that's sure something for me to try out.

Thank you for the kind words. :) Although I will admit that with such a setup, I believe you'd be sacrificing some image quality, especially since the loupe itself may not be made of quality glass. With your FX9 (newer technology, and a higher resolution), you'd be getting stunning shots with this setup if you can pull it off.

Adding on, the in-built flash was used for all these pictures. If you want a bigger DOF, it would technically be possible by going to manual mode and choosing the smallest aperture possible, and setting a shutter speed of around 1/60 second or so, which is just a 'safe' number. Otherwise, set the camera to Program mode first and see how it goes.

Hope it will work well for you, and you won't have to forgo the world of macro.

Sounds like an intresting way do do macro conversion :D does this mean a +4 = a 4x magnification or is it jsut a realtive factor?

Wow, fWord, that's a creative & resourceful way to do macros on a P&S! :thumbsup:

Hey, pop, here's the pic I promised in respond to your query abt F11's macro function. This is the closest I could get to the 20 cent coin:

F11_Macro.jpg

hey, wiz, that's much closer than my cam can do. nice job.

No worries, bro ... don't expect too much of the macro functions of P&S cams. FX9 has nice colours and will be great for landscapes and portraits :)

wiz23 said:
Wow, fWord, that's a creative & resourceful way to do macros on a P&S! :thumbsup:

Hey, pop, here's the pic I promised in respond to your query abt F11's macro function. This is the closest I could get to the 20 cent coin:

F11_Macro.jpg

Gee...the F11 can get quite close to an object. And it's also a camera with good high ISO ability right? One of my friends is looking to buy a new compact camera and I recommended that he look at the F10. Wonder if the F11 is any improvement from the predecessor. Care to share your opinions?

nozoom.jpg

I tried again this morning with a different approach. I stick the coin on the wall and try to go as near as possible. The above picture was taken with the distance between the coin and the most protruded part of the lens at 3.5cm. But if measuring the distance from the front panel of the cam to the coin, it is actually 5.5cm.

This has produced a much closer shot than I could yesterday.

wiz23 said:
Hey pop, that's cool! :cool:

So it's not as bad as you thought it was ... Great! :thumbsup:

yea, thanks, feels better now. newbies can be so blur and slow sometimes, but i'm glad i have many great teachers here who are patient and selfless enough to share. Plus there are many like you always encouraging and talking to me.

Cheers!

pop said:
yea, thanks, feels better now. newbies can be so blur and slow sometimes, but i'm glad i have many great teachers here who are patient and selfless enough to share. Plus there are many like you always encouraging and talking to me.

Cheers!
No worries, dude! Always happy to chat with fellow amatuer photography enthusiasts :)

pop said:
nozoom.jpg

I tried again this morning with a different approach. I stick the coin on the wall and try to go as near as possible. The above picture was taken with the distance between the coin and the most protruded part of the lens at 3.5cm. But if measuring the distance from the front panel of the cam to the coin, it is actually 5.5cm.

This has produced a much closer shot than I could yesterday.

Wow...that's pretty close! Don't think you'd be needing a macro setup now. :D

I think one of the reason you can't get close to 5cm is because of lighting, the better light produce better constrast, and hence the camera is easier to focus/hunt in close macro distance.

fWord said:
Wow...that's pretty close! Don't think you'd be needing a macro setup now. :D

nah, surely I have to give your 'loupe method' a try. ever thought of patenting that? ;)

zcf, could be. I had better lighting this morning, yesterday too gloomy.

pop said:
nah, surely I have to give your 'loupe method' a try. ever thought of patenting that? ;)

zcf, could be. I had better lighting this morning, yesterday too gloomy.
I agree, lighting is a factor. In fact, last night when I was taking the macro shot with my F11 under fluorescent lighting, the AF had to hunt a bit, and sometimes it missed ... Under bright sunlight, it's much better :)

it is better to manual focus when doing macro. first you are assured you get to the minimum focus distance (if you want) and two because of the very shallow DOC you don't want the AF to any how focus.

hwchoy said:
it is better to manual focus when doing macro. first you are assured you get to the minimum focus distance (if you want) and two because of the very shallow DOC you don't want the AF to any how focus.
Haha, I know, but our P&S don't have manual focus ... Of course if I was using my D70, then no prob lah :)

Status
Not open for further replies.