sensor problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenson

Jul 25, 2007
Need some adivse urgently. Is there something wrong with my sensor? I got this funny white dot at the exact same spot in every picture. cannot be dust as its clearly just 1 pixel. i am using 400D. anyone have such cases before? is it covered by warranty?

pixel.jpg

Need some adivse urgently. Is there something wrong with my sensor? I got this funny white dot at the exact same spot in every picture. cannot be dust as its clearly just 1 pixel. i am using 400D. anyone have such cases before? is it covered by warranty?

pixel.jpg

I believe it's a hot pixel. Just send it back to Canon and request for sensor mapping.

another sample
pixel2.jpg

I believe it's a hot pixel. Just send it back to Canon and request for sensor mapping.

Do you know if I need to pay for it?

pixel.jpg

TS, I believe this in itself is a cropped image. If you look at the original picture at normal size, the dot should not be noticeable. And you can leave it alone as this is a common phenomenon in both SLR and DSLR.
You will see the dot only, (1) when you blow up your picture (2) a picture of a very dark scene. Otherwise, the dot is not noticieable at all.

Last, try to cover your lens and take a manual shot, pay more attention to the picture and likely you will see more of such dots.

so even if you can find 10 dots on a 10MP CCD, it affect 0.0001% area of a picture, it does not matter really. you can clone it away when it appear. Of course, still not happy? pay money to CSC, money can buy happiness.

enable noise reduction & let the camera's processing chip handle all the hot pixels

care to explain what is sensor mapping?

i have emailed Canon support. service charges itself is $60.. i guess if its under warranty this would be waived. They have suggested for me to bring the camera down to the service ctr... (a reply which i anticipated)

care to explain what is sensor mapping?

i have emailed Canon support. service charges itself is $60.. i guess if its under warranty this would be waived. They have suggested for me to bring the camera down to the service ctr... (a reply which i anticipated)

try this tip first before spending money.. it worked on my 400D

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/discuss/72157606307378467/

On most Canons there is an ingenious pixel-remap performed every time the manual sensor clean function is activated.

I know the 350, 400, 20 and 30 do it and the 10 doesn't. I'm pretty sure the 300 does, but I can't remember since it's a while since I used one.

Anyway, all you have to do is keep a capped lens or body cap on the camera, and activate "sensor clean" from the menu. I don't know if it happens immediately or takes a few seconds as I always do it for a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.