selection of external flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reno

Jan 22, 2005
Land of the Teddy Bear
Guys.... i am quite confused.... How do i know and check what kind of external flash is suitable for FZ20?

natnivek said:
Hi... You can check out this thread.

hey natnivek,

din u go PLUG ?? or now studying at home ??

:what:

k3nn3th03 said:
hey natnivek,

din u go PLUG ?? or now studying at home ??

:what:

Nope... Went for class in the morning till late afternoon. Was thinking of dropping by PLUG but came down with a flu... Must be the weather. :(
You didn't go also ah?

I got confused after i read the thread... cos i just got a emoblitz 280AZ from MS for less then $50..... and it can work with FZ20 but will it harm the camera in long run?

natnivek said:
Nope... Went for class in the morning till late afternoon. Was thinking of dropping by PLUG but came down with a flu... Must be the weather. :(
You didn't go also ah?

work leh..

told JD liao.. :cry:

haiz..

Got question here bout flash..

@ wat is bounce card? how it function? where can get it? how much? same with disffuser?

ill help abit,if im wrong some 1 pls correct me :)

difusser is like to make the flash less strong,such as covering it ,well lets say with socks maybe :p

bounce card is as the name implies,used to bounce the flash,better explaination gotta wait for the old birds :)

Reno said:
I got confused after i read the thread... cos i just got a emoblitz 280AZ from MS for less then $50..... and it can work with FZ20 but will it harm the camera in long run?

You will need to check the trigger voltage. For flashes, particularly those older model where they were used for film, are typically come with very high trigger voltage.

If you are refering to one of those, then it will BBQ your digital camera. FZ10 and FZ20 external flash should not have trigger voltage that is more than 20v. Check your FZ manual...it is stated in there...

fz5 said:
Got question here bout flash..

@ wat is bounce card? how it function? where can get it? how much? same with disffuser?

Bounce card is a piece of whiteboard cut in the size where it can be hold on top of your external flash, so that it can bounce the light from the flash.

Diffuser a.k.a. omni bounce is a plastic cover that covers on top of your flash.

Both serves similar and yet different purposes.

Omni bounce can be easilt obtained in camera shops, while bounce card can self made...

JimDavis said:
Bounce card is a piece of whiteboard cut in the size where it can be hold on top of your external flash, so that it can bounce the light from the flash.

Diffuser a.k.a. omni bounce is a plastic cover that covers on top of your flash.

Both serves similar and yet different purposes.

Omni bounce can be easilt obtained in camera shops, while bounce card can self made...

I have clear info from you.

Anyway we use bounce flash cos wanna cover the whole area of the light right? and we use omni bounce to make the flash less strong.

Anyway, if we use bounce flash with the black ceiling, wat color will be bounce to the area? black?

JimDavis said:
You will need to check the trigger voltage. For flashes, particularly those older model where they were used for film, are typically come with very high trigger voltage.

If you are refering to one of those, then it will BBQ your digital camera. FZ10 and FZ20 external flash should not have trigger voltage that is more than 20v. Check your FZ manual...it is stated in there...

I notice this emoblitz 280AZ does not state the triggering voltage... but how do i check it? i could not find the website.

fz5 said:
I have clear info from you.

Anyway we use bounce flash cos wanna cover the whole area of the light right? and we use omni bounce to make the flash less strong.

Anyway, if we use bounce flash with the black ceiling, wat color will be bounce to the area? black?

Bounce cards are used in places where there is wall or ceiling, or ceiling and walls too far or high, where nothing to bounce. Bouncing helps to soften the flash, to allow for more natural skin tones, and definitions, same for omnibounce, or diffusers.

If you bounce on black surface or dark surface, the effects of the flash are reduced a lot more, and hence can result in under-exposed shots.

For bounce card, the size of it also affect the exposure. If you are using the bounce card to take a group of people, the two far end will be so of under. As such, try to aviod taking a big group with bounce.

Cheers
John

Reno said:
I notice this emoblitz 280AZ does not state the triggering voltage... but how do i check it? i could not find the website.

I remember one of the very old thread here actually pointed us to a web site to check...maybe you would want to do a search? :dunno:

JimDavis said:
I remember one of the very old thread here actually pointed us to a web site to check...maybe you would want to do a search? :dunno:

issit? ok.. i will do a search....

John Teoh said:
For bounce card, the size of it also affect the exposure. If you are using the bounce card to take a group of people, the two far end will be so of under. As such, try to aviod taking a big group with bounce.

Cheers
John

I was trying to make my own bounce card and was advised by a friend to have at least two colours on each side of the card. White and Gold. The gold side is supposed to be better for portrait shots and will generally give a warmer feel to your pic. What do you guys think? :dunno:

natnivek said:
I was trying to make my own bounce card and was advised by a friend to have at least two colours on each side of the card. White and Gold. The gold side is supposed to be better for portrait shots and will generally give a warmer feel to your pic. What do you guys think? :dunno:

Generally have seen 3 types of bounce colors. : white, silver and gold.

rhair78 said:
Generally have seen 3 types of bounce colors. : white, silver and gold.

more more bout this thing.. very interested!!

anyway, any website teach how to do bounce card?

Status
Not open for further replies.