Sennheiser Headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
wah that price is rubbish man. :bigeyes:

I changed the cable once under warranty and it lasted only 2 months or so.

ah well...

thanks for the info. :)

Guys

I am in need of some advices though: I have went on a tour to seek for a portable MP3 player that is acceptable in terms of audio quality. What I find most disturbing is that, most popular players like iPod and Zen Neeon have no significant functions like a parametric equaliser, and is quite soft on my HD595 as well.

So in this case, I did a search for competent audio players, and I find that Sony's D-NE20/S(http://www.sonystyle.com.sg/sonystyle/jsp/bigproduct/bigproductdisplay.jsp?Level1=26946&Level2=2038&Level3=4109&MaterialNumber=49237810) most suitable.

So what do you say? Or do you have any product to recommend, since I am intending to purchase all at once by Friday next week.

schon said:

ah well...

I don't know how you use or misuse your headphones. my cables lasted forever until my kids damaged it. I even use my HD600 to play computer games, great explosions :thumbsup:

Slivester said:
Guys

I am in need of some advices though: I have went on a tour to seek for a portable MP3 player that is acceptable in terms of audio quality. What I find most disturbing is that, most popular players like iPod and Zen Neeon have no significant functions like a parametric equaliser, and is quite soft on my HD595 as well.

So in this case, I did a search for competent audio players, and I find that Sony's D-NE20/S(http://www.sonystyle.com.sg/sonystyle/jsp/bigproduct/bigproductdisplay.jsp?Level1=26946&Level2=2038&Level3=4109&MaterialNumber=49237810) most suitable.

So what do you say? Or do you have any product to recommend, since I am intending to purchase all at once by Friday next week.

I will highly recommend the Sony D-NE20 discman. Thats what I am using right now(I mentioned that in post #20). And the sound quality is defintely the best I have heard from a portable audio device. Coupled with my PX 200, the music is full bodied enough, dynamic and powerful. Listening to techno, trance and pop is definitely shiok. Listening to classical or soundtrack, you may need to tune down the bass.

I bought the D-NE20 after reading reviews from hifi magazine and I have no regrets over my choice. The looks and the slimness is also a plus point:lovegrin: The amplifier and sound processor is built into the controller not the player itself.

Oh yeah you can also listen to MP3 burned into CDs on the D-NE20.

kelccm said:
I will highly recommend the Sony D-NE20 discman. Thats what I am using right now(I mentioned that in post #20). And the sound quality is defintely the best I have heard from a portable audio device. Coupled with my PX 200, the music is full bodied enough, dynamic and powerful. Listening to techno, trance and pop is definitely shiok. Listening to classical or soundtrack, you may need to tune down the bass.

I bought the D-NE20 after reading reviews from hifi magazine and I have no regrets over my choice. The looks and the slimness is also a plus point:lovegrin: The amplifier and sound processor is built into the controller not the player itself.

Oh yeah you can also listen to MP3 burned into CDs on the D-NE20.

Ah, I knew it that this is the player that destined to be purchased! Haha. Alright, I am more assured now, and I did missed out on your post regarding the player :embrass: . Anyway, where/how much did you get it? From the Sonystyle online shopping its S$279.

schon said:

ah well...

It depends on which model of the headphones you have..

The cables for the HD2XX/ 5XX/ 6XX and EH series are usually of the user replacable cables with kevlar impregnated into the jackets. These are freaking tough cables..
I ran over the cables many times with a computer chair and they work just fine..
Also spliced them for making upgrade cables before..

OTOH, those used for the HD4XX series are somewhat more plasticky.. Don't seem to be half as durable...

Slivester said:
Ah, I knew it that this is the player that destined to be purchased! Haha. Alright, I am more assured now, and I did missed out on your post regarding the player :embrass: . Anyway, where/how much did you get it? From the Sonystyle online shopping its S$279.

I bought it at $279 also at HN. Didn't bother to check out the price elsewhere(was quite lazy and desperate to get a discman then after my previous discman died). I feel that the silver colour is the nicest looking one out of the 3 colours.

Hmmms. i didn't know a discman would cost up to 200+ nowadays when mp3 market is just so big. but seriously, any recommandations for a mp3 with a big capacity *size and looks doesn't really matter* but has produces good sound? and going with my HD215? i'm sorta lazy to buy a external soundcard for it. =)

Koelsch said:
Hmmms. i didn't know a discman would cost up to 200+ nowadays when mp3 market is just so big. but seriously, any recommandations for a mp3 with a big capacity *size and looks doesn't really matter* but has produces good sound? and going with my HD215? i'm sorta lazy to buy a external soundcard for it. =)
Frankly, after reviewing those so-called "current trend" devices, like iPod and Zen, the sound quality is so poor that even if you compressed your mp3 to say CBR 256kbps, you are likely to hear sound distortion, especially in metal tracks. I tried Rammstein and Within Temptation on both iPod and Zen, and Zen Neeon definitely wins, but sound quality is still considered bad. No customise-equaliser, which adds on to the woe, and amplification is just bad, nearly max out the volume control before I can something on the HD600.

iPod makes me speechless, definitely not the choice if you want good sound quality. That is why I went back to CD walkman.

kelccm said:
I bought it at $279 also at HN. Didn't bother to check out the price elsewhere(was quite lazy and desperate to get a discman then after my previous discman died). I feel that the silver colour is the nicest looking one out of the 3 colours.

Alright, seems like most electronic stores are going at S$279 as well, ah, this friday! :lovegrin:

Slivester said:
No customise-equaliser, which adds on to the woe, and amplification is just bad, nearly max out the volume control before I can something on the HD600.

HD600's are high impedance phones and should be driven off a dedicated headphones amplifier. It also appears that you've relatively high listening levels. Might wanna monitor it.. Not good to suffer hearing damage.

Firefox said:
HD600's are high impedance phones and should be driven off a dedicated headphones amplifier. It also appears that you've relatively high listening levels. Might wanna monitor it.. Not good to suffer hearing damage.

No, I do not. I listen to classical most of times (70%, 30% goth/metal rock), so I don't supposed there is any need to amplify the volume.

Slivester said:
No, I do not. I listen to classical most of times (70%, 30% goth/metal rock), so I don't supposed there is any need to amplify the volume.

Headphone amps are used not necessarily for increasing the loudness only. Most of the time portable players have poor quality headphone drivers built in. They measure well in the designer's lab driving purely resistive loads, but degrades when given a real headphone with more complex load to drive.

A good quality amplifier can drive complex loads with no problem, and it presents a purely resistive load to the built-in headphone driver. As such, sound quality can usually be improved significantly even if there is no volume gain.

In the case of the HD600, with its higher impedance, some volume gain might be necessary to drive it to enjoyable levels.

The HD600 is not suitable for listening to a portable player without an additional headphone amps. On a higher grade hifi system maybe ok, but you wouldn't be doing the HD600 justice if you use it on a portable player. If you intend to listen to a discman or mp3 player without an additional amp, then it will be better to get another lower impedance headphone, like the PX series.

Slivester said:

I guess loudness is subjective..
For me, my listening volumes are amongst, if not, the lowest in the local headphones community at a calculated 72dB, peak 75dB. I consider anything above 86dB excessively loud.
I do know of several members who seemingly have damaged hearing or simply haven't cleaned their ears in 20 years. Their listening volumes exceed 94dB easily.
Not to mention those general earbud users on the train where I can clearly hear the music they play when I'm in the train moving within the tunnel and am standing almost 4m away..

kelccm said:
The HD600 is not suitable for listening to a portable player without an additional headphone amps. On a higher grade hifi system maybe ok, but you wouldn't be doing the HD600 justice if you use it on a portable player. If you intend to listen to a discman or mp3 player without an additional amp, then it will be better to get another lower impedance headphone, like the PX series.

I was phrasing the answer in the sense it dwarf the capability of the portable player, and using HD600, the weakness of a portable audio player is contrasted, not in a sense where in one will get a sedan refilled with diesel.

Slivester said:
I was phrasing the answer in the sense it dwarf the capability of the portable player, and using HD600, the weakness of a portable audio player is contrasted, not in a sense where in one will get a sedan refilled with diesel.

I still don't really get what you meant, but using the same headphone we can hear the different qualities of various portable players. I guess that you mean that those MP3 players just sound awful as compared to a discman, and you are using your HD600 as a reference??

kelccm said:
I still don't really get what you meant, but using the same headphone we can hear the different qualities of various portable players. I guess that you mean that those MP3 players just sound awful as compared to a discman, and you are using your HD600 as a reference??

Yeah, thats roughly what I am trying to comment as.

Status
Not open for further replies.