sensor problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenson

Jul 25, 2007
Need some adivse urgently. Is there something wrong with my sensor? I got this funny white dot at the exact same spot in every picture. cannot be dust as its clearly just 1 pixel. i am using 400D. anyone have such cases before? is it covered by warranty?

Snoweagle

Jan 26, 2005
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Need some adivse urgently. Is there something wrong with my sensor? I got this funny white dot at the exact same spot in every picture. cannot be dust as its clearly just 1 pixel. i am using 400D. anyone have such cases before? is it covered by warranty?

I believe it's a hot pixel. Just send it back to Canon and request for sensor mapping.

CT 3833

Sep 23, 2006

TS, I believe this in itself is a cropped image. If you look at the original picture at normal size, the dot should not be noticeable. And you can leave it alone as this is a common phenomenon in both SLR and DSLR.
You will see the dot only, (1) when you blow up your picture (2) a picture of a very dark scene. Otherwise, the dot is not noticieable at all.

Last, try to cover your lens and take a manual shot, pay more attention to the picture and likely you will see more of such dots.

so even if you can find 10 dots on a 10MP CCD, it affect 0.0001% area of a picture, it does not matter really. you can clone it away when it appear. Of course, still not happy? pay money to CSC, money can buy happiness.

MontoyaSG

May 16, 2004
enable noise reduction & let the camera's processing chip handle all the hot pixels

jenson

Jul 25, 2007
care to explain what is sensor mapping?

i have emailed Canon support. service charges itself is $60.. i guess if its under warranty this would be waived. They have suggested for me to bring the camera down to the service ctr... (a reply which i anticipated)

May 5, 2006
care to explain what is sensor mapping?

i have emailed Canon support. service charges itself is $60.. i guess if its under warranty this would be waived. They have suggested for me to bring the camera down to the service ctr... (a reply which i anticipated)
try this tip first before spending money.. it worked on my 400D

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/discuss/72157606307378467/

On most Canons there is an ingenious pixel-remap performed every time the manual sensor clean function is activated.

I know the 350, 400, 20 and 30 do it and the 10 doesn't. I'm pretty sure the 300 does, but I can't remember since it's a while since I used one.

Anyway, all you have to do is keep a capped lens or body cap on the camera, and activate "sensor clean" from the menu. I don't know if it happens immediately or takes a few seconds as I always do it for a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom