Self-Assembled PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to build one next week. So far, the components I've selected are:
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3Ghz 1333Mhz 12MB L2 Cache
  • Gigabyte EP45-UD3R Mainboard
  • 16GB RAM (OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz Platinum Edition 8GB KIT)
  • Leadtek Nvidia 512MB GTS250
  • 4 x 500GB WD Caviar Black Dual Processor HDD Edition 7200rpm SATA-2 32mb Buffer
  • Asus ATX Casing
  • Vantec 800W Bronze PSU
  • 2 x Samsung 2233SW 21.5" LCD
I still am trying to figure out the additional cooling components.

Good choice there Aryanto. Anyone using Gigabyte board besides myself?

Intel E8400
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3
Kingston 667MHz 8GB RAM
Leadtek 8800GT
500GB Western Digital (OS X + Windows x64 in VMware)
1TB Hitachi x2 (soft RAID 0)
1TB Hitachi for back up (using Time Machine)
Antec 550W PSU

Me still old fashion, using a E6400 and Asus P5B from more than 2 years ago. Overclocked to 3.2Ghz. But the system can be unstable at this clock not to mention hot. After the first month or so running at this clock I now run it econo mode at 1.6Ghz and minimum voltage.

To me...nowaday the performance margin are too close for each manufactur and if there is any, the price point set by retailer has already factor in to reflect the demand and quality of one product.....so DIY is more like brand preference than cherry picking :sweat:

Here is a good read up..
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MHGSBG/article.php/3806051

Btw mine is a 2~3 years old system....I am for silence operation rather than brute speed :)

CM centurion 532
http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=en&act=detail&tbcate=17&id=24
Velodyn 430W PSU
Intel core2duo 6750
Gigabyte P35 DS3R mobo
Gigabyte Nvidia 6600
2GB DDR800 Kingston low latency Ram
2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB Sata
NEC 24x DVD writer
Logitech G15 mouse and keyboard :) :lovegrin:

Last edited:
never had a good gigabyte board before... maybe if they change to terrabyte then i'll try again...

have always been an ASUS user since more than 10 years ago...
LOL! This is my first Gigabyte board after so many years using Asus. Rock solid I must say. For now at least. Haha. ;p

Change the 9600GT to a Radeon 4830, about the same price and faster.
As for HDD, I think go for WD better.
Change the RAM to DDR800.
As for PSU, I think u should get something that is at least 650W. Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, FSP, OCZ are all good

hi, what is a recommended graphic card/s for general gaming purpose? what about the recommended ram for the same purpose? tks. i am using Dell Dimension 4700.

To me...nowaday the performance margin are too close for each manufactur and if there is any, the price point set by retailer has already factor in to reflect the demand and quality of one product.....so DIY is more like brand preference than cherry picking :sweat:

Here is a good read up..
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MHGSBG/article.php/3806051

Btw mine is a 2~3 years old system....I am for silence operation rather than brute speed :)

CM centurion 532
http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=en&act=detail&tbcate=17&id=24
Velodyn 430W PSU
Intel core2duo 6750
Gigabyte P35 DS3R mobo
Gigabyte Nvidia 6600
2GB DDR800 Kingston low latency Ram
2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB Sata
NEC 24x DVD writer
Logitech G1 mouse and keyboard :) :lovegrin:

u want him to buy your set? lol...

now not listing your parts out thread, its help him decide what parts to buy thread.

Change the 9600GT to a Radeon 4830, about the same price and faster.
As for HDD, I think go for WD better.
Change the RAM to DDR800.
As for PSU, I think u should get something that is at least 650W. Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, FSP, OCZ are all good

ya, 9600 is so, last year... almost same time with 3850/3870 era...

should get either the 2 series from nvidia, or 4 series from ATI...

also have to depend on the monitor, if the monitor max is 1280x1024, then the games max res is only 1280x1024, and playing old games, no need so high end graphics like 4870x2 or gtx295... but if its running 30" monitor... then think need to run SLI or Crossfire liao...

I am planning to build one next week. So far, the components I've selected are:
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3Ghz 1333Mhz 12MB L2 Cache
  • Gigabyte EP45-UD3R Mainboard
  • 16GB RAM (OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz Platinum Edition 8GB KIT)
  • Leadtek Nvidia 512MB GTS250
  • 4 x 500GB WD Caviar Black Dual Processor HDD Edition 7200rpm SATA-2 32mb Buffer
  • Asus ATX Casing
  • Vantec 800W Bronze PSU
  • 2 x Samsung 2233SW 21.5" LCD
I still am trying to figure out the additional cooling components.
Quad? You running a video production house mate? You can save some bucks for more storage actually. Cooling components best to use the stock provided if you are not planning on overclocking. Choose your casing wisely. Get those with a good airflow. CPU heatsink, Asus Arctic Square? I dunno... Those guys at SLS always don't keep a lot of stock.

It seems like we have all missed out one imporant thing from TS and those who like to plan for a D.I.Y. PC.

What is your budget margin range without monitor, keyboard and mouse?

<$1000
$1000 ~ $1500
$1500 ~ $2000
$2000 ~ $2500
>$2500

For me, I've been helping my friends and clients of some SMEs to work out their PCs according to the budget and needs, and with the right budget, usually you can easily build a suitable D.I.Y. system.

Btw, just to correct on 1 point which domdomino mentioned in his post to prevent confusion. Processors with codename "E" like E8200, E8300, E8600, is not Extreme edition, just normal codename for Conroe processors. Extreme edition is codenamed "X", example, QX6850, QX6700 or X6800 (for dual cores). In fact, being the highest end in the Intel family, extreme processors are common suspects of piggy bank killers, it simply drys your piggy bank flat instantly - no mercy.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/

Nonethless, like others, domdomino has a good and affordable setup at sub $1k, which I think should convinced TS that Quad core is not necessary to perform the tasks and is able to save a few hundred dollars for better hardware upgrades.

here's my rig . Actually dont need Quad Core la. :) I find that Extreme is already enuff

- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3.0Ghz
- MSI P45 Neo3-FR
- 4GB RAM
- Geforce 9500GT
- ( My own HDD )
- Samsung 22x CD writer
- Andyson 500W P.S.U
- Cooler Master 690 Casing
- Cooler Master V8
- OCZ twin fan memory cooler
- LED fans 120mm x2
- 90mm LED fans x 2
- 140mm LED fans x 1 ( front panel)

at a price of $950.

ya, 9600 is so, last year... almost same time with 3850/3870 era...

should get either the 2 series from nvidia, or 4 series from ATI...

also have to depend on the monitor, if the monitor max is 1280x1024, then the games max res is only 1280x1024, and playing old games, no need so high end graphics like 4870x2 or gtx295... but if its running 30" monitor... then think need to run SLI or Crossfire liao...

He's getting a 22" monitor in June....4830 is just nice for that. 1680x1050 resolution.:)

He's getting a 22" monitor in June....4830 is just nice for that. 1680x1050 resolution.:)

or abit more for 4850... then abit more, 4870... then abit more... 4850x2, then abit abit more 4870x2... this is never ending... everytime i see the bloody price list i get tempted...

its always 20bucks gap, then i think, ok, add abit more won't regret later... by the time i see, damn, 300 bucks difference from original intention

or abit more for 4850... then abit more, 4870... then abit more... 4850x2, then abit abit more 4870x2... this is never ending... everytime i see the bloody price list i get tempted...

its always 20bucks gap, then i think, ok, add abit more won't regret later... by the time i see, damn, 300 bucks difference from original intention
hehehehe... it happens all the time...

HAHAHAHA....we all went through this stage!

Quad? You running a video production house mate? You can save some bucks for more storage actually. Cooling components best to use the stock provided if you are not planning on overclocking. Choose your casing wisely. Get those with a good airflow. CPU heatsink, Asus Arctic Square? I dunno... Those guys at SLS always don't keep a lot of stock.

not really lah, i maxed out my hdd liao...

i running on my gaming rig...

Onboard
1x WD Raptor
2x 1TB WD Black
2x 500gb Seagate

x3 Esata
Docking station x2

2x SAS not used yet... not worth the price differences to me yet.

Onboard
1x WD Raptor
2x 1TB WD Black
2x 500gb Seagate

x3 Esata
Docking station x2

What you need is a proper storage management. LOL! Try the SAS ley... lemme know how 'good' it is. I might jump ship if the prices drop. Then there's SSD... sigh... so many toys to buy. Hahahaha

Onboard
1x WD Raptor
2x 1TB WD Black
2x 500gb Seagate

x3 Esata
Docking station x2

Whao! You really got alot of HDD space and yet you maxed them out already :bigeyes:?

Power!

I only got 1 x 500, 1 x 250, 1 x 300, 1 x 320 and 1 x 80. I'm still having about 300GB free.:)

Anybody using AMD CPU... I have been using AMD and I usually save a few hundred $$$$

More Ram on board, faster HD, faster graphic card, sufficient PSU.. all contribute the speed of the system! Have enough of cooling system for the box.... fanciful LED will draw away the power for the CPU and the rest of the cards!
Having more money also will contribute to the speed of the system. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.