Self-Assembled PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
so the software isn't catching up with the hardware?

thats y there is service packs, upgrades, patches, etc...

doubt there is any games that is optimized for C2Q or i7 yet... C2D maybe quite alot... you can have an additional monitor, then use task manager to view your cores performance. or a keyboard like G15 that shows the cores performance on the LCD.

thanks finally testing on old board, just for fun. :lovegrin: :devil:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac
Model Identifier: EP45-DS3P
Processor Speed: 3.00 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Sorry for OT.
Looks like you've made it. Welcome to the club. LOL! :bsmilie:

just got the Asus P5Q board with the Q9550 and a Gigabyte 550W PSU. Now left casing and Graphic card. Intending to get a coolermaster casing with a Nivdia 9600GT. For a more tok gong card i'll hold off till the next pc show or if the 9600GT really CMI. Else a 22" LCD sounds really good. :bsmilie:

just got the Asus P5Q board with the Q9550 and a Gigabyte 550W PSU. Now left casing and Graphic card. Intending to get a coolermaster casing with a Nivdia 9600GT. For a more tok gong card i'll hold off till the next pc show or if the 9600GT really CMI. Else a 22" LCD sounds really good. :bsmilie:
Wooo nice purchase.... dun forget to get lots and lots of storage as well. Cheers!

haha yea.. the board has 6 sata connectors and i think it supports raid as well. so i think storage shouldn't be a problem. :lovegrin:

9600GT is good enough if you're not an intensive gamer. or you can consider getting the radeon 4850 which is also competitively priced

yea.. will be playing games like Grid, Colin Mcrae Dirt, Test Drive Unlimited and Microsoft Flight Simulator. 4850 is off budget le.. :nono:

hey guys.. much thanks to those who have provided me with valuable feedback in my quest to build my own pc.

Assembled the computer earlier in the evening. took me about 2 hrs plus. When i first powered it up, i noticed a 'CPU fan failure' warning though the fan was spinning just fine. thought no issue, so just ignored it and went into bios to configure the time, boot sequence etc. i restarted the computer to make sure that it could detect the 'empty' HDD and DVD drive. last stage was to starte the com to install vista. then the problems started surfacing.

although the computer is powered on, the bios wont load and there's no display on the monitor, ie blank, monitor light flashing. Couldn't power down, had to switch off the PSU at the back.

Power up again, this time the bios also never load, no image, monitor lights continue to flash and the computer cant seem to power up properly. like got short somewhere. the power seems to cut in and out, then can see the fans spin/stop spin/stop. its like trying to crank a car with a damaged battery/starter.

Switch off PSU, reset jumper on CMOS and took out/put back battery. Same problem. This time round lagi worse. Saw smoke wafting out somewhere. very small puffs, but can smell something melting/burning. Switched off the PSU and power on again, still got smoke.

Alarm bells become air raid siren. Panic already. Disconnected the HDD and DVD drive to see if BIOS could start, but cannot. computer keep trying to crank start. Took out put/put back RAM also no effect. Dunno restarted/force shutdown how many times already. somewhere after that the CPU fan failed. Wont spin.

Took a deep breath and remove/unplug everything. re-assemble again. still the same result. BIOS wont load, CPU fan wont spin, computer cant start properly. LEDs keep blinking on and off, fans power on and off.

Really run out of ideas/solution so here i am. :dunno: Can anyone provide any insights as to why lidat or you kena before and how you solve it? Really :mad2::mad2: Want to cry.. :cry: haha.

Here's a list of the hardware that i'm running/trying to run:

Asus P5Q motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q9550
Kingston ValueRam DDR2 2X2GB 800Mhz
Western Digital 320GB Sata HDD
LG 22X DVD Writer Sata
MSI 9600GT 512MB DDR3 PCI-E
Gigabyte Superb 550W PSU
Coolermaster Elite ATX Chassis

i'm writing all these on my P4, which seems so much more reliable.. Although old and makes alot of noise, still cranking along. :bsmilie:

I had this similar problem with my P5Q mobo just before I go back to Indonesia for qingming. I did not have time to take a look so I just left it there until I come back 1 week later. Switched off all power while away. I was thinking something like worm which have been downloaded and triggered on 1 April etc which flash the BIOS etc, so heck probably I will have to send it to service center. I am prepared for the worse.

So coming back home, I said "Blessyouholycow" while turning on the switch and it got turned on without a problem! LOL. No idea why, dont care now.

OK some idea for you: do not connect all.

Try connecting only: power supply, mobo, graphic card and memory. REMOVE all (do not connect to power especially). I suspect may be not enough power.
When you enter BIOS, make sure it is factory setting. Switch off and then connect HD. Try again. If got problem already then it suggest you may not have enough power from your PowerSupply. So, get some power from your second PC for your HD (I am serious) the rest on your 2nd PC need to be off (unplug the power from your mobo & graphic card on 2nd PC), set them side by side and the HD on the floor (hopefully the cables are long enough). If that does the trick then it is confirmed you power supply has not got enough juice.
Repeat all these for every device you add.

Last edited:
hey guys.. much thanks to those who have provided me with valuable feedback in my quest to build my own pc.

Assembled the computer earlier in the evening. took me about 2 hrs plus. When i first powered it up, i noticed a 'CPU fan failure' warning though the fan was spinning just fine. thought no issue, so just ignored it and went into bios to configure the time, boot sequence etc. i restarted the computer to make sure that it could detect the 'empty' HDD and DVD drive. last stage was to starte the com to install vista. then the problems started surfacing.

although the computer is powered on, the bios wont load and there's no display on the monitor, ie blank, monitor light flashing. Couldn't power down, had to switch off the PSU at the back.

Power up again, this time the bios also never load, no image, monitor lights continue to flash and the computer cant seem to power up properly. like got short somewhere. the power seems to cut in and out, then can see the fans spin/stop spin/stop. its like trying to crank a car with a damaged battery/starter.

Switch off PSU, reset jumper on CMOS and took out/put back battery. Same problem. This time round lagi worse. Saw smoke wafting out somewhere. very small puffs, but can smell something melting/burning. Switched off the PSU and power on again, still got smoke.

Alarm bells become air raid siren. Panic already. Disconnected the HDD and DVD drive to see if BIOS could start, but cannot. computer keep trying to crank start. Took out put/put back RAM also no effect. Dunno restarted/force shutdown how many times already. somewhere after that the CPU fan failed. Wont spin.

Took a deep breath and remove/unplug everything. re-assemble again. still the same result. BIOS wont load, CPU fan wont spin, computer cant start properly. LEDs keep blinking on and off, fans power on and off.

Really run out of ideas/solution so here i am. :dunno: Can anyone provide any insights as to why lidat or you kena before and how you solve it? Really :mad2::mad2: Want to cry.. :cry: haha.

Here's a list of the hardware that i'm running/trying to run:

Asus P5Q motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q9550
Kingston ValueRam DDR2 2X2GB 800Mhz
Western Digital 320GB Sata HDD
LG 22X DVD Writer Sata
MSI 9600GT 512MB DDR3 PCI-E
Gigabyte Superb 550W PSU
Coolermaster Elite ATX Chassis

i'm writing all these on my P4, which seems so much more reliable.. Although old and makes alot of noise, still cranking along. :bsmilie:

take your PSU back and change to a new 1... get a corsair or anything else... even a coolermaster one seem better than gigabyte (as previously stated... never a gigabyte fan)

oh ya, better check all connections if you have missed a pin or something... like if your fan have 3 pins, you pin only 2. (misalignment) in worse case scenario, u may even see fire.

please try bit by bit first, that is what technician will do too. Isolate where the problem starts. Most likely it is power not enough. Even when you start properly there has to be at least 1 beep. Have you read your manual? You need to do all these when you DIY.

you mention smoke and where does it come from?
does the psu fan running?

hope you dont burn the onboard cap else the MB is toasted. :dunno:

Add :
- did the onboard led lite?
- cpu seated correctly?

Last edited:
with the new technology, the CPU is quite well protected unless you directly power the chip.

Else i think is either the power supply or the mainboard.
Do check for any short circuit with other peripherials and also do a single component test to check if each part is working. :)

When there's smoke, that means that something's not right. Might be due to power irregulation from the PSU or shortings from the standoffs underneath the board.

I suggest that you try booting the board out of the chassis on an anti-static sheet (black styrofoam sheet which usually comes with the motherboard) and see if the smoke and burning smell is still around. Next, you may want to check your PSU connections to the board. Make sure that you have at least 20 pins + 4 pins(for processor power) connected to the board, usually new PSUs which are ATX 2.1 ready will come with 24 pins + 4 pins or 8 pins(for processor power) power molex.

Do also try out the booting with your hardware in barebone condition. Barebone means minimum configuration of hardware needed to bootup and setup, which consist of only Processor, Motherboard, 1 x RAM, 1 x Graphics, 1 x HDD, 1 x PSU and no other additional hardware like RAID cards or soundcards etc.

Test this out and feedback on the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.