Seagate 8GB CF card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
To all those Canon owners, who are looking forward to this CF card, don't bother.
Our Canon cams are not compatible ... here's the reply from Canon today ....

"Due to the ever-increasing number of companies manufacturing and selling
CompactFlash cards, we cannot test and evaluate all the different
brands, sizes, and speeds of cards available in the retail market. Any
card with a capacity up to 2048GB that adheres to the Type I or Type II
CompactFlash card standards, and is formatted with either a 16 bit
(cards up to 2GB) or 32 bit (for cards larg er than 2GB) file addressing
system, should work in your camera. " :cry:

Did I see a 2048GB :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :sweat:

??

From the quote that your wrote, I understand it to be "as long as they conform to the CF standards" and "formatted for the respective file capacities" they should work!

Did I misunderstand?

Technically speaking, it would be possible to use a 2000gig CF card if someone manufactures it to CF I and CF II standards, and if you can afford it!!

CYRN said:
Did I see a 2048GB :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :sweat:

Haha .... that Canon guy has a typo error .... he meant Kb la ... :bsmilie:

it took my 20D 11mins n 5D 10mins to format the 4GB
microdrive card i bought from the sitex show.
imagine 2048GB!!!

jude
ps-got a full refund as the seagate tech claimed
its as fast as a 40x card.

just saw the card advertised in today's digital life. how come the 8GB CF card have ultra fast 3600RPM drive? sounds like a microdrive to me. :dunno:

Canonised said:
To all those Canon owners, who are looking forward to this CF card, don't bother.

did they say WHICH canon cams are not compatible? AFAIK, all the latest canon DSLRs support FAT32 - ie can read CF cards greater than 2GB. ur prosumers and PnS cams might be the ones having problems cos not all are FAT32 compatible.

Canonised said:

From what I read above it says that it should work i.e. you should be able to use the newer bigger cards.

judeseah said:
it took my 20D 11mins n 5D 10mins to format the 4GB
microdrive card i bought from the sitex show.
imagine 2048GB!!!

jude
ps-got a full refund as the seagate tech claimed
its as fast as a 40x card.
From the datasheet, the read/write speed is 33MB/s max :bigeyes: that's 220X speed in relative terms!! :bigeyes:
Sandisk Ultra II is 9MB/s (60X).

Even if the speed is only half true at 16mb/s it's still faster than my current CF card!

yanyewkay said:
From the datasheet, the read/write speed is 33MB/s max :bigeyes: that's 220X speed in relative terms!! :bigeyes:

Even if the speed is only half true at 16mb/s it's still faster than my current CF card!

but the bottle neck would be your cam's I/O. :dunno:

Genesis said:
Bingo. There is the potential problem.

yanyewkay said:

thought should be around 8.8mb/s...
maybe = to about 40-50x speed...
*waiting for the ppl to test out.

Genesis said:
If the cam's buffer is big enough.
should be able to take for "normal" shooting not machine gun type...

Genesis said:
i believe the camera's I/O should be pretty fast. The bottle neck is usually at the storage medium (CF card) so if we hit the bottle neck in at 33MB/s then I'll be really disapointed.

I wonder if camera makers will reveal the max i/o speed of the camera :think:

this will be a good idea so we don't spend on anything we know won't do us any good. Imagine buying a SanDisk Extreme III just to find out your P&S cannot fully utilise the access speed :think:

Genesis said:

Agree! :)
Compare a download from your cam and card reader with the same CF card. You will notice the difference

I got a friend working for the consumer product at Seagate. As far as i know, his advise is most of the current models of camera had been tested and Seagate's Firmware had been revised to correct all the flaws they found. However, if your camera have a firmware update, then its hard to say. He says that Seagate actually buys the latest consumer products and test them but as there is a very large market out there, they cannot keep testing the same product after a firmware change.

That does mean their product is not compatible but its only tested depending on the model and Firmware of the camera they purchased. Seagate had corrected the earlier flaws which drains the power due to the drive motor.

The Seagate "8GB CF card" is a microdrive.

OK, got the latest information:
Camera Model Camera Firmware --- Drive Firmware
Canon EOS 1Ds 1.0.3 --- 3.01, 3.02
Canon EOS 10D 2.0.1 --- 3.01, 3.02
Canon EOS 20D 1.0.5, 1.1.0, 2.0.0, 2.0.2 --- 3.01, 3.02
Canon EOS 20D 2.0.3 --- 3.02
Canon EOS 300D 1.1.1 --- 3.01, 3.02
Canon EOS 350D 1.0.1, 1.0.2 --- 3.01, 3.02
Canon EOS 1D Mark II 1.0.2, 1.0.3, 1.1.0, 1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.2.3, 1.2.4 --- 3.01, 3.02
Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II 1.1.4 --- 3.01, 3.02

Q: My Photo Drive is painfully slow while formatting, taking several consencutive pictures, and while previewing captured images. I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT*. What's wrong?
A: There is a known incompatibility with the latest released camera firmware (1.0.3) and the current drive firmware. This causes the observed slow performance.
Check the firmware version on the camera menu. If you have recently purchased your Digital Rebel XT (* a.k.a. EOS 350D or Kiss Digital N), the camera firmware is most likely to be 1.0.3. The previous firmware ,version 1.0.2, works well with our drives.
A similar issue has also been seen with the Canon EOS 20D and the recently released camera firmware 2.0.3. For this camera firmware 2.0.2 works well with our drives.

Q: How can I resolve the problem?
A: New drive firmware has been developed and tested for effectiveness in resolving this issue. Kindly bring your Photo Drive to the nearest Seagate Service Center for a firmware upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.